IGNORED

Compact scissor lifts

Has anyone here used a compact scissor lift like the one linked below for their RSV or RSTD?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STARK-USA-1100-lbs-Wide-Deck-Scissor-Lift-Jack-Motorcycle-Center-Hoist-Stand-for-Bike-ATV-in-Blue-65127-H/310839045

With my popup camper, pressure washer, compressor, floor jack, multiple rolling tool boxes,, drill press, refrigerator, etc in a two car "yuppie garage" along with my RSV and the wife's car, i simply don't have the room to store something the HF bike jack and Carbon One-style adapter. 

I was thinking I could buy two scissor lifts, one wide one like the link above and a narrow one like the one linked below, and have the ability to remove both wheels at the same time. When not in use, they'll each fit underneath my tool boxes.

Narrow:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stark-1100-lbs-Capacity-Motorcycle-X-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Scissor-Jack-Center-Lift-Crank-Repair-Stand-in-Blue-65124/314199488?

Thoughts?

I have one of the narrow ones (bought off Amazon for $40-ish) and use it extensively.  When the bike is on the HF platform lift, front tire in a wheel chock, I can tie down the front and lift the rear to get additional clearance to remove the tire.  It also works this way for my BMWs and KLR.

Have not tried it all by itself.  It would be really scary having your 900 lb Venture precariously balanced on that small jack.  No way.  Although, you mentioned using both at the same time.  Maybe.

RR

Edited by RedRider

I agree that one would be scary, but my plan is to use them in pairs. Either a wide one with blocks to engage the frame rails and a narrow one with the little frame supports, or two of the narrow ones. Right now I'm thinking two narrow ones might be the better option. 

As a counterpoint to the above posts, but definitely not to dismiss them, I use that same jack in your 2nd link (albeit under a different name from Princess Auto (Canada)). It's a very useful and small tool for working on the bike, and in my opinion, for what I use it for, the jack with the 2 frame saddles is a more useful jack.  The saddles line up on an ideal spot on the frame rails. It seems to me that a flat platform style of jack would require an adapter to get around the various bits of mechanicals that extend below the frame.  With those saddles lined up, you can lift the bike just far enough off the floor to take the weight off the rear shock, making it very stable for any general maintenance or gremlin hunting... or hoist it up to clear the tires.  You can move the jack fore and aft under the bike, clearing either front or rear tire depending on jack placement. 

I have had the front high enough on the jack to pull out the front tire, stabilizing the bike with a couple of jack stands under the lower bar of the rear crash bars.  Sliding the jack a bit to the rear of the frame, lifting the bike to get the front tire planted on the floor, and with a little creativity in removing saddlebags, bag bars, and hitch frame parts, the rear wheel will come out as well. 

Would I have used a different setup if I had another jack? Absolutely.  But having one jack at my disposal when I installed a VMax pumpkin last year meant using what I had at hand to get that rear wheel out.

If your workshop space is a bit snug, it's an inexpensive addition to the garage and it works.  If room isn't an issue, get what you think you need.

If you are looking to free up floor space, Before I had a lift table or a jack I put a 6 foot piece of angle iron with 2 large eye bolts and mounted that to my roof truss, And used a come along or a small chain hoist. And have lifted many motor cycles, Only front or rear at a time. If you want to get the front and rear up in the air then I would use a jack and use it until I had it where I wanted it. I do have 2x10 trusses. You could beef up the truss if you have 2x4 built, Also has come in handy for lifting lots of other things also. 

• Like 1

Quick update, just in case anyone is actually following along...

So, I gave up on the dual scissor lift idea and bought a freestanding front wheel chock (accepts up to 7" wide tire) and a single narrow scissor lift.

Theoretically, I'll be able to pop the front tire into the chock, run some straps from the handlebars to the chock's horizontal brace (which i intend to lengthen), and lift the rear high enough with the scissor jack to remove the rear wheel.

Chock: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRRFLOK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_TJMARBH29YWE6HN7M98S

Scissor lift: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L4X6NQC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_BFZ7Y5ZJ1WV2Z4S25BDV

I have a paddock stand that I think will safely support the front end and allow me to change the front tire, especially if I slip the scissor lift under the rear of the engine cradle to keep everything stable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a frame rail adapter that I bought on eBay. It works wonderfully with the HF hydraulic floor jack I bought to keep from crushing my oil pan and trans. I recently bought a HF lift table because I'm tired of crawling around on the ground in my tiny, tiny garage. I have been looking at the small scissor lift with the saddles to use on top of the table. I was not sure if it would work without my adapter but you all have allayed my fears. Now I remember why I joined this group. You guys are the best. Thanks!

P.S.: If anybody wants to see that adapter I can take pics and dimensions and send 'em. I have also seen a video about it on youtube, (probably one of us made it.) 😁