IGNORED

Yamaha star venture

mike042

My opinion!!

We were able to test drive the new bike when it came out at the New York Rally  a couple years ago . I have a 2012 model that I bought new and love it . I didn't find it that bad except what @Freebird said about some people. I personally liked the new style   but  didn't like belt drive and V-twin. There seemed to be lots of power and handling  thru the twists  around Chaffee NY especially when you don't think you are going that fast but you are. It was better for not being as top heavy and easier to touch the ground. So basically personal preference . Here in Ontario Canada there are still new ones leftover in dealerships and also used.

Yeah, it could have been a BMW 1600 LT competitor with the water cooled VMax engine but they didn't sell that well either did they?  I never see a used 1600 for sale on craigslist in my area any more.  Update  No BMW 1600s on craigs but lots on cycletrader

Edited by BlueSky

1 hour ago, djh3 said:

I had just posted on another Venture site that I see some of the 2nd gens and RSTD occasionally when out on rides. But I can say I have seen no 3rd gen new styles.

What you got against 1st gens? You prejudice  or what? Or are we:bikersmilie: just too dang fast to see ?  :fnd_(16):

As far as the third gen goes I cannot say I was overly impressed. Maybe I expected more due to all the hype but after road testing the one at WNY rally I was more than happy to climb back on my 1st. Gen. It seemed to me the throttle on  my 1st gen was more responsive feeling a bit of delayed response on the 3rd gen. I also was not crazy about the engine vibration coming up through the seat. And finally waiting for the bike to go through its checks before firing up versus just turning the key and go was something I was not fussy on. ( Not that I plan on robbing any banks ) Otherwise I thought it was a very nice bike, ride and handling was great but I would not give up my 1st gen for it and I really do prefer the V4. Now if I was in need of another bike and was looking to get a new one it would for sure be at the top of my list of bikes to consider. Like @sleepy2 says it really does boil down to personal preference on this bike.

Edited by saddlebum

Yamaha made a very nice Harley clone with the Gen 3.  That seems to be the style most riders like so that is the market they went after instead of going after the Goldwing market.  My opinion doesn't matter a twit because I'm too old to buy bikes.  What I have is it...

• Like 1

After finding out (went to the world unveiling of the 3rd gen at Lake George and stopped at Sturgis the following fall to test ride them) that Mom Yam showed no regard for our clubs suggestions as to what 99% of our VR club members were hoping for I was,, beyond words, totally disappointed. I am still not sure what Mom Yam was thinking in their propaganda of pre release that stated they were going to turn the touring bike world upside down with this one. Obviously, by the lack of sales they missed the mark.. I will say this though, the SVTC that @RDawson mentioned,,, after noticing it was not going to be a sale on our site I posted that bike on facebook, just to let folks know it was available for 13 grand. I happen to know for sure that the guy who ended up with the bike actually ended up with a BRAND NEW full blown, fully accessorized SVTC with all the trimmings and fixings for just under 14 grand out the door = a fantastic price imho.. Having watched them sit on dealership floors now since their introduction and knowing there are still plenty of 2018 left over's out there I am convinced that the 12 to 14 thousand is about the value of a new one. I really dont think the issues that Mom Yam has had with them has helped the sales.. Top end failures, starter issues, info system failure to function to name a couple have not helped sales. 

@Freebird and I chatted for quite a bit while playing with his 3rd gen and I also agree with Don on something. Don mentioned he thought just by naming the bike a "Venture" was part of the sales issues,, I agree Don.. The Venture name has always spoke the V-4, shaft drive language that all us Venture folk speak. 

Anyway,, for anyone interested,, here are a couple of my corny youtube vids that may be of assistance to anyone considering one.. I also know that @VentureFar did a long distance test/review for Ultimate of the steed.. It may be advantages to see if Neil would post that review in here as he did a really nice job of being honest about the bike from his perspective..

Edited by cowpuc

Blue Beard and I made a trip up to bike week the year they came out. Got in a test ride. I cant remember alot about it, and that is kind of sad. Nothing that was memorable per say. It was cool the sport vs road mode, but some had that before. It seemed sluggish unless in sport. And this is from a V-twin rider.  It was a nice rider, but I wouldnt trade in my current ride. I also like alot of us thought the V-4 water cooled motor would have been a better bet. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pro procrastinator said:

I shouldnt have watched those videos now i want to go riding!

Last night dropped a nice skiff of snow and its below freezing so i guess its back to the honey-dew list instead. 😢

Or fishing

I could put some coffee on and then we can chew the fat.

• Like 1

Mama Yama failed miserably with this bike. What did they expect? It's not a Vtwin vs Vfour issue at all. The biggest problem I have heard from other riders is that it looks like tupperware on 2 wheels. And misplaced tupperware to boot.

I for one, wished that they tweeked the 2nd with some modern electrics, and put a fuel injected Vtwin power plant in it, water cooled or not, to get the weight down low in the frame. Add abs brakes and revamped suspension. Make the tourpack quick detach so it could be ridden at lighter feel when one up . also have the option to put a quick detach sissybar for around town 2 up riding. And make the saddlebags quick detach for easier tire valve stem access./rear tire& exhaust work.

It's kind of funny, I have had this wish list for the 2nd gen for years and now "my new to me" 2016 Indian Roadmaster has everyone of those features and more. It's most likely the last bike I will own until I hang up my helmet.

No wonder Indian's sales are growing rapidly, HD's are stagnant at best and Mama Yama's are failing.

• Like 1