IGNORED

Royale lift plate.

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

I don't think so.  I asked the same question back when and I was told most just jack it up under the exhaust pipes.  cringe!  

That's what most of us do on the 1st gens and so far I have not known it to be an issue.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ese said:

Is there a lift plate that someone makes or sells to put for the bike jack? Like I had to have for my RSTD.  It's an 89' Royale.

I use the harbor freight motorcycle jack https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-steel-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html

put the rear pad just about where the center stand is the front on the pipes and she’s solid as a rock.  You’ll want to strap it down if removing wheels, she still sits pretty balanced but can get a wobbly.

• Like 1

We'll I aquired this bike from the pay forward on here awhile back. I've had to have some surgeries but now I'm good again ride the tour deluxe regularly, but I'm ready to start working on the Royale. New starter, stator, rectifier (came with it) and battery for sure. I know she will need tires and fluid changes. Seems to be a solid bike. Like to get her rolling again .Thanks for the input on the lifting.

Just a note on how strong the pipes are, and what not to do.  When I first used the lift I was a little nervous and had the bike strapped down with a ratchet strap.  Then not thinking I wanted to position the jack in a higher position, so I pumped the pedal on the jack and in a handful of pumps the strap had all it could handle and broke like a bad winch cable.  No damage to me or the bike thankfully. @BlueSky @saddlebum @ese

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 1

I as well use the Harbor Freight jack.  Weird thing happens, almost every time, for whatever reason, my thermostat housing leaks coolant.  Never an issue any other time.  I have considered making some wood blocks to contact the frame.  Anyone else done this?  

Some of the old timers on this Forum used hockey pucks placed on top of the jack to align with the frame of the bike.  If you get them located  properly, then you can bolt them to the jack if you are going to dedicate the jack to that model of bike.  Conversely, you could build a light frame out of angle and mount the pucks to that and set it over the jack.  Also, you can use short pieces of 2 x 4 blocks to do the same thing.

Jim

• Like 2