IGNORED

Are the MK2 1986 - 1993 stator/rectifiers interchangeable with the 83 MK1's?

cowpuc

I notice a part number difference between the two stators with the MK1 being 26H-81410-10-0  and the MK2 being 26H-81410-12-0..  Anyone know for sure if they are interchangable? Hate to order a MK2 stator/rectifier for Tweeksis and have the stator be to wide or something.. @skydoc_17,, any idea? Anyone else? 

THANK YOU WAYYYY IN ADVANCE YOU LOP EARED VARMINTS!

Puc

Pucster!

I just got off the phone with my local Yamaha dealer. They show the stator as being the same for all the Gen 1 engines from '83 to '93. The  Royal Star Ventures are different.

These guys have yet to steer me wrong.

Edited by luvmy40
typo
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, luvmy40 said:

Pucster!

I just got off the phone with my local Yamaha dealer. They show the stator as being the same for all the Gen 1 engines from '83 to '93. The  Royal Star Ventures are different.

THANKS RICH!! I will hold on for a tad to see if anyone else knows of difference I should be aware of before I hit the buy button. Just to make 100% sure we are all on the same page. I was ready to click "buy now" on a MK2 stator/rectifier set on Ebay but noticed that Caltric (the company selling the set) has a note in their ad that the MK2 set will not fit a MK1 and the MK1 set is made of unabtainium.. I REALLY appreciate your vote of confidence that they are interchangeable though!! Thanks again!

Puc

8 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Pucster!

Thanks again Rich,, got em ordered!! 

• Like 1

First off, Thanks Pucster for the props! The reason the part number has changed for the MKII is that the stator was upgraded for the MKII model, and the MKI had been discontinued in production as of the time of the upgrade. Physically, the MKII stator will replace the MKI stator. The rectifier housings are the same for both MKI and MKII Models. Now this only pertains to the stock Yamaha Stators and R/R's. Aftermarket is a different animal. There was a time when I was having High Output Stators wound locally, and they produced incredible amperage! the problem was that the stator cover was so close to the actual stator that the engine oil could not keep the stator cool enough to keep it from burning itself up in the warmer states! (Cali, Texas, Fla. for example) They ran just fine in Boston, or Canada but not down south. I'm still running one in my 87'VR to this day. (I live in Pennsylvania) So beware of aftermarket sellers of "High Output" stators. No doubt they will make the juice, but how long they last is another question. Second Gen. bikes don't seem to have as much of a problem with the "juiced up" stators. (More oil volume in the stator area)

Earl

• Like 3

There is also a kit that you can install that results in more oil spilling over the stater to help cool it. I may be able to dig up the part number later for you as I have one in my garage somewhere just need to remember which drawer it is in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, saddlebum said:

There is also a kit that you can install that results in more oil spilling over the stater to help cool it. I may be able to dig up the part number later for you as I have one in my garage somewhere just need to remember which drawer it is in.

It'll be a while, I've seen his garage. Trying to find a small wire thingie in his drawers will be a feat!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey Cowpuc, I apologize in advance if I take this thread a bit off topic but I wanted to touch on the extent I went to, to try and solve this issue with the overheating stators. I actually machined ONE "modified" stator cover from 6061 T6 Aluminum Billet. It increased the oil volume in the pan by 1.1 quarts and moved the face of the stator cover almost 2 inches away from the stator. It worked great and allowed me to put a stator that came close to 100 amps of output in my 87'VR! You would think that this would be a win/win for the First Gens. Heck, you could run a Toaster Oven on your bike if you wanted to! Well the problem was that cover machined from billet would cost $800.00 (MY cost for material and machine time) not to mention the 100 amp stator was another $250.00. (again, actual cost) Historically speaking, I have found that First Gen. owners are a bit "light in the pocketbook"  when it comes to spending money on parts for their bikes. After the excitement of solving the issue wore off, I found myself wondering how many First Gen. owners would actually spring for a $1200. stator upgrade. Of course the answer was "NOT Many"! So the tooling and fixture went into a box I have set aside for projects that I would NEVER be able to sell to the general population of First Gen. owners, and I stopped getting High Output stators wound by my local vendor. I went to a lot of trouble to offer a solution to the low amperage stator offered by Yamaha, only to find out that there is no way I could sell the darn things! I now fully understand why Yamaha puts such a wimpy stator in our bikes. I wanted to share this info with the community, and to let you know how much this broke my heart NOT to be able to offer this upgrade to solve this issue. Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Earl  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

It'll be a while, I've seen his garage. Trying to find a small wire thingie in his drawers will be a feat!!

Hey come on .... its not that bad..... for the past year now you have been able to see the floor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Cowpuc, I apologize in advance if I take this thread a bit off topic but I wanted to touch on the extent I went to, to try and solve this issue with the overheating stators. I actually machined ONE "modified" stator cover from 6061 T6 Aluminum Billet. It increased the oil volume in the pan by 1.1 quarts and moved the face of the stator cover almost 2 inches away from the stator. It worked great and allowed me to put a stator that came close to 100 amps of output in my 87'VR! You would think that this would be a win/win for the First Gens. Heck, you could run a Toaster Oven on your bike if you wanted to! Well the problem was that cover machined from billet would cost $800.00 (MY cost for material and machine time) not to mention the 100 amp stator was another $250.00. (again, actual cost) Historically speaking, I have found that First Gen. owners are a bit "light in the pocketbook"  when it comes to spending money on parts for their bikes. After the excitement of solving the issue wore off, I found myself wondering how many First Gen. owners would actually spring for a $1200. stator upgrade. Of course the answer was "NOT Many"! So the tooling and fixture went into a box I have set aside for projects that I would NEVER be able to sell to the general population of First Gen. owners, and I stopped getting High Output stators wound by my local vendor. I went to a lot of trouble to offer a solution to the low amperage stator offered by Yamaha, only to find out that there is no way I could sell the darn things! I now fully understand why Yamaha puts such a wimpy stator in our bikes. I wanted to share this info with the community, and to let you know how much this broke my heart NOT to be able to offer this upgrade to solve this issue. Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Earl  

I also believe part of the problem is often an affliction known as flat surface syndrome. You can usually spot the ones with this condition by the Christmas trees they ride and can be  spotted light years down the road. Fortunately for the severely afflicted, technology has developed a treatment to help minimize the side effects of this condition ( warning this is not a cure for those afflicted as they are usually afflicted for life ) . Its called LED and it works by lowering the demand on the stater. Less demand equals less heat build up equals improved chances for the stater to survive flat surface syndrome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If my memory serves me correctly the splash plate update came out first with no wire.  I updated my very first MK1 back in 87 and I dont think the swosh wire was included. By the time I had gone thru that new stator in that 1st one though the wire addition had come out.  I am almost positive the wire was added to keep the orfice that the oil squirts thru from the crank open and clean..  

• Like 2

I remember now...! That little wire was put in there to help "direct and drive" the oil to come up thru that spinning bolt head as the center of the crankshaft is open and a bit pressurized with oil flow.

IF that pesky memory serves me somewhat right...

• Like 2