IGNORED

Hazard lights on RSTD

ese

I may be whipping a dead horse here but I searched the forum with different key words to no avail. I'm wondering if anyone has put hazard light/ emergency flashers on there RSTD?  If so what was the process?

Kit,  homemade? Difficulty?

I used this brake light modulator BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics .  It allows the option of adding a fused switch which I wired directly to the battery.  Mounted the switch under the seat, which I can reach while riding if necessary.  Since the switch is wired directly to the battery, it allows operation even with the bike off.  Granted, it doesn't do any good in the front, but better than nothing.  Thankfully, I've never had to use it.1457095551_BackOffSwitch.thumb.JPG.6623fdd6aeeecfd715313037e44853f1.JPG

This is no help to you but I think that’s an odd feature to get rid of on Yamahas end.  I was amazed to stumble upon the hazard switch on my 87 last year.  Unfortunately got to use it broke down in the left turn lane of a 7 lane interchange on I15 with my 14yo daughter.  Hazards kept most people from flipping us off while we worked out the problem.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:16 PM, Leland said:

I used this brake light modulator BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics .  It allows the option of adding a fused switch which I wired directly to the battery.  Mounted the switch under the seat, which I can reach while riding if necessary.  Since the switch is wired directly to the battery, it allows operation even with the bike off.  Granted, it doesn't do any good in the front, but better than nothing.  Thankfully, I've never had to use it.1457095551_BackOffSwitch.thumb.JPG.6623fdd6aeeecfd715313037e44853f1.JPG

Taking this one step further, can you use the module to trigger a relay that is wired to the front turn signals? May need to isolate the turn signal relay from the circuit but maybe not...

You could, and I am just going off the top of my head here without studying the bikes schematics, I would say you would need two relays one for each light ( Left and right ) since you do not want to interfere with normal signal function. Cut the wire to the left signal light. Connect the wire coming from the the light to terminal 30 and the other wire to terminal  87a. . (which is NC) Now do the same thing with the second relay and the right signal light. At this point the signal lights should work as normal again.

Next, tap into the red wire from the back off module and run to terminals 87 of both relays.

Connect terminals 85 of both relays to ground

Connect terminals 86 of both relays to either the yellow wire of the back off module or the same terminal on the optional switch the yellow wire is connected to.

this should keep the front signals operating as normal when the optional switch is off but switch the lights over to the back off module when the optional switch is on.

• Like 2