IGNORED

Best Fuel Pump replacement Options???

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2006 RSTD and am having fuel pump issues. Ordered a replacement from partzilla and it is constantly being back ordered. What are some good replacements. A RSV owner told me that the amazon pumps are the same as factory. I find that hard to believe. Thought it best to lean on the forum. Thank you in advance.

9 hours ago, Kinglicious said:

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2006 RSTD and am having fuel pump issues. Ordered a replacement from partzilla and it is constantly being back ordered. What are some good replacements. A RSV owner told me that the amazon pumps are the same as factory. I find that hard to believe. Thought it best to lean on the forum. Thank you in advance.

The points are the most common issue for the pump. They are easily replaced and if my memory is correct they are around $30. Don’t use the cheap internet pumps, they don’t hold up. 

14 hours ago, Squidley said:

I have used the 42S and it works fine but you do need to do a little plumbing with common hardware store fittings.  The most important thing to remember is you really need to turn off the fuel at the petcock when shutting off the bike since it doesnt have a shut off as part of the pump.   It wasn’t a problem for me as I always shut it off whenever I park, even with the factory pump on my more recent bikes.

I did a write up here for the Mr Gasket pump swap. There is a check valve pump that is a Faucet I think is the name. But it aint cheap as it is FAA approved and available thru small aircraft parts suppliers. OK so I located one of these that is a little cheaper at Pegasus racing equip. You can take the part number and search for one for less. But this is the way to go. The conversion also allows you room to install a fuel filter where you can get to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a used OEM pump I keep on the bike as a spare.  I got it from ebay for $30, I think it was from one of the cycle salvage places, came off a low-mileage bike and was super clean.  Hit it with 12v & confirmed it works.  It doesn't take up much space in the side bags & if my pump ever goes out on a long road trip, I can swap it in and then when I return, replace the points on the old one (sounds like that's the typical failure point) and then it becomes my ride-along spare.

IMG_1760.JPG

• Like 1