IGNORED

LED headlight bulb question.

Steve S

With my 1st Gen MK2 I actually went back to a PIAA hi output Halogen bulb after trying three different LED's. Although the LED was brighter I found it lacked projection, proper focus and definition of road objects with 90% of the light cast being directly in front allowing for much less reaction time. It is my belief that the reflector design is not well suited to the proper focusing of the LED bulb. On the other hand  if you can replace the entire headlight with a self contained LED sealed beam as you would be able too with the MK1 83-85 and other bikes that use a sealed beam or were the headlight can be replace with a complete sealed beam unit, it would be very effective since the LED and reflector are designed to work together.

some examples of sealed beam LED headlights.

https://www.grote.com/white-light/forward-lighting/led-sealed-beam-headlights/

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

Actually this bulb out performed the original bulb in the OEM light tremendously. For only $40 it greatly increased visibility, enough that the first time I had the wife along she asked what i did to it. Is it as good as an LED housing, maybe not but way better than what I had. 

I use the same bulb as RDawson and have the same results.  I have experienced the same as saddlebum in the past, but LED technology has come a long way recently.  The bulb from Superbright LEDs is truly a plug and play solution that works incredibly well with the OEM housing and reflector.  I had such good results that I also upgraded the bulbs on both my '10 Suburban and my '10 GMC Canyon with similarly spectacular results.  Unlike the LED replacement bulbs of just a few years ago, these focus like the halogens and have a distinct cutoff so that they can be aimed properly so you won't blind oncoming drivers.  You don't get all the light scatter that the older LED replacement bulbs were notorious for.

• Like 1

How is the radio interfearance (RFI) with this lamp?   About 6 years ago, I had an LED headlight installed.   The light was OK, but after we moved 70 miles SE of Nashville I noticed that I couldn't receive hardly any radio stations.      I found that interfearance from the LED headlight was making it difficult for my radio to receive weaker stations.      I'd appreciate it if somebody who has one of these SuperBright LEDs installed could tune in a weak AM and also a weak FM radio station with the key in the accessory position and then turn the key to ON to bring on the headlight and see if you notice interferance.

I just ordered the superbright LED and will check for radio station interference but, like MonsterBiker, I also mostly use the bluetooth-aux connection I installed to stream from my phone.

Edited by circa1968
grammar

I bought an h4 led about 4 years ago and after I received it I called Kisan to confirm my headlight modulator will work with it. Nope. Didn’t want to spend $100 on a new modulator so I put the led away on the shelf. I won’t ride without a headlight modulator. It is to me as important as a helmet. 
VentureFar…

The SuperBright LEDs bulb works quite well with the Kisan P115W modulator.  I know because I have them both installed on my RSV.  It even makes reflective road signs pulse in broad daylight.  I do find it funny how many people think I don't know my headlight is pulsing and feel the need to point it out to me.  😆

This is the one I have been running in my bike for the last year with no problems:  P115W

4 hours ago, MonsterBiker said:

The SuperBright LEDs bulb works quite well with the Kisan P115W modulator.  I know because I have them both installed on my RSV.  It even makes reflective road signs pulse in broad daylight.  I do find it funny how many people think I don't know my headlight is pulsing and feel the need to point it out to me.  😆

This is the one I have been running in my bike for the last year with no problems:  P115W

where did you install the sensor?

5 hours ago, MonsterBiker said:

At least you know its getting their attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:02 AM, frankd said:

How is the radio interfearance (RFI) with this lamp?   About 6 years ago, I had an LED headlight installed.   The light was OK, but after we moved 70 miles SE of Nashville I noticed that I couldn't receive hardly any radio stations.      I found that interfearance from the LED headlight was making it difficult for my radio to receive weaker stations.      I'd appreciate it if somebody who has one of these SuperBright LEDs installed could tune in a weak AM and also a weak FM radio station with the key in the accessory position and then turn the key to ON to bring on the headlight and see if you notice interferance.

I noticed no difference on the one FM station I occasionally listen to after installing the superbright LED.  No issue with bluetooth either.  Sorry, but I have not checked AM stations or any weak radio stations.