IGNORED

My new improved 83

larrydr

I have removed 65 lbs from the 83 , and the balance / lean weight is much better ...When standing beside the bike .I can grab the handle bars with one hand and pull the bike 14 inches past center and push it back with one hand on the handle bars easily . ..I will be replace the one battery with 2 smaller ones at the rear of the bike in aluminum battery boxes down in front of the saddle bags .Most of the remaining weight is below the level of the seat .. I have lowered the bike 1 1/2 inches 

May 21 021.JPG

Edited by larrydr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Looks good from the front but whats with all the wires hanging off the side. You plan on going trolling

I was waiting for a small speedometer thinking I might move the monitor unit in at the handle bars near the key , I have moved the relays near that location . I have rad over flow on the other side , am trying mount it so that I could make a right and left cover to have the appearance of  fuel tank and make a removable lid to access the over flow ...I find these kind of conversions are never as easy as the planning is 

7 hours ago, larrydr said:

...I find these kind of conversions are never as easy as the planning is 

That's why after years of experience I have come up with a series of steps  to simplify conversions:

A: Stop planning or thinking ( the second part of this step has gotten easier for me over the years )

B: Should step "A" not proceed as intended sit and drink a few beers ( as many as it takes ) until you get back on track with "A"

C; Sit Back and let others do the conversions ( I find it produces less headaches ) this step may require a beer or 2 or ...... to make it more effective.

D: This step is optional: While in step "C" Criticize heavily and don't forget to wear your couch potatoes  badge to lend an air of officialness. (any shyness here can be overcome with the assistance of a few beers taken as needed)

BTW would love to see some side picks.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, saddlebum said:

That's why after years of experience I have come up with a series of steps  to simplify conversions:

A: Stop planning or thinking ( the second part of this step has gotten easier for me over the years )

B: Should step "A" not proceed as intended sit and drink a few beers ( as many as it takes ) until you get back on track with "A"

C; Sit Back and let others do the conversions ( I find it produces less headaches ) this step may require a beer or 2 or ...... to make it more effective.

D: This step is optional: While in step "C" Criticize heavily and don't forget to wear your couch potatoes  badge to lend an air of officialness. (any shyness here can be overcome with the assistance of a few beers taken as needed)

Next on the list is to hookup and mount computer monitor , there some features that will be handy .. I also need to make a small dash panel for the signal lights, neutral , high beam  and temp gauge .. I plan on painting the remainder of the bike  ... My ground clearance under center shock is 5 inches at 15 lbs and 6 1/12 inches at 22 lbs air pressure  I have had the bike apart bolt by bolt from front to back ..It has been a 10 month project

Next on the list is to hookup and mount computer monitor , there some features that will be handy .. I also need to make a small dash panel for the signal lights, neutral , high beam  and temp gauge .. I plan on painting the remainder of the bike  ... My ground clearance under center shock is 5 inches at 15 lbs and 6 1/12 inches at 22 lbs air pressure  I have had the bike apart bolt by bolt from front to back ..It has been a 10 month project

Next on the list is to hookup and mount computer monitor , there some features that will be handy .. I also need to make a small dash panel for the signal lights, neutral , high beam  and temp gauge .. I plan on painting the remainder of the bike  ... My ground clearance under center shock is 5 inches at 15 lbs and 6 1/12 inches at 22 lbs air pressure  I have had the bike apart bolt by bolt from front to back ..It has been a 10 month project

On 5/21/2021 at 7:40 AM, saddlebum said:

I appreciate your sense of humor ,, The are times when doing a project like this you need a sense of humor 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, larrydr said:

I appreciate your sense of humor ,, The are times when doing a project like this you need a sense of humor 

So true or the ability to walk away and give the steam build up in your head a chance to blow off before you turn a minor set back into a major disaster.  Then come back after a few beers ......I mean after you cool down.

My wife can sometimes be a savior here. When she sees I am starting to ride the edge, she will suddenly  call  me in for coffee and cake or pie (sorry no beer this time) than as we sit down she will begin to chatter away like a blue jay about anything that does not revolve around bikes or whatever I am working on and before you know it I am back in the garage with a better frame of mind.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saddlebum said:

So true or the ability to walk away and give the steam build up in your head a chance to blow off before you turn a minor set back into a major disaster.  Then come back after a few beers ......I mean after you cool down.

My wife can sometimes be a savior here. When she sees I am starting to ride the edge, she will suddenly  call  me in for coffee and cake or pie (sorry no beer this time) than as we sit down she will begin to chatter away like a blue jay about anything that does not revolve around bikes or whatever I am working on and before you know it I am back in the garage with a better frame of mind.

So you are saying that after a hurricane even a cloudy day seems like a ray of sunshine?

• Haha 1