IGNORED

Gen 1 CB trouble

16 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I posted this originally in the gen 1 tech forum but it quickly became not a generation issue but an electronic issue.  Any help is appreciated. 

Pasta, if you know all this...disregard. Otherwise....

I just went through all of my manuals and can't find any reference to Yamaha using error codes for the cb.

So... If that's true then the "7" you see is the channel the unit is on. If you can't change channels, then that's one problem. Since you are already having fun with the circuit board, I'll not go farther. 

Download the manual from our site. The wiring and block diagrams are detailed. There is a problem flow chart to follow for different issues. 

Hope this helps. I have the manuals on my phone and can email to you. But they are available on site.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @videoarizona I’ll have to see if I can find the CB schematic.  It’s not an error code, the CB is working fine when turned on.  The 7 appears when it is powered off, it’s picking up stray voltage from somewhere.  It even displays the 7 when the ignition is off.  So being that the CB circuit is ACC and ON only I’ve got a starting point.

7 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Thanks @videoarizona I’ll have to see if I can find the CB schematic.  It’s not an error code, the CB is working fine when turned on.  The 7 appears when it is powered off, it’s picking up stray voltage from somewhere.  It even displays the 7 when the ignition is off.  So being that the CB circuit is ACC and ON only I’ve got a starting point.

Yikes. Guess I didn't get that from first post. You definitely have a crossed wire somewhere. Let me know if you can't find the schematic, I can email or PM the file to you. 

7 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

Yikes. Guess I didn't get that from first post. You definitely have a crossed wire somewhere. Let me know if you can't find the schematic, I can email or PM the file to you. 

Shoot.. The files are in my phone. Here ya go. Hope this helps.

1st gen audio schematic.jpg

1989 VR Wiring.pdf CB System Introduction - 86 tech manual.pdf CB Radio troubleshooting - 86 tech manual.pdf CB radio cabling - 86 tech manual.pdf

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, videoarizona said:

Odd thing is I didn’t touch anything.  I did do mechanical work, putting in new springs and some carb seating.  I don’t know if I saw this before I replaced the springs or only after.  It wasn’t happening to my knowledge before winter.  I ought to start a journal of every ride and note anomalies at least that would give me a timeline.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 8:45 PM, videoarizona said:

Did you ever figure out the CB issue?

Well kind of but in the full sense no.  I wanted to ride and having that gaping hole wasn’t an option for me.  I did confirm that the Squelch Pot is no longer functional.  I bought a 50K pot from Radio Shack to confirm cb function and all checked out and Is working with the CB on.  What I bought though is electrically correct but not physically compatible.  So now I’m on the hunt for a replacement pot that fits the CB knob.  As for the “7” displaying I haven’t gotten that far into it, I want to eliminate one variable at a time. So for now, I have the connectors disconnected And sealed.  And the unit reinstalled.  Thanks for checking in on it.  This may be a wintertime fix.

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, Pasta Burner said:

@videoarizona you don’t happen to know of an IPB for the CB unit do you?  What I need is a PN for the squelch knob pot.  The only indication was 503B but that isn’t specific enough.

No I don't. But looking at the knob.... Any old time tape deck or audio board for electronics have those same knobs. Look like the same size innards!

I would go cruising pawn shops, etc..

49 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

No I don't. But looking at the knob.... Any old time tape deck or audio board for electronics have those same knobs. Look like the same size innards!

I would go cruising pawn shops, etc..

We have a lot of those out here.  Pawn shops that is.

• Like 1