IGNORED

Spoke checking/monitoring made easy and other tire/tube mounting/patching ideas from the far side..

cowpuc

I have successfully used this simple method of checking for loose spokes on my motorcycles, bicycles for years and now finding myself doing the same on my E-bikes. This little trick came in VERY useful when racing Motocross, Enduros and Harescrambles on dirtbikes where the rear hub/spoke connection took major abuse but I also used it in my shop when swapping on different wheels on my Chopper builds. A simple slow spin (or not even spin at all, just go around and "tonk" on each spoke with a screw driver or other tool that could be used to make them "sing" worked fine too). Give it a try and see what you think and let me know in the comments below.. Puc

• Like 3

On 5/31/2021 at 4:02 PM, cowpuc said:

I have successfully used this simple method of checking for loose spokes on my motorcycles, bicycles for years and now finding myself doing the same on my E-bikes. This little trick came in VERY useful when racing Motocross, Enduros and Harescrambles on dirtbikes where the rear hub/spoke connection took major abuse but I also used it in my shop when swapping on different wheels on my Chopper builds. A simple slow spin (or not even spin at all, just go around and "tonk" on each spoke with a screw driver or other tool that could be used to make them "sing" worked fine too). Give it a try and see what you think and let me know in the comments below.. Puc

Hey @cowpucmaybe you could really fine tune them with a guitar tuner like this https://www.long-mcquade.com/6263/Guitars/Tuners/Apex-Electronics/Clip-On-Chromatic-Tuner.htm

or one of the free tuner apps you can put on your cell phone. Might be right handy for those who have a tin ear.