IGNORED

Garmin Zumo XT and Bluetooth receiver

lyleh

I have a 2001 Yamaha XVZ13TF .

This winter I installed a Garmin Zumo XT on the bike. The Zumo when connected to my iPhone’s Bluetooth was useful for the mapping app on the Zumo, but not for any audio, YET. I then added a Bluetooth receiver to the bike which also connects to the Zumo. Now I can listen to my iPhones Music, SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, etc. thru the bikes headset or speakers. Adding the Bluetooth receiver also allowed me to receive and play, or read, text messages and voicemails on the Zumo. Without the Bluetooth receiver the Zumo will not accept these messages from the iPhone. I was not particularly interested in receiving messages as it is a distraction, but it is quite simple to click the notification and play them.

To install the Bluetooth receiver I removed the front of the fairing and then unplugged the aux jack cable near the cassette player from the receiver amplifier. I then plugged the Bluetooth adapter into the aux input of the receiver, no adapters needed, very simple. For power I spliced the Bluetooth power wires into the 12v aux power port in the fairing. The adapter I purchased is an “NVX Universal Bluetooth Adapter - Waterproof Audio Receiver - Auto, Marine”.

Spring has finally arrived and I took my first ride of the year with the new Garmin and Bluetooth and they worked wonderfully.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing.
Just curious why you didn’t jump to  a helmet mounted Bluetooth communications system from Sena or Cardo to connect your phone and Zumo and passenger ?

I have posted several of my Sena and Cardo reviews on this forum  and yes you lose the fun of saying “breaker breaker I am putting the hammer down” on your CB but you can still listen to them.

VentureFar…

Edited by VentureFar

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, VentureFar said:

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing.
Just curious why you didn’t jump to  a helmet mounted Bluetooth communications system from Sena or Cardo to connect your phone and Zumo and passenger ?

I have posted several of my Sena and Cardo reviews on this forum  and yes you lose the fun of saying “breaker breaker I am putting the hammer down” on your CB but you can still listen to them.

VentureFar…

Just scored a XT for $50 out of pocket between holiday sale and my company Atta’boy points.  I’ve been wanting one for a while now and even used one (may have been the 396) riding a friends bike over the summer when visiting out of state.  Excited to receive it and see how I can connect it.  I’m hoping to do similar and connect to a Bluetooth receiver to play through speakers.  VentureFar I personally don’t want music pumped direct into my ears, I find it distracting and would rather hear traffic and engine noise.  Intercom is ok,

On 4/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, lyleh said:

I have a 2001 Yamaha XVZ13TF .

This winter I installed a Garmin Zumo XT on the bike. The Zumo when connected to my iPhone’s Bluetooth was useful for the mapping app on the Zumo, but not for any audio, YET. I then added a Bluetooth receiver to the bike which also connects to the Zumo. Now I can listen to my iPhones Music, SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, etc. thru the bikes headset or speakers. Adding the Bluetooth receiver also allowed me to receive and play, or read, text messages and voicemails on the Zumo. Without the Bluetooth receiver the Zumo will not accept these messages from the iPhone. I was not particularly interested in receiving messages as it is a distraction, but it is quite simple to click the notification and play them.

To install the Bluetooth receiver I removed the front of the fairing and then unplugged the aux jack cable near the cassette player from the receiver amplifier. I then plugged the Bluetooth adapter into the aux input of the receiver, no adapters needed, very simple. For power I spliced the Bluetooth power wires into the 12v aux power port in the fairing. The adapter I purchased is an “NVX Universal Bluetooth Adapter - Waterproof Audio Receiver - Auto, Marine”.

Spring has finally arrived and I took my first ride of the year with the new Garmin and Bluetooth and they worked wonderfully.

Which particular one did you get ? I see there are several models. https://nvx.com/marine-audio/bluetooth-controllers.html

• 2 weeks later...

My XT came mostly DOA.  New in box but didn’t want to boot up, once I was able to coax it to life the screen flickered rapidly and died after a few setup screens.  I’ve read a number of reviews of them showing up broke out of the box.  Replacement on the way, had surgery yesterday and was hoping to play with it during recovery.

• Like 1