IGNORED

Clutch basket markings

Am thinking of doing the Barnett clutch upgrade on my 2006 RSV.  When I have the cover off & pull out all the discs, are there visible markings on the clutch basket to tell me which version I have installed (without removing the basket)?  

I just want to verify which one I have in there.

I never had to remove the basket . The Likely Barnet Pressure plate kit is 511-90-10002. You can find it on Amazon $143.  I installed in several months ago with the original (bad) clutch.  It gave me an additional 3,000 miles.  Today, I replaced the clutch disks at 22,000 (2008 YRSV).  I used the cheapest disks:  Caltric Clutch Friction Plates Item #: CAL-FP145*7+FP154  Price: $24.00. https://caltric.com/c-1390573-powersports-motorcycle.html#!submodel%3DXVZ1300TF ROYAL STAR VENTURE||model%3D2008||make%3DYAMAHA||year%3DMotorcycle   Normally I would never do this, but it is incredibly easy to replace the clutch in the YRSV.  It took just 30 minutes!  The Catric can also be order on Amazon with a new gasket for $53. The benefit is I got it the next day. PROCEEDURE:  (1) Drain the oil. (2) take the case off using a 5mm hex "ball" wrench (long shaft). This tool is essential. With it the exhaust and horn can stay on. MARK THE ORDER of the hex screws. Some are longer. (3) remove the pressure plate with 10mm socket. (4) remove the disks (a pick helps). (5) Oil the new clutch disks in new oil over night. (6) put the odd disk in first (it looks different from the rest). (7) then add a plate, clutch disk, plate, clutch disk etc. until they are all in.  (8) mount the Bartlett pressure plate now. It only goes on ONE WAY: There must not be any space between the Pressure Plate and the last Clutch Plate. If there is, remove the Pressure Plate and rotate it to the next hole. Continue until it fits with no space.  (9) add the springs and bolts/washers. Tighten gradually in a "star" pattern. Torque at 8NM (71 inch-lbs).  (10) clean the cover and remove the old gasket. (11) Add the new gasket with Blue RTV sealer on both sides. (12) reinstall the cover screws. Torque to 7NM (62 inch-lbs).  (13) Add the oil and you are done.  You can spend a lot more for the Barnett clutch disks. Its the Barnett Pressure Plate that does the vast improvement. Even if the Cattric Clutch doesn't last long... 30 minutes to replace is no big deal.  I hope this helps.  Richard Luff

1. If you do this with the bike on the side stand you normally do not need to drain the oil. You may loose a small amount depending on the lean of the bike but it is usually a barely noticeable amount.
  2. With regards to the markings on the clutch basket they seem to only apply to using the OEM clutch pack which has a marking on one tab of each disc to align with the marking on the basket. You can ignore the markings when using The Barnett clutch pack.
Edited by saddlebum

On 5/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, jryan said:

Am thinking of doing the Barnett clutch upgrade on my 2006 RSV.  When I have the cover off & pull out all the discs, are there visible markings on the clutch basket to tell me which version I have installed (without removing the basket)?  

I just want to verify which one I have in there.

@jryan, are you asking about the clutch basket ID itself? As in whether or not you have an anti-whine "I" basket or not or is your concern pertaining to disc installation info?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, cowpuc said:

@jryan, are you asking about the clutch basket ID itself? As in whether or not you have an anti-whine "I" basket or not or is your concern pertaining to disc installation info?

I was asking about the clutch basket ID itself.  Original owner supposedly had the "I" basket installed...I just wanted to verify if the basket had an obvious marking on the visible surface.  But since I already did the clutch disc project & forgot all about looking at the basket markings, I guess it's a mute point now HA! 
I've got the whine between 2500-3300 RPM.  It bugs me, but others dont seem to notice it.