IGNORED

99 Venture buy

Motoboy51

Hey all,

I have a local guy who has a 99 Venture 

8/10 condition. Motor is bad. He purchased one from a local shop with 5,000 miles. 
He wants 1,600 for all.  
I think that’s high considering I would have to do all the work and transport.

I have to look at it like I may part out.

What do you think it’s worth as is? 
I offered 1,200 

Edited by Motoboy51
Spelling

Look at it like this: A used engine for a 2nd Gen Venture is about $800-900 on Ebay. The difference between that and the seller's asking price is the cost of the bike.

Does it look like an $800 bike to you, and/or is it worth the hassle to do the engine swap to make it a $4K bike? 

Yes I am asking him about the history of  the used motor, he said he purchased from. Local shop, so he should have some kind of info. 
I have an 08 RSTD so don’t really need another bike. So that’s the question do I want to do the work. 
it would cost 2.000 maybe more for shop 

so at 1,500 I would need to do the work. 

Realistically, you're likely to be in it for a little over $2k once you factor in misc supplies to get it fully functional (plugs, oil, filter(s), etc)

Guess it boils down to how comfortable you are doing the work, your tool/workshop situation, and the amount of free time necessary to complete the task. 

• Like 1

I agree,  With that. He paid 600.00 for motor it was pulled from a running bike that was wrecked. Motor has 5,000 miles on it. His friend is a mechanic and checked and adjusted valves on motors. It’s supposed to be ready to drop in. 
bike is complete and in very nice condition as far as paint Ect. 
I am very tempted to buy. As far as working on it. That’s not a problem I have rebuilt many carbs, transmissions and engine. But you know how that goes. it’s not a weekend project, carbs need to be cleaned, synced, fluids changed Ect. 
I agree probable 300-500. 
so 2000 is about right, really if I sell a 99 depending on shape 3,500-4,500 tops. Not a lot of profit for the work, but I do love a challenge. 
I am tempted. 

Edited by Motoboy51
Spelling
  • Like 1

Update: 

He doesn’t want to go below 1,500 my thought is it’s a 99 , shop rate probably 2,000 and parts, me week 1/2  $300 parts $1500 of my time 

That’s 1800 of my time  plus’s 1500 , that’s what the bike is worth. So it’s  a wash. 
For me 1,200 is like tops. 
I could take what I want for my bike and part out , break even. 
But I have a frame and other parts I would probably be struck with. 
it’s a ok deal at 1500 if I don’t care about my time. But these bike take some time to sell and I see 07 going for 4,000. It’s not really a money maker at 1,500 

Correct  me if my thinking Is off. 
1,200 I think is reasonable and gives me a little room. 

I think it's an okay deal if you're going to keep it and have the time and desire to do the motor swap, but if you're looking to fix and flip, it may not be worth the time/money.

Maybe write your offer and name/number on a piece of paper and let him think about it for a while. I don't really think people will be beating down his door to take this project off his hands. 

I bought my 07, a one owner, 23k miles, in nice shape for $3,000 3 yrs ago.  Granted that was a special case but.  The previous owner from Darlington, SC tried to sell it for $5k the summer before and then dropped his price to $4k.  The following spring he was determined to get rid of it and advertised it on craigslist for $3k.  As soon as I saw it I jumped on it even though at the time I wasn't sure I even wanted it.  It's a great bike. 

I do like the bike as it has the nice seats, and hard bag protection, extra lighting drivers backrest, all the normal bells and whistles. So all done it will be a nice bike.

I agree though they are not a mover. I would be more tempted to part out and keep the extras for my RSTD. 
I am going to stick to 1,200 as that’s what I think motor, trunk and front faring are worth. 

• Like 1

Update, well he still wants 1,500 what I did find out though is he had his mechanic adjust and set valves on motor. 
it’s supposed to have come from a shop parting out bike and had 5,000 miles.

I may just bite the bullet and buy. 
It will be a good project and at least I will no how to work on the bikes. 
that and it does have luggage guards. Tow hitch and the bike has 20.000 so not a lot. 

Edited by Motoboy51
Spelling

Well 

it’s down to decision time. 1,500 And a project, like I have posted bike is supposed. To be super clean with all sick parts, has the nice seats no button holes. Engine is supposed to have low miles and all valves adjusted. Bike has trailer hitch , radio, CB, leather pouches 

what do you think, should I pull the trigger. 

BE7D7A7D-0AE4-4169-9F1A-B07AE02D4CD5.jpeg

5737C849-F308-4B90-8951-76BC06991BD5.jpeg

68709641-1B80-4FA1-8375-2E8AC71BE26F.jpeg

719CB721-2F73-4847-8B10-DB66A2989213.jpeg

CF83A82A-89AA-4413-A7BD-AE9357CBE00B.jpeg

65F8ADEF-D1EA-4040-8A90-8465C855C6D1.jpeg

Edited by Motoboy51
Spelling

it’s down to decision time. 1,500 And a project, like I have posted bike is supposed. To be super clean with all sick parts, has the nice seats no button holes. Engine is supposed to have low miles and all valves adjusted. Bike base trailer hitch , radio, CB, 

No, he pulled it off I believe to start and didn’t finish.