IGNORED

High way pegs and mounts

What do you guys use for highway peg mounts? I have tried a couple of things but can't seem to get them to stay in one place.  I have used the spacers and even got gorilla tape to try to get them to stick.  Didn't work.  

• Like 1

As a last resort, try using a strip of aluminum oxide sandpaper under the clamp and over the crash bar. It worked well on my bike.  BUT BE ADVISED: It will permanently disfigure the chrome (assuming you are installing them on the crash bars.

Someone else may have other ideas.

Jim

Depends on where I am mounting the pegs.. On my MK1's I always mount them to the crash/engine guard bars and have found that the ultimate way to secure them in my case is to get em where I want them and then drill thru the mounts and into the crash bars and tap/thread it and pin it permanently.. That way I can even stand on them if I want to without fear of them moving.  I also mounted them on the rear crash bars for Tippy, my wife - BFF - permanent ride partner in the same fashion so she had an extra place to move her feet to when riding those 16 to 18 hour ride days and found "pinning" them to be the best solution on those rear clamp on highway pegs too. Keep in mind, they still fold up and down for convenience.. Now if we are talking frame mount highway pegs I would not do so for fear of loss of integrity of the frame.  In the old days, clamp on frame mount crash bars with highway pegs were fairly common.. It was also not uncommon to see a bike frame ruined by an over tightened "U-Bolt clamp" and/or a bike having fallen over on the crash bar and bending/tweeking the frame where the crash bar was clamped on.. I only mention that so your careful mounting directly on the frame if the bike you are wanting to mount highway pegs to is of that type. 

Edited by cowpuc

If you do not want to mark or drill your crash bars I find Kuryakyn is the way to go; and you can even mix and match individual components to create the setup that suits you.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/category/42/highway-cruise-pegs

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4029/offset-highway-pegs

https://www.kuryakyn.com/category/20/clamps-mounts

Edited by saddlebum

I used the Kury  offset highway design. Shoot they have been on 3 different bikes. First was a Kawi 900 then the RSV and now the Victory. They are looking pretty raged  now. The chrom actually went south about 2 years or so after I got them.

6 hours ago, djh3 said:

I used the Kury  offset highway design. Shoot they have been on 3 different bikes. First was a Kawi 900 then the RSV and now the Victory. They are looking pretty raged  now. The chrom actually went south about 2 years or so after I got them.

Had Kury's with extensions and longhorns on the bike for 14 years and the only missing chrome is where they scraped the road during sharp turns.

Yea it took awhile and I imagine where they are (lower) road chips probably didnt help none. But I take them apart, sand them a little and paint with a Krylon hammered style paint. Good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 2:28 AM, saddlebum said:

Had Kury's with extensions and longhorns on the bike for 14 years and the only missing chrome is where they scraped the road during sharp turns.

@saddlebum if I remember from another post you have short legs too.  I’ve got a 30” inseam and my Mk2 has wind deflectors so I’m in the market for both wide and close.  You think those Longhorns would do the job?  What do you mean by extensions?  I’ve been looking for pegs a while now but nothing has jumped out, probably because I can’t see anything in person.  Doesn’t seem like anyone stocks these kinda things.

8 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@saddlebum if I remember from another post you have short legs too.  I’ve got a 30” inseam and my Mk2 has wind deflectors so I’m in the market for both wide and close.  You think those Longhorns would do the job?  What do you mean by extensions?  I’ve been looking for pegs a while now but nothing has jumped out, probably because I can’t see anything in person.  Doesn’t seem like anyone stocks these kinda things.

No I actually have long legs. I can put my feet down flat and still slightly bend my knees. My inseam is 35".

This is the extended part. It replaces the short part that comes standard with the highway pedal.https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/559/male-mount-footpeg-extensions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is my 2 cents worth, works awsome, built my own forward gearset and replaced the brake pedal with a longer one so i can access from both pegs, be mindful, this is a trike, i use my heel for brake pedal when using front pegs, works great20220614_122741.thumb.jpg.8386fe5b1e0b04032c7aa040894e7954.jpg20220614_122755.thumb.jpg.08693ff4ede14d787c2bb1f732857dca.jpg