IGNORED

CB displaying 7

I can’t believe a search in title doesn’t return anything to “CB”!  Anyway this just started happening this season but my CB is displaying a faint 7 when off.  I don’t use it as I understand it only works with the intercom, although it does play static through the speakers if turned on.  If I turn it on it seems to display fine but when I turn it off it has a faint erratic 7.  Played with it some tonight in the garage and it eventually went away but we’ll see for how long.  Anybody else have this phenomenon?

Ok lets start with A) It has nothing to do with the intercom but to get full function  you need a headset or at the very least a mic attached to the connector by the fuel tank cover or the passenger hook. B) Without a head set or mike you can still monitor calls or conversations within the channel you are set on you just cannot reply.

So now as far as your issue goes I would begin with carefully removing, taking apart and cleaning the switch assembly on the left handlebar. sometimes the transmit switch gets sticky or dirty and this leaves the CB confused as to whether it should be in transmit mode or receive mode. When I say take apart carefully it is because the parts inside are small and springy and would love to disappear into the parallel universe only to re-appear weeks or months later after you scrambled to buy beg or steal replacement pieces. I often park the bike on a thick old blanket or sleeping bag to eliminate the bounce away across the floor factor.

If this does not solve the issue than dig in and check all connectors related to the CB for bad or dirty connections. Finally if still not resolved try another CB possibly borrow one if you can if that solves the issue than replace it.

Edited by saddlebum

2 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Ok lets start with A) It has nothing to do with the intercom but to get full function  you need a headset or at the very least a mic attached to the connector by the fuel tank cover or the passenger hook. B) Without a head set or mike you can still monitor calls or conversations within the channel you are set on you just cannot reply.

So now as far as your issue goes I would begin with carefully removing, taking apart and cleaning the switch assembly on the left handlebar. sometimes the transmit switch gets sticky or dirty and this leaves the CB confused as to whether it should be in transmit mode or receive mode. When I say take apart carefully it is because the parts inside are small and springy and would love to disappear into the parallel universe only to re-appear weeks or months later after you scrambled to buy beg or steal replacement pieces. I often park the bike on a thick old blanket or sleeping bag to eliminate the bounce away across the floor factor.

If this does not solve the issue than dig in and check all connectors related to the CB for bad or dirty connections. Finally if still not resolved try another CB possibly borrow one if you can if that solves the issue than replace it.

Ahhh I didn’t know you could monitor on CB through the speakers, that makes sense though considering it plays static just fine, I’m surprised though that I can’t tune anything in or seem to set the squelch to no static.  I don’t think anything is stuck but it’ll be good to check I’ve found with sticky buttons rather than taking it apart it’s often effective to exercise them while squirting some contact cleaner or 90% IPA in there.

blanket idea is good, never heard of that, usually just put it down for comfort.

3 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Ahhh I didn’t know you could monitor on CB through the speakers, that makes sense though considering it plays static just fine, I’m surprised though that I can’t tune anything in or seem to set the squelch to no static.  I don’t think anything is stuck but it’ll be good to check I’ve found with sticky buttons rather than taking it apart it’s often effective to exercise them while squirting some contact cleaner or 90% IPA in there.

blanket idea is good, never heard of that, usually just put it down for comfort.

I came up with the idea some years ago after getting tired of chasing stuff across the floor.

As far as using a spray 1st with a straw, I should have suggested that as well as I too often do that (my Bad) My personal preference for that is ACF50 https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html  available through amazon, aircraft spruce and many motorcycle dealers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

What brewery is doing a 90% IPA? 

• Haha 1

@saddlebum before I go chasing ghosts am I correct that the CB and Radio use the same antenna? I pulled the CB out thinking maybe the antenna wasn’t connected or maybe something else loose.  All looked good albeit 30 years of dust.  The radio comes in very well and none of the buttons seemed to stick anywhere.  RX / TX function and display as it should.  On the surface the problem seems to be an inability to adjust squelch.  I’m guessing a POT or Riostat.?.  Going to take the CB to work tomorrow and pull it apart.

9 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@saddlebum before I go chasing ghosts am I correct that the CB and Radio use the same antenna? I pulled the CB out thinking maybe the antenna wasn’t connected or maybe something else loose.  All looked good albeit 30 years of dust.  The radio comes in very well and none of the buttons seemed to stick anywhere.  RX / TX function and display as it should.  On the surface the problem seems to be an inability to adjust squelch.  I’m guessing a POT or Riostat.?.  Going to take the CB to work tomorrow and pull it apart.

Bum is still sleeping, so I can answer that for you. On the first gens the single antenna is used for both, on the second gens, oem is to use 2 antennas. There should be a splitter box on the 1st gens.

• Haha 1

Well I cleaned the Pot and put it back together kinda to test it and got the same results but I do feel a little resistance on the knob now so maybe something is happening.  So I decided I may try to pull and bench test the Pot and see about a replacement when I noticed a broken wire.  Not sure if I did it or if I missed it during initial disassembly.  Either way I’ll take it back to work tomorrow to find the wires home and solder it back in place.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:14 AM, Marcarl said:

Bum is still sleeping, so I can answer that for you. On the first gens the single antenna is used for both, on the second gens, oem is to use 2 antennas. There should be a splitter box on the 1st gens.

Thanks for covering for me @Marcarl

• Like 1

Not much of an update, large chunk of my day got sidetracked waiting for a missile delivery that of course was hours late and ended with minor complication, but successful delivery.  Just another day with the USAF 😜.  I found the broken wire home and discovered a handful more that are hanging on by a strand or two.  The conformal coating on those shows obvious signs of heat.  I think I’m going to rework all those connections.  Day off tomorrow but going in for some needed catchup so hopefully I’ll find some bench time to work it more.

So I still have no idea why it was displaying a “7” but that seems to be gone.  Up until today I have been overly impressed with the engineering and quality of this machine.  Maybe the CB units were outsourced but I came across the most inappropriate design for attaching fly wires to a circuit card.  Most of the wires have broken strands.  They thought it a good idea to solder 26 AWG stranded copper to a surface pad.  Not even plated strands.  Anyway I put the OEM design back in place and bench tested the squelch Pot which failed.  Radio Shack didn’t have a 50k of the right dimension in stock but for a couple bucks I bought one electrically correct to perform another bench test.  Everything seems to work correct now.  I tested with my truck cb and it receives well and will transmit static to my truck when PTT is exercised.  I tried using a 5pin cobra mic that I had laying around but it didn’t transmit, I’m guessing some incompatibility with multiple buttons.  Now to find a Pot of the right size and electrical spec.

A4B498A3-EF6B-47A8-8640-08806CCA60EF.jpeg

Edited by Pasta Burner

4 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

So I still have no idea why it was displaying a “7” but that seems to be gone.  Up until today I have been overly impressed with the engineering and quality of this machine.  Maybe the CB units were outsourced but I came across the most inappropriate design for attaching fly wires to a circuit card.  Most of the wires have broken strands.  They thought it a good idea to solder 26 AWG stranded copper to a surface pad.  Not even plated strands.  Anyway I put the OEM design back in place and bench tested the squelch Pot which failed.  Radio Shack didn’t have a 50k of the right dimension in stock but for a couple bucks I bought one electrically correct to perform another bench test.  Everything seems to work correct now.  I tested with my truck cb and it receives well and will transmit static to my truck when PTT is exercised.  I tried using a 5pin cobra mic that I had laying around but it didn’t transmit, I’m guessing some incompatibility with multiple buttons.  Now to find a Pot of the right size and electrical spec.

5 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Always wondered how that was all put together and what made it tick. Now I still don't know, but glad you have it under control.

Here’s a little more clarification of my testing.  Technically not “bench” test as I needed the bike connections.  But I used comparable components.  Now I’m getting the random “7” again which I fear will drain my battery so in the Interim I’ll leave it disconnected.  Some pics of the test Pot and Erratic 7.

Note: the unit is upside down.

A5C67F64-3EE0-4B5F-86A6-EAB690DE2B05.jpeg

Edited by Pasta Burner