IGNORED

Tires for 88 Venture Royale with factory rims

I am trying to find a replacement set of rubbers for my 88 venture royale and it seems like a lot of people are running the Shinko 777 HD's on their bikes based on another forum post I found, however this was for the RSV not the venture royale. I can find a Shinko 777 HD for the rear but it doesn't appear they make a HD version for the front. Is having a HD tire on the rear and a non-HD tire on the front going to be a big deal? https://shinkotireusa.com/product/black-wall-sr777-sr777-hd-tire/211908

I am curious what other people are running on their venture royales as well. My bike currently has the Dunlop Elite 3's on it but they are on their last leg and I was hoping to try something different.

I run Shinko 230 Tourmaster on mine. Super economical, I got almost 11,000 miles out of my last set (yes front and rear), and I'm a big boy and ride semi free spirited. 😏 

I wouldn't consider any other tire 👍

• Like 1

I would gladly spend the big bucks on Elite 4's front and back if I did not do my own tire swaps but because I prefer to do my own swaps and really like the option of not having to depend on a bike shop if I have a flat while out CTFW, after trying pretty much most of the lower dollar tires out there, I will stick with Shink Tourmasters front and rear. Personally I  would have no problem running the 777 mixed in with a Tourmaster either.  On the other hand though, if a car tire would fit on the back I would definitely grab a never flat CT like Bill runs on his Wing.

You will have no issue running them together. Though the HD has a slightly higher load rating their basic construction is the same, making them totally compatible with each other.

The E4 replaces the E3 and is another great option as long as you don't intend to manually spoon the tires on yourself  unless you have one of those manual tire changer stands or better and not a tire you would want to hand spoon on the side of the road. Tire wise they are great tire with great ride, tire millage and road holding, although they are priced higher than the Shinko.

Thanks for the info guys, I have a bit of thinking to do. The reason I really want the 777 HD is because I will be running on the heavy side. Me and my wife on the bike plus a sidecar with our 80lb dog. I do like the idea of dark siding with a run flat especially since I won't be leaning the bike with the sidecar attached.

• Like 2

My 89 runs Shinkos just fine. The Tourmaster 230s.

My RSV has a 777 in front and a 230 in rear. My 777HD in the rear got a nail so all we could find to replace at @cowpuc's home town was the 230. Still running fine after 3 years. BTW, I learned a great deal from Puc about changing tires! He's good!

• Like 1