IGNORED

Any Short Wave People Out There?

luvmy40

Hey all!

We are closing on a new(Old) house next week. The previous owner is a Ham Operator and he left a couple antenna masts and antennas behind. Unfortunately, he is suffering from dimensia and is no longer an active radio man. Is there any call for this kind of thing? Are there any net forums where I might find someone who could use them? I really don't want to scrap them but I have no use whatsoever for them.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RDawson said:

I have a friend into hams. I can forward pics to him to get an idea. 

I'll post up some pictures as soon as I can. Probaly a couple weeks.

6 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

Congrats on the new house.  Hopefully it has a garage for your toys and hobbies 👍

Well, there is a gargae, but it's small and in bad shape. I plan on tearing it down and building a bigger shop in a few years. We bought the place for the 1890's home and the landscaping. The back yard is a beautiful flower garden with many expensive trees and has a park like layout.

7 hours ago, saddlebum said:

You could always hook a CB to it and use it for a CB base station and stay in touch with venture riders via CB that are on the move.

The only CBs I own are part of my Ventures!

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 4

I've been a Ham Radio Operator since my days in Jr High School.  Although I'm not super active right now if you post some pics or PM me I might be able to let you know what you've got and if there is any value there.  Antenna rotors are always in demand and worth an effort to find a buyer.  

• Like 1

I am sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how this turns out. I too have a 40 footer laying in my back yard in really nice shape. I also have the rotor and controls for it somewhere here... Rich has the south covered for their antenna tower needs and I have the north covered I reckon lol

@luvmy40 Try to sign up in qrz.com.  
The site has a ‘Swapmeet’ section where members can post anything relating to Amateur Radio.  You can also post pics of the antenna for potential buyers to look at.   Read the rules properly and abide to it, so you will not have any problems posting your items in a timely manner.   Site admins keeps a close eye on parts swappers and such.   I am pretty active in Ham radio and I’ll be looking for your post as soon as you get the chance.   

The antenna on the left side in the pictures is a television antenna with a rotor.  Because it looks like a higher gain antenna and has  rotor, I suspect you live between 2 cities a few miles away.      Did you get the rotor control box?    

The antennas on the right mast are PROBABLY for 144MHZ (aka 2 meters) and the other probably for 440 MHZ (aka 70cm).    I can't tell too much from the pictures, but If you pull them down you could find the model number and I could tell a lot more.      They look like there are mutliple antennas in each giving them higher gain.     The mast looks like a 'push up' mast so if you can see how to release the sections you could release the guy wires (on a calm day) and then lower the antennas down one section at a time.

I can't tell for sure from these pictures, but the wire that has an insulator on it and is attached to the TV antenna mast 'might' be a dipole antenna.    Just a length of wire with a coax cable attached to the middle.     

None of these are worth a lot of money, but the 144MHZ and the 440MHZ antennas probably cost $100-$200 new.     You may be able to sell the push up mast too.

Frankd nailed it.  I too suspect the wire with the insulator is a High Frequency (HF) Dipole or Inverted Vee which is a variation of a dipole.  No value in the Dipole, they're super cheap and easy to assemble.  You could maybe look for a local Ham Radio club and someone may be willing to take the masts off your hands.  For a local club try looking here:

http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club  

I am a ham in KY. K5CPT. I wouldn't mind seeing some photos To share or you can post it on FB market place. 

Found them..hehe. you are way up there close to the lakes.. I can't tell what they are by photos, but I'd guess if you advertise them locally and on FB market, you'll find a hammer that will come take them down.

Edited by ese