IGNORED

Missing piece to complete my '89 VR Restoration

Mach VIII

Well, after more than a year and a half, I'm (hopefully) wrapping up the restoration of my blue '89 Cali VR.  I've finished up the mechanical work (carbs, air-ride system, cruise, starter clutch, valve cover gasket, slave cylinder rebuild, etc.), (deferred) maintenance items (fluids, valve adjustment, tires, fuel filter, plugs, plug boots), upgrades (R6 calipers, de-linked brakes, phone mount & charger, new driving lights, etc.), and addressed the cosmetics.  The list turned out to be much longer than anticipated for each of those categories, but at long last I think the end is nearly here.

As I was washing, waxing, and detailing it (the last step in the restoration.....besides riding and enjoying of course), I noticed that the little passenger storage pouch that hangs off of one side of the rear trunk was dangling down.  The bag is held in place with two brackets with protruding twisting knobs.  I see now that the twisting knob on one of them is broken off, so it doesn't hold the bag in place at all.  I looked it up and I believe that part is on permanent back-order.  Yamaha calls it a "hook" and the part number is 54K-2844L-00-00, I think.  Each of the two "hooks" is held on by 2 small screws that screw into a small plate on the inside of the trunk. 

So has anyone got one of these twisty-knob "hooks" they could part with, or know where to get one?  I don't know if the Mk1 Ventures have these little pouches or not.  I can probably cobble something together with zipties if needed, but thought I'd ask here, as I'd prefer for it to be "right."  If there are other solutions that have been used, let me know.

If I have posted this in the wrong place, please forgive me and let me know where it would be better placed.

Thanks!

Here is a similar part :  Turn Button Eyelet and Stud, Common Sense Fasteners, 10 Piece Set, Marine Grade Nickel Plated Brass, Dot Brand - - Amazon.com  A local hardware store may have them or a marine store or boat repair place.  If you can't find any locally, PM me and I will send you a couple.  I have several of them for use on my camper.  But, I don't think my parts are of heavy duty as the ones on the bike.  

Jim

• Thanks 1

Try your local hardware store as well. Most will carry those and so will any marine or truck and trailer tarp repair shops, they are called twist lock tarp fasteners. If you only need two a tarp repair shop may just give them to you.

Terrific find.  Thank you Jim.  I will measure the screw hole spacing on the OEM ones and see if they will match up with these, as I think it will be necessary to reuse the stock plate that goes inside the top case.  One of the reviews in the Amazon listing says the spacing between the screw holes is 7/8" for those.  [Fingers crossed]

6 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Try your local hardware store as well. Most will carry those and so will any marine or truck and trailer tarp repair shops, they are called twist lock tarp fasteners. If you only need two a tarp repair shop may just give them to you.

Will do!  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Special thanks to Jayceesfolly for sending me  a couple of those turn button eyelets and studs.  Jim you're right that they're not quite as stout as the original ones.  Also, the "neck" just below the turn button piece is a bit longer than stock, which means the bag fits a bit looser on the studs.  That said, the screw holes on the mounting plate are an exact match, so they will fit right into place.  For those looking for a repair or replacement like I was, I think this is a viable solution.  I may add a couple of rubber or nylon washers onto the "neck" of the stud behind the bag just to take up the slack.

Again, thanks for the help Jim!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jayceesfolly said:

Not sure what the strength is on those turn buttons, so don't overload the bag.  Glad to know that they will work.

Jim 

Good advise I'm sure.  Right now there's just some rolled up bubble wrap in there the PO put into help keep the shape I suppose.  I don't really ride 2-up anymore, so it probably won't even get used.  

BTW, a couple rubber washers behind the bag did the trick to take up the extra slack I mentioned previously.