IGNORED

Help with Desiccant? And Coolant system

Hello All,

My grandpa just gave me his 86 Venture Royale! He taught me how to ride at a young age, and I have been hooked ever since. Pretty much all of my bikes I got through him, and thus have a bunch of classic toys from the 70s and 80s. 

I'll get straight to the point here. The bike  sat for about 15 years. I have gone through it thoroughly, rewired a bunch, pulled the gas tank (etched, conditioned, and sealed), changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter and other components on the bike.

I am a little stumped by the desiccant canister/ air dryer? I went to the dealer today and nobody had a clue what I was referencing, even with the book in hand. I have yet to start working on th CLASS system yet. I am a little intimidated by it. Any thoughts or pointers are welcomed! 

Furthermore, when draining the coolant, how crucial is it to remove the rubber plugs underneath the side covers on the engine? The book says to do so with a spark plug. I am afraid of doing so, I dont know if I'll be able to replace them.

If you guys have any other pointers, recommendations, or guidance please chime in!

Grateful to All that can help.

The descant air dryer comes apart real easy, there is a snap ring at one end you just press the end plate in a bit so you can remove the snap ring, then carefully remove the end plate as there is a spring behind it. then there is a screen and a filter to remove. Behind that is the desiccant. You can buy the desiccant pretty cheap from places that sell automotive painting equipment, as well as harbor freight in the US or princess auto in Canada. It comes in various size packages and is used to replace the desiccant in spray painting air dryers. just replace the amount poured out of the dryer with the same amount. When you reassemble push the end plate back in far enough to reinstall the snap ring. how far back is not an issue as long as you can get the snap ring in. A little shot of air into the fitting hole will pop it into place. 

Another trick I heard some have tried is to simply remove the desiccant place it on a tray in a small oven and dry it out then reuse it, I my self have not tried it as we don't have a small oven and my wife closely guards the big one ever since I used it to warm a pair of boots so the waterproofing wax would melt well into the leather. :whistling:

Edited by saddlebum

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, Marcarl said:

You can also pop those beads in the microwave for 2 minutes, problem solved and no residue or smell.

That’s what I did, I think I did it in 30 second intervals in a paper plate, worked great and didn’t cost me anything.  I remember having trouble getting the damn thing apart, needed to be persistent pushing in the cap, it was corroded in place.

5 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

That’s what I did, I think I did it in 30 second intervals in a paper plate, worked great and didn’t cost me anything.  I remember having trouble getting the damn thing apart, needed to be persistent pushing in the cap, it was corroded in place.

If I send you mine can you dry mine for me. My wife won't let me near anything in the kitchen.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, saddlebum said:

If I send you mine can you dry mine for me. My wife won't let me near anything in the kitchen.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Just bring it over here, you keep Marca busy with your stories and I'll get the coffee.