IGNORED

kick stand

Got a new to me Tour Deluxe 05 model. This is my second such as I had a '96 model years ago. Got a question about my kick stand. It will function but only at the right angle. Road the new bike yesterday and when it was time to kick stand could not get it down. Hard to get the right angle with my foot. Left me setting on it at the shop for sometime until I rigged away to make it stand up. Anybody have this experience?

Edited by Ivanhoe2005

not stiff, the angle is the problem. I move it with one finger at the right angle. Do you use your heel or toe to get it down. Had wrong shoes on yesterday, boots might be the trick or maybe holding my mouth right, thanks.

Edited by Ivanhoe2005

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 10:02 AM, Heimdog said:

I did once on a different bike, at an ATM.  Totally forgot to put the kickstand down.  How does one forget something like that?  

On 9/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, Marcarl said:

OOOOOH,,, that's easy for some of us!!

Its called sometimers .....Some times you just forget.:think:

Edited by saddlebum

• 2 months later...

My 87 venture I can’t honestly say how I put the stand down foot position wise but sometimes I get scared it’s leaning wayyy too far, even on level ground.  I’ve even had fellow riders think she was gonna fall or I forgot.  My Ducati on the other hand is the exact opposite, I hook my toe around the stand and hold it down while I set the bike into position, it’s spring loaded to always be up unless in use.  It sits sooo upright if I’m not on the perfect slope she has the potential to fall on her right side.  It’s honestly a pain to park at most all events because it’s too finicky to fall in-line with the other bikes.

11 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

My 87 venture I can’t honestly say how I put the stand down foot position wise but sometimes I get scared it’s leaning wayyy too far, even on level ground.  I’ve even had fellow riders think she was gonna fall or I forgot.  My Ducati on the other hand is the exact opposite, I hook my toe around the stand and hold it down while I set the bike into position, it’s spring loaded to always be up unless in use.  It sits sooo upright if I’m not on the perfect slope she has the potential to fall on her right side.  It’s honestly a pain to park at most all events because it’s too finicky to fall in-line with the other bikes.

I would look closer at that.  Might simply need to tighten the screw.  My kickstand broke, at the fork, bike fell over (the only drop ever with me) I replaced it with one off ebay, stood much straighter.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

You might want to check the slop in the bolt, just a little slop will make a big difference.

• Thanks 1

My 89 sits fine on the center stand but it sits too upright on the side stand. I always have to check ground grade before putting the side stand down and forget parking on the side of the road were the shoulders are narrow or it may fall over into the ditch.  At home I have an anchor ring pegged down in the driveway to secure the bike so the wind which comes from the west and pretty heavy at times does not blow my bike over when it is covered.

I tell my Harley ridding friends its because these bikes are so hot blooded that you have to tether them or they will just up and take off on their own.

124900511_20200714_124829(Medium).thumb.jpg.34667c669c6af2aeda2561f7d4f8c447.jpg

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marcarl said:

You might want to check the slop in the bolt, just a little slop will make a big difference.

As well it is a good idea to check or even replace the bolt as they have been known to break at the most inopportune time

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't tighten that pot metal.  Long as nut is fully on threads, I wouldn't touch it.  If you feel the need, maybe a washer or two shims. And keep an eye on it, the one thing that broke o my 83 and bike was laying on garage floor. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SpencerPJ said:

I wouldn't tighten that pot metal.  Long as nut is fully on threads, I wouldn't touch it.  If you feel the need, maybe a washer or two shims. And keep an eye on it, the one thing that broke o my 83 and bike was laying on garage floor. 

Are you referring to the bolt, kickstand or both?My first thought when I saw the bolt head was “that looks shoddy and weak”. Thought it might be a good idea to replace the bolt.  I also thought I can press the kickstand fork tighter but that may weaken it.  Shims could work.

Looks like the wear is in the frame eye.

OPTION 1; It there is plenty of meat drill out both frame bracket and kick stand to accept a larger diameter bolt.

OPTION 2; As long as there is enough meat and only the frame bracket is worn, slowly  drill it out until you end up with a round hole or close to round hole and  fit the hole with a steel bushing that has an inner hole same as bolt size. Try to get a snug fit but a sliding fit as long as there is no play is fine. Coat both hole and outside of bushing with Loctite's green sleeve and bearing set. Wait a few minutes, wipe away any excess and reassemble. BTW green Loctite will fill a void up to 0.020" securely.

• Like 1