IGNORED

I need new tires, looking for advice.

I've been shopping for tires and the otions seem to be limited for the RSV. Maybe due to Covid, I don't know. I have a set of Dunlop Elite 3s now and really like them but they seem to be replaced by Elite 4s now. Checking on availability, they are scarce. Out of stock everywhere. So I found the Metzeler ME888 and I can get them here in Canada too. The old Metzeler ME880 got a bad rap among Venture Riders a number of years ago so I've stayed away from them over the years. Wondering if anyone has experience with the new ME888. Reviews on line seem to be pretty good.

Or if anyone has something else they can recommend, I would like to hear about it.

Gary,

I've been running the Shinko 777s on my 02. I've been happy with their performance so far. They are less expensive but don't last quite as long as some of the others. I've got about 10k on my front and it shows hardly any wear. I'm darksiding right now, but fixin to throw a matching 777 on the rear very soon.

• Like 2

I have had good performance with Shinkos on both the RSV and my Victory. You cant get 15k out of them but they aren't $180 each either. If you put loads of miles in a year you might want to look to like a Michelin. I got better than 15k out of both the ones I ran. The Shinkos would go about 5-7k on the rear and 12 on the front I think it was. I dont put near the miles on now I did say 8yr back. So a Michelin for me would probably be 4 or more years old before I could wear it out. On the Victory I have used also a Continental, not sure if they make a size for the RSV.

• Like 2

I went Dark on my '06 using a Nexan CT.  I was very pleased with the performance and the wear.  I had a break down on a trip and the only place around would not work on it because it had a CT on it.  I  had 18K on it and still had 3/4 tread remaining. If I would have know how easy the repair was at that time I would have put many more miles on it.  

I've had very good luck with both the Shinko 777HD and the 230 Tourmaster.  I actually liked the ride of the 230 Tourmaster better.

58 minutes ago, bpate4home said:

I went Dark on my '06 using a Nexan CT.  I was very pleased with the performance and the wear.  I had a break down on a trip and the only place around would not work on it because it had a CT on it.  I  had 18K on it and still had 3/4 tread remaining. If I would have know how easy the repair was at that time I would have put many more miles on it.  

I've tried the Nexan but the setup on my bike was not happy with that tire no mater what tire pressure I tried.  I do have a 130-18" Stratoliner front wheel, HD Hagon rear shock, Sonic fork springs so I'm NOT stock in any way.  I'm currently running the BFG and I think the slightly smaller diameter squats the back end of the bike a little, hence more trail in the steering, and the bike is a little more accepting of the tire.

• Like 1

@Gary N. did you try ZEDNO in Kitchener for the E4's ? that is were I usually get mine. Their price is usually pretty good and if you just bring them the wheels they will install and balance while you wait. Before covid  I would usually rummage through their warehouse while I wait looking for good used add-ons for my bike.

Then again if not for covid and since ZEDNO is in Kitchener which makes it somewhat central to a lot of the Ontario group we could have had a small meet and greet while you wait.

BTW if you were happy with the E3's you will like the E4's as well. I ran both and was just as happy with one as I was with the other and got very good millage out of both.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, saddlebum said:

@Gary N. did you try ZEDNO in Kitchener for the E4's ? that is were I usually get mine.

Thanks Ben, I have sent them an e-mail to inquire. Their web site is not very helpful. I've been dealing with Fort Nine out of Quebec but they are out of stock on E3s and the E4 Fornts. They don't even list my rear  tire size even though it is listed on the Dunlop web site. Tempted to give the Metzlers a try as they are not that much more then the Shinkos that others have recommended. 

With the new lock down  rules, it doesn't look like we'll be riding much anyway.

20 minutes ago, Gary N. said:

Thanks Ben, I have sent them an e-mail to inquire. Their web site is not very helpful. I've been dealing with Fort Nine out of Quebec but they are out of stock on E3s and the E4 Fornts. They don't even list my rear  tire size even though it is listed on the Dunlop web site. Tempted to give the Metzlers a try as they are not that much more then the Shinkos that others have recommended. 

With the new lock down  rules, it doesn't look like we'll be riding much anyway.

I know what you mean. I always just find it easier to phone them.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:16 PM, Gary N. said:

I've been shopping for tires and the otions seem to be limited for the RSV. Maybe due to Covid, I don't know. I have a set of Dunlop Elite 3s now and really like them but they seem to be replaced by Elite 4s now. Checking on availability, they are scarce. Out of stock everywhere. So I found the Metzeler ME888 and I can get them here in Canada too. The old Metzeler ME880 got a bad rap among Venture Riders a number of years ago so I've stayed away from them over the years. Wondering if anyone has experience with the new ME888. Reviews on line seem to be pretty good.

Or if anyone has something else they can recommend, I would like to hear about it.

Hi @Gary N.,, how you folks been?  Gary I tried the higher dollar, extended range tires numerous times over the years (including the new Dunny E-4 that is on Tweeks right now) and was always impressed with getting over 6500 miles on the rear tire while running desert temps, fully packed and running two up. The ONLY real issue I ALWAYS ran across was having the knowledge that there was NO WAY on God's green earth I was going to be able to spoon the off during a road trip if needed. Here in the States, it is customary (it seems) for dealerships to charge x2 or X3 the going rate once your bike is towed in with a flat to get you back on the road. For that cause, and also because I REALLY have never cared for someone else swapping on tires for me when I like to see what things look like internally, I have always stuck with less expensive tires that I can pop on and off myself at roadside (or bike shop parking lot if needing a new tire so I can cash and carry). I have had several flats, front and rear,  while touring over the years and in my case the softer rubbered, less stiff sidewalled tires have always been my go to. I was also one of our group who gave Metz a fair try and was VERY dissatisfied with the results = delaminization on more than one occasion, personally it would have to be a very special occasion (like it was the only tire available and I was in a bad situation) that would cause me to go Metz to this very day.. You know me,, I always LOVED to experiment with my bikes and had I of been able to find a Car Tire that would have not had clearence issues on one of my MK1's I would have loved to have tried one. I know Bill (screen name Jake something) had really good luck running one on his wing (see vid) that was a "run flat" design or something like that.. I was amazed to think 20 thousand miles and still good tread and to have NO worries about a flat during that whole time period = oh heck yeah,,, my mouth drueled over such a huge advantage.. IF I were in your shoes and IF you can find something similar for your bike that is the direction I would go in.. I KNOW Bill personally and KNOW he was shooting 100% square with me on all the advantages of the Car Tire on his scoot.. If that is not possible and me being me,, I would never venture back into an E4, Metz, Michillin or any other of the long distance tires but would stick with having to spoon on and off 3 or 4 less expensive, doable with my own tools tires.. Of those, my very favorite of all are the Shinko 230 Tour Masters that @videoarizona got me hooked on.. Out of allll the cheaper tires I have ran the Shinks always balance out well, have excellent grip in all types of weather known to man (including off roading), get the best mileage for the low end tires and are always an easy spoon off and on..  There my friend,, thats all I got.. Regardless of what you choose,, have fun out there brother and ride safe!! 

Your ol buddy Puc..

(Gary start on 9 minutes in to go directly to Bill explaining the tire)

Edited by cowpuc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

Yep... And they are still making good tires....

Come to think more on the subject.....I still have the Shinko 230s on the first gen. Such a nice handling ride.

I loved the Shinko 777HDs I put on the RSV. Great ride. Excellent handling in torrential Oklahoma rains and after 2 k miles, still looked brand new. Unfortunately, the rear found a nail on the way to @cowpucland and had to be replaced. His dealer had a Shinko 230 in the right size, so on it went. Still on there and running well!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just yesterday put the new Michelin Commander 3's on my '06. I got the cruiser rather than touring tires. It had Dunlops on it. I can't overstate how great the new Michelins are compared to the old tires. It's almost as if the highway seams, tar snakes and road cracks have disappeared. I was used to my bike feeling wobbly and squirley over the highway seams, and now it is rock steady. Feels like the whole bike got upgraded - I'm super happy about it.

• Thanks 1