IGNORED

Not as smart as I think I am...

So, purchased ’83 Venture Thursday and started cleaning her up and doing basic service today. Changed oil and filter, replaced spark plugs, attempted to replace rear gear oil but can’t get fill screw out (penetrating oil hopefully doing it’s thing). Felt pretty confident and decided to do a coolant drain & fill (only drained after reading some horror stories of flushing and/or cleaning). Pulled drain plug, removed plugs on the pistons & replaced, replaced drain plug, filled radiator & started her up. After 5-10 minutes of idling, coolant level didn’t drop & fan didn’t kick on but engine got hot. Unfortunately the temp gauge isn’t currently functional so I have no point of reference. Apparently I had the coolant valve set to “off” when it should have been “on” for the fill. I assume there’s air in the system now? No fluid in reservoir & I haven’t added any there yet.

What do I do? Flip the valve to “on” with a cold engine & start her up? How long before the level should decrease? I’m concerned the thermostat may have gotten stuck open but after my boneheaded mistake I’m hoping all will be well after some guidance. I’m aware of the pump impeller issues but right now I need to keep this on a tight budget so I’m hoping to avoid cracking into anything else at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When the engine is cold remove the rad cap and switch the valve to on then just let it sit for a bit. You may want to pinch the hose for the overflow so it does not drain all its coolant out. May not hurt to lower the rad level a bit but you do not need to drain it right down after letting it sit refill. turn the valve to off  (for now leave the hose for the overflow pinched off or leave the over flow empty ) and warm the engine up to temp. If you watch the temp gauge you will see it slowly climb then make a sudden slight drop ( this when the thermostat opens ) Let it do this a couple  times ( you will notice a smaller drop each time as the engine warms ). After a couple cycles shut down the engine and let it fully cool down. Once cooled down Remove the rad cap top up the rad and replace rad cap then un-pinch and/or top up the overflow tank to its cold level. This is a bit overkill but the surest way of making sure air is removed from the cooling system.

Also if the bike is on the center stand while doing this tip the bike back so the front wheel is up and the back wheel down by either weighing or tying down the back of the bike. this makes the front of the bike the high point to which you want any air in the system to gravitate too.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

Thx, Saddlebum! Unfortunately before I was able to repeat the process I found the coolant plug on the #1 cylinder was leaking. Started from scratch & drained it according to the manual making sure I flipped the valve to on. I pulled the plug from the leaking cylinder and drained it (left the other 3), re-cleaned the plug & hole and applied a thin layer of blue RTV gasket. Waiting on drying before refilling.

I appreciate the guidance and makes sense however my secondary issue is my temperature gauge is not functioning. This is what added to my anxiety, not knowing if I'm overheating the engine. One of my next steps is to replace the speedometer cable so I'll be pulling the dash and can troubleshoot the gauge directly at that time but any insight as to why my gauge isn't reading or quick troubleshooting options?

While I've got anyone's ear who's willing to listen & help, my other current issue is my final gear oil replacement. Loosened the drain plug but for the life of me can't get the fill plug loose. Repeatedly shot it with PB Blaster (even waited 12 hours), used hex wrench with breaker bar, manual impact driver with hex socket, even put my Dewalt impact driver on it. Anxious about applying a torch to it. For a drain plug I can't understand why it's so difficult. Thoughts?

Thx in advance & hope to be able to eventually contribute versus just garnering everyone's help to fix my ride!

3 hours ago, JFootman said:

Thx, Saddlebum! Unfortunately before I was able to repeat the process I found the coolant plug on the #1 cylinder was leaking. Started from scratch & drained it according to the manual making sure I flipped the valve to on. I pulled the plug from the leaking cylinder and drained it (left the other 3), re-cleaned the plug & hole and applied a thin layer of blue RTV gasket. Waiting on drying before refilling.

I appreciate the guidance and makes sense however my secondary issue is my temperature gauge is not functioning. This is what added to my anxiety, not knowing if I'm overheating the engine. One of my next steps is to replace the speedometer cable so I'll be pulling the dash and can troubleshoot the gauge directly at that time but any insight as to why my gauge isn't reading or quick troubleshooting options?

While I've got anyone's ear who's willing to listen & help, my other current issue is my final gear oil replacement. Loosened the drain plug but for the life of me can't get the fill plug loose. Repeatedly shot it with PB Blaster (even waited 12 hours), used hex wrench with breaker bar, manual impact driver with hex socket, even put my Dewalt impact driver on it. Anxious about applying a torch to it. For a drain plug I can't understand why it's so difficult. Thoughts?

Thx in advance & hope to be able to eventually contribute versus just garnering everyone's help to fix my ride!

Try hitting it a couple times with the hammer like you're driving a nail in just not so hard that you're going to break something sometimes it will Jarr the threads and let it break loose. Even better if you have a brass punch to hold against it while you're hitting it with the hammer

• Like 1