IGNORED

Trip from Vegas to Nashville through Utah/Colorado route choices?

Shaw

Hello my fellow Venture riders, I’m planning a moto-camping trip on Ray(picture included) and trail running some of the parks any routes worth detouring for, That would be passible at this time of year?

75F74BE2-E1B2-44A3-B010-29988CD50AD2.jpeg

• Like 1

I would check weather of course because I have my doubts this would be doable right now but I would suggest Zion NP across to the North Rim then around to Page AZ and up/over the great divide thru Pagosa Springs CO = GORGEOUS ride and amazingly endless camping second to none.. Vid below is a 5 mile journey back into the mountains of Utah on that ride,, unspeakably amazing.. Thing is though,, that area/trip is probably under 40 feet of snow right now LOL.. Second choice in an effort to stay warm and dry would be drop down to Needles from Vegas and zig zag across those AWESOME desert lands where @videoarizona hangs out and take it the sheer endless beauty and ride/camp opportunities out there!! If you do that though, check your tires and keep an eye on them cause that desert heat will peel rubber off and your tires will end up on your as rubber dust on your saddle bags.. Another thought? Big Bend is unforgettable!! Slide down there and give @Squidley and @bikerjohn a hard time while your out that way... Dont miss Jerome AZ if you do that and 89A up to Flag while your at it... I was always warned to watch out for Rattlesnakes on the 100's of thousands of miles and multiple tent camping trips I made that way but never ever did get to see one.. My advice,,, as crazy as this may sound is to watch out for Goat head pickers when looking for a spot to drop your tent and/or off roading.. Those suckers are far more dangerous than any rattler I ever met and wayyyy more plentiful LOL

• Like 4

Big Bend is a cool place to stop and see. The Marfa lights are cool as well. You can take the river road through Del Rio and watch Mexico go by on the other side of the river. If you get over by Houston let me know, always room for a VR brother.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cowpuc said:

I would check weather of course because I have my doubts this would be doable right now but I would suggest Zion NP across to the North Rim then around to Page AZ and up/over the great divide thru Pagosa Springs CO = GORGEOUS ride and amazingly endless camping second to none.. Vid below is a 5 mile journey back into the mountains of Utah on that ride,, unspeakably amazing.. Thing is though,, that area/trip is probably under 40 feet of snow right now LOL.. Second choice in an effort to stay warm and dry would be drop down to Needles from Vegas and zig zag across those AWESOME desert lands where @videoarizona hangs out and take it the sheer endless beauty and ride/camp opportunities out there!! If you do that though, check your tires and keep an eye on them cause that desert heat will peel rubber off and your tires will end up on your as rubber dust on your saddle bags.. Another thought? Big Bend is unforgettable!! Slide down there and give @Squidley and @bikerjohn a hard time while your out that way... Dont miss Jerome AZ if you do that and 89A up to Flag while your at it... I was always warned to watch out for Rattlesnakes on the 100's of thousands of miles and multiple tent camping trips I made that way but never ever did get to see one.. My advice,,, as crazy as this may sound is to watch out for Goat head pickers when looking for a spot to drop your tent and/or off roading.. Those suckers are far more dangerous than any rattler I ever met and wayyyy more plentiful LOL

Hello @cowpuc 👋🏽!

thank you for your reply, I apologize for taking so long to respond but I ended up watching your vids on YouTube (and subscribing)!Thank you so much 🙏🏽 You gave me so much info!    I’m so glad I posted!  My only concern is that your probably way better of a rider than I and I don’t have the mechanic chops to fix anything if it breaks( my plan is triple AAA premier and/or hiking out to a bus stop 😂 for worst case scenarios).  the second choice you offered sounds appealing, I’m going to try Utah later in the summer(hopefully next time your through that way, you won’t find Ray on the side of the road, lol)

Cheers!

-Shaw

Edited by Shaw
@

20 hours ago, Squidley said:

Big Bend is a cool place to stop and see. The Marfa lights are cool as well. You can take the river road through Del Rio and watch Mexico go by on the other side of the river. If you get over by Houston let me know, always room for a VR brother.

Hello @Squidley

Thank you for the suggestions!  And I appreciate the offer, I’m always down to hear sea stories from your era!  Navy was wild back then(so I’ve been told)

Cheers!

-Shaw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaw said:

Hello @Squidley

Thank you for the suggestions!  And I appreciate the offer, I’m always down to hear sea stories from your era!  Navy was wild back then(so I’ve been told)

Cheers!

-Shaw

There's plenty of VR brothers all over the country that woukd be more than willing to give a hand if something happened on your trip. You only live once, git after it and plan it!

Hell, I might have to take a couple days and catch up with you 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squidley said:

There's plenty of VR brothers all over the country that woukd be more than willing to give a hand if something happened on your trip. You only live once, git after it and plan it!

Hell, I might have to take a couple days and catch up with you 👍

That would be bad ass brother.  I’ll be leaving Vegas Sunday morning on the 2nd, I’ll make a tentative route when I look at a map tonight.

• Like 1

I was gonna say. For Pete's sake check the weather out a week or more ahead. Some of these rain storms thru Ok and Texas Ark have been really bad. Hail on a bike is not a fun deal. You will run for cover. LOL @ CowPuc and the Goats head burrs. Man I remember them things from living in Oklahoma. Dang them things will hurt. When we took the scouts out we use to try to pick over the area for tents before pitching.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:47 PM, djh3 said:

I was gonna say. For Pete's sake check the weather out a week or more ahead. Some of these rain storms thru Ok and Texas Ark have been really bad. Hail on a bike is not a fun deal. You will run for cover. LOL @ CowPuc and the Goats head burrs. Man I remember them things from living in Oklahoma. Dang them things will hurt. When we took the scouts out we use to try to pick over the area for tents before pitching.

@Squidley  hey guys, I got little sick after my second vaccine, and then I saw the southwest weather and ended up going through Utah Colorado Kansas, I’m safe in Nashville, I got itchy, here is my son meeting me and Ray for the first time, 

3DED79C9-D866-489F-BE29-49D941454F49.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shaw said:

@Squidley  hey guys, I got little sick after my second vaccine, and then I saw the southwest weather and ended up going through Utah Colorado Kansas, I’m safe in Nashville, I got itchy, here is my son meeting me and Ray for the first time, 

3DED79C9-D866-489F-BE29-49D941454F49.jpeg

No worries brother, the door is always open here in Shepherd Texas for you. That's awesome about meeting your son!

Edited by Squidley
  • Like 1

One thing's for sure; it's WAY too early for ZION!!! As in MONTHS!

And Zion simply cannot be missed - nor any of the other nearby areas!!!

Stunningly gorgeous scenery in that area!!~

Rgds, WRIDR

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WRIDR said:

One thing's for sure; it's WAY too early for ZION!!! As in MONTHS!

And Zion simply cannot be missed - nor any of the other nearby areas!!!

Stunningly gorgeous scenery in that area!!~

Rgds, WRIDR

I went through Zion, it was gorgeous, I had rain gear it rained a bit, but I camped out there for a night, I was slightly miserable by morning but shuttle tour and the ride through was worth it

• Like 1

I just went through Zion last week and spent two days there.  Weather was perfect.  Not sure if that was normal or an anomaly for mid-May, but I loved it.  For your return ride, consider hiway 50 from Colorado Springs to Montrose, shoot up to 70 and then find 128 on the map and take it into Moab.  You will not be disappointed. 

The ride into & through Zion was awesome!  We came into Zion via the eastern route via 89 to 9.

Ride Safe!

• Like 1