IGNORED

It’s all about the dealership

Let me start by saying that many of us who have the 3rd Gen Venture have experienced a myriad of issues. Some more than others and some more catastrophic than others too.

For my own part, I was the first in the Southeast to get mine Dec 29th 2017. I purchased it from Team Charlotte Motorsports here in Charlotte, NC. Great group of people with excellent service, competitive prices and knowledgeable technicians.

During my ownership I’ve had the following issues which have all been dealt with under warranty. Bubbling paint on gas tank (replaced). Failed left rear speaker (replaced). Nav system lockup (software wiped and reloaded by dealer per Yamaha). Cracking on BOTH saddlebag lids originating from hinge bolt area (both complete saddlebags including light assy replaced). Failed lifter & cam (replaced) and the latest BIG issue was a failing of the final drive bearings or gearing.  Yes, I have a trailer hitch and it was installed by the dealer who assured me it wasn’t going to affect my warranty.  Anyways, I thought when it happened “oh great now I’m without a bike again for weeks on end.”

The dealership however happens to have a brand new SVTC motor on hand. It was sent in error for an Eluder but did not fit due to the SUREPARK configuration. The dealership said “How about a new motor?” I said are you kidding?!!  They decided it would be more cost effective to replace the whole motor than to remove one, tear it down, order parts, rebuild and replace-install it and yet still have to spend money to ship a new motor back which was the wrong one for that Eluder.  At any rate, the dealership went to bat on my behalf and their logic seemed reasonable to Yamaha so they said “DO IT”.  I’ve got a new motor after 50k miles in my SVTC and only have 4K miles on it. Runs like a top and it only took them 6 days to do the work. What’s even nicer is that the dealership loaned me an FJ1200 to ride while I waited.  That thing is a ROCKET! Not my cup of tea though.

I say all this to bring up a friend I have in Florida “Rob” with the same bike and setup (identical) as me who had the same issue arise yet he has been without a bike for 7 months! Not only that but the dealership has been caught in lies and deception as far as status and decisions they said were made by Yamaha but when he called Yamaha they said they hadn’t even heard from the dealership!  To date, Yamaha has denied his warranty claim (I think in large part to info from the dealership) for replacing the final drive gearing.  Now he’s got a non rideable bike he has to make payments on and has attorneys involved. It’s a sad situation to say the least.

I say all this for one purpose. Yamaha bases their decisions on information obtained from the dealership. If your dealership is not an advocate FOR YOU, life is gonna suck big time when it comes time for any big warranty work.  That’s not Yamaha, it’s the dealership!  Take heed WHERE you make your purchase or where you take it for service.  Do your research and don’t choose them because they’re close or convenient.  Case in point.... I have a huge dealership 20 minutes from my house BUT their reviews stink and the one time I did use them for a tire change they scratched my rims.  This is why I drive an hour one way to get the service I expect.

Rob, if you’re reading this I’m so sorry for all your troubles. I feel your pain buddy and I understand why you have been forever soured on anything Yamaha, however if you buy a Goldwing from these same people the service DOESNT change!

caveat emptor!

Wow, glad for you that the dealership is taking care of you. This is another example of why I shy away from new designs of anything, there is an inherent learning curve and issues to be worked out. Not to mention my technophobias 😬😬😬. I seem to end up like your buddy’s story. Hope this gets you miles of smiles. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Wow, glad for you that the dealership is taking care of you. This is another example of why I shy away from new designs of anything, there is an inherent learning curve and issues to be worked out. Not to mention my technophobias 😬😬😬. I seem to end up like your buddy’s story. Hope this gets you miles of smiles. 

Despite the issues I’ve had I still love this bike.  Yes, having issues with a new design does happen. You’d hope that the R&D department did their homework and worked out any issues before production begins. Problem is that real world use is a lot different than a testing environment.  Personally, I think that given the number of issues with cam/lifter that have occurred, Yamaha would issue a recall and deal with it proactively but this sadly doesn’t seem to be the case. It seems they’d rather just deal with it as it arises.  I don’t think that’s a wise move by Yamaha to let a customer take off on a dream lengthy trip on a possible ticking time bomb.

IMHO, something has changed at Yamaha and not for the better. I’ve had Yamaha’s for years and chose them again for reliability and customer service.  I’m glad they’ve been faithful to take care of my issues, but it’s the lack of preemptive action on a known weakness by their part which doesn’t sit well with me.   Once a reputation is tarnished its super difficult to repair!

Edited by ChiefGunner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

Despite the issues I’ve had I still love this bike.  Yes, having issues with a new design does happen. You’d hope that the R&D department did their homework and worked out any issues before production begins. Problem is that real world use is a lot different than a testing environment.  Personally, I think that given the number of issues with cam/lifter that have occurred, Yamaha would issue a recall and deal with it proactively but this sadly doesn’t seem to be the case. It seems they’d rather just deal with it as it arises.  I don’t think that’s a wise move by Yamaha to let a customer take off on a dream lengthy trip on a possible ticking time bomb.

IMHO, something has changed at Yamaha and not for the better. I’ve had Yamaha’s for years and chose them again for reliability and customer service.  I’m glad they’ve been faithful to take care of my issues, but it’s the lack of preemptive action on a known weakness by their part which doesn’t sit well with me.   Once a reputation is tarnished its super difficult to repair!

Hiya Chief,, hows life? Sounds like, in your case, pretty dog gone good. There are numerous Venture owners here who have been with Yamaha for many many many years of which I am one.. I am probably not the only one who is aware of this but,, maybe I am.. Yours (and "Robs") experience with Mom Yam is not something new actually.. Back when the Venture was introduced it came with a guarenteed failing 2nd gear. The issue therein was that second gear failure (due to a soft shim on the secondary shaft) had a known habit of not failing until +25k miles so most of the failures did not even start showing up until the bikes were out of warranty. Although proven many many times over that the cause was, in absolute factual factory defect Mom Yam never ever did issue a recall. What she chose to do was run the thousands of defective parts out of inventory and then (about mid year of 85) started placing updated, hardened correctly shim and buckets in.. As a matter of fact, our group is sharp enough that there are those that can tell you EXACTLY the bike number (by VIN) when this started. As in all things though, one mans trash is another mans fortune and that is exactly where my million mile plus journey on the Ventures comes in. I took advantage of that crisis and ended up riding out 6 (still in the process of wearing out number 6) of the MK1's by simply buying them dirt cheap (my recent one was/is my most expensive one I purchased at $1000 and it has had the tranny fixed - only one so far I have had with a 2nd gear in it lol) and chasing out the remaining 250k miles with them just by skipping 2nd gear.  For many many people who paid the big $$$ up front on the MK1's I always felt sorry for and,, on another note,, please be advised that what I just explained definitely had a major influence on the value of the whole Venture line from that day forward. I still think if Mom Yam would have done what was right wayyy back in the mid 80's her Venture would have been the "go to" bike instead of the much slower, much less torque, much less mpg, no where near as comfortable MK1 now iconic Honda Goldwing. 

Edited by cowpuc
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cowpuc said:

Hiya Chief,, hows life? Sounds like, in your case, pretty dog gone good. There are numerous Venture owners here who have been with Yamaha for many many many years of which I am one.. I am probably not the only one who is aware of this but,, maybe I am.. Yours (and "Robs") experience with Mom Yam is not something new actually.. Back when the Venture was introduced it came with a guarenteed failing 2nd gear. The issue therein was that second gear failure (due to a soft shim on the secondary shaft) had a known habit of not failing until +25k miles so most of the failures did not even start showing up until the bikes were out of warranty. Although proven many many times over that the cause was, in absolute factual factory defect Mom Yam never ever did issue a recall. What she chose to do was run the thousands of defective parts out of inventory and then (about mid year of 85) started placing updated, hardened correctly shim and buckets in.. As a matter of fact, our group is sharp enough that there are those that can tell you EXACTLY the bike number (by VIN) when this started. As in all things though, one mans trash is another mans fortune and that is exactly where my million mile plus journey on the Ventures comes in. I took advantage of that crisis and ended up riding out 6 (still in the process of wearing out number 6) of the MK1's by simply buying them dirt cheap (my recent one was/is my most expensive one I purchased at $1000 and it has had the tranny fixed - only one so far I have had with a 2nd gear in it lol) and chasing out the remaining 250k miles with them just by skipping 2nd gear.  For many many people who paid the big $$$ up front on the MK1's I always felt sorry for and,, on another note,, please be advised that what I just explained definitely had a major influence on the value of the whole Venture line from that day forward. I still think if Mom Yam would have done what was right wayyy back in the mid 80's her Venture would have been the "go to" bike instead of the much slower, much less torque, much less mpg, no where near as comfortable MK1 now iconic Honda Goldwing. 

Couldn’t agree more @cowpuc. I don’t understand Yamaha’s position on this. Their greatest completion is the Goldwing when it comes to touring bikes.  And yet the BIG difference is that the new wings which also had problems after release have all been addressed immediately. Not only that but when they down sized the 2018 Wing to be less true touring and more sport touring like an ST1800, there was an outcry about the too small storage.  What did Honda do? They immediately produced a newer model which gave back the storage and then some. In other words,  Honda actually listened to the people who invest big $$$ in their machines unlike Yamaha who seems to IGNORE them.

Facts are hard to beat!

• Like 2

Chief,

This is a bit off topic, but....Failed lifter & cam (replaced) and the latest BIG issue was a failing of the final drive bearings or gearing.

If your engine damaged a lifter and camshaft, you had metal particles in your engine oil circulating through your engine and transmission.     The oil filter would have caught most of them, but some would have gone throught the filter bypass on a cold start.      This may have been the cause of the final drive unit/gearing going bad and getting a new engine was great.

• Thanks 1

Not sure about that. Between the “dimple plugs” and my “Filter Mags” ZERO metals will circulate through that engine.

The lifter/cam issue happened at 7800 miles which interestingly enough... anyone who has had that issue occurs by about 8k miles. The final drive issue happened at almost 50k miles which is right about where the guy in Florida I mentioned (Rob) had his issue, yet he never had a cam/lifter failure.

But I do agree that getting a new engine was awesome. I hope everyone understands that my particular resolution is not one that can be expected by everyone. I and the new motor just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Edited by ChiefGunner

2 hours ago, RDawson said:

I’m jealous that you’ve ridden 50k already, hard for me to find the time. 

Well, as a business owner covering a 5 state area I have unique opportunities.

Sometimes I’ll get a service call and I’ll reconnoiter the issue and find out it’s relatively simple with few tools needed. I’ll load up the bike and then take off from Charlotte to Nashville or maybe Atlanta or up in Virginia.  Here’s the best part... I get paid for the travel time riding and my company pays for the gas!

Sometimes I just LOVE my job!

• Like 1

Black Bart here: I just joined the group.  Last Friday I had a Valkyrie in my sights 1997 17000 miles $2500 dollars. Mint condition. Guy sold it out from under me as I drove 1000 miles to pick it up.  Out of character I told him how I felt.  Then on my way home I stopped in Outdoor Sports in Prescott Valley Az. Sitting there was a 1996 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with every possible addition you can Imagine. The way she sat there  leaning to one side almost expecting me. I could tell she was playing hard to get. Flawless, paint, chrome, glass, seats. For an old gal she was a looker with only 18700 miles on her. I bought her on the spot. $4900. The dealership gave me a new helmet and told me that a new set of tires was due to be installed only its second set. Great, new tires free, free is good. I sent my wife on without me. I wanted to be alone...well almost. And I waited for the new tires to be installed. I stayed away while she was in the doctors office. For an hour I tried to convince myself that I had made the right decision. But I just didn't feel that this small engine by cruiser standards was going to cut it. I really had my heart set on the 1500cc 100hp Valkyrie at $2500. There I stood looking at this bike I knew nothing about deciding whether or not to get on as she sat there idling so quietly I could barely hear the exhaust. Hmmm I've always liked the quiet ones. As I sat on this beautiful bike I realized how massive it really is. We had a 175 miles to get to know one another. I stopped four times, I dont know why I guess to see if there was a different perspective or to validate my choice to dump Valkyrie for Star like a one night stand.  Sooo My name is Gene and I guess you all might help me validate my choice.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 10:05 AM, ChiefGunner said:

Sometimes I’ll get a service call and I’ll reconnoiter the issue and find out it’s relatively simple with few tools needed. I’ll load up the bike and then take off from Charlotte to Nashville or maybe Atlanta or up in Virginia.  Here’s the best part... I get paid for the travel time riding and my company pays for the gas!

"If you love what you do for a living, you'll never have to work again."

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Black Bart said:

Black Bart here: I just joined the group.  Last Friday I had a Valkyrie in my sights 1997 17000 miles $2500 dollars. Mint condition. Guy sold it out from under me as I drove 1000 miles to pick it up.  Out of character I told him how I felt.  Then on my way home I stopped in Outdoor Sports in Prescott Valley Az. Sitting there was a 1996 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with every possible addition you can Imagine. The way she sat there  leaning to one side almost expecting me. I could tell she was playing hard to get. Flawless, paint, chrome, glass, seats. For an old gal she was a looker with only 18700 miles on her. I bought her on the spot. $4900. The dealership gave me a new helmet and told me that a new set of tires was due to be installed only its second set. Great, new tires free, free is good. I sent my wife on without me. I wanted to be alone...well almost. And I waited for the new tires to be installed. I stayed away while she was in the doctors office. For an hour I tried to convince myself that I had made the right decision. But I just didn't feel that this small engine by cruiser standards was going to cut it. I really had my heart set on the 1500cc 100hp Valkyrie at $2500. There I stood looking at this bike I knew nothing about deciding whether or not to get on as she sat there idling so quietly I could barely hear the exhaust. Hmmm I've always liked the quiet ones. As I sat on this beautiful bike I realized how massive it really is. We had a 175 miles to get to know one another. I stopped four times, I dont know why I guess to see if there was a different perspective or to validate my choice to dump Valkyrie for Star like a one night stand.  Sooo My name is Gene and I guess you all might help me validate my choice.

@Black Bart Where’s the pics?? We’d love to see some pics of your new lady!

On 4/25/2021 at 12:05 PM, ChiefGunner said:

I get it Chief. I ran my own business for several years until I decided the boss was an A$$HOLE for making me work so many hours. It took me getting hurt and off work for 6 months to realize I didn’t have to work so much to live. I’m semi-retired and hoping to make it completely retired within the year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RDawson said:

I get it Chief. I ran my own business for several years until I decided the boss was an A$$HOLE for making me work so many hours. It took me getting hurt and off work for 6 months to realize I didn’t have to work so much to live. I’m semi-retired and hoping to make it completely retired within the year. 

I hear ya! Sometimes I have to look in the mirror and chew my own butt out.

(looking in the mirror pointing sternly at myself) “You do that again and you’re FIRED you got me?!!”  😁

• Like 1