IGNORED

Pairing cardo pactalk black with 2018 Yamaha venture transcontinental

JGR

Trying  to pair the cardo to Yamaha ....I get the Cardo pactalk black name on the Yamaha bluetooth set up ,

but when I click the icon to setup , I get the message  "Will not connect cardo device" no how many times I try.

If anybody knows what's up please advise   ..................

• 2 weeks later...

Same here with Pactalk Bold and 2018 Star Eluder infotainment. My Pactalk is latest firmware and I saw the Infotainment system has an update but I have not installed it, I was hoping to make sure it would work with Pactalk before I did the update.  This is disappointing.

I'm reasonably certain that you can't connect a headset directly with the Eluder or Venture infotainment system WIRELESSLY.  (Hard to believe, huh?)  I've been trying to do that with both Sena and Cardo headsets.  No go.  My reading confirms this too.  Here's what I understand you need to do:

You MUST use Yamaha's hard wired 7-pin DIN connector and connect that to your headset.  BE SURE that you DO NOT have your phone connected to your headset.  INSTEAD, you have to connect your PHONE to the infotainment system system.  Got that?  

Headset --> hardwired --> to Infotainment  (Headset NOT also connected to your phone.)

PHONE --> connected by Bluetooth --> to Infotainment

You can then have your phone GO THRU the infotainment to your headset.  I do NOT have the TC.  I was trying to connect in order to use VOX (voice commands) to be able to go thru the multiple level menus.  That did not work but I was using a variation by trying to go "wirelessly" from my headset to the infotainment.

You CAN go wirelessly to the infotainment system from your HEADSET.  But, that will cost you an extra $250.00 or so.  for THAT, you have to buy a Sena Freewire device which comes with a 7-pin DIN that's made for Harley Davidson bikes.  (Be sure NOT to get the one for Goldwing as that is a 5-pin connector.)

BUT, you also have to have a SENA headset. 

THEN, the Sena Headset (I've got the 10Upad but it works with a bunch of Sena headsets) will connect thru Bluetooth to the Sena Freewire which in turn is hardwired to the bike.  AGAIN, be sure your phone is not also connected to your headset or there will be a conflict between which device gets the phone call, etc.

This all worked for me ... EXCEPT ... I still could not use voice commands to connect with the infotainment system.  Otherwise, I could hear music played by my phone ---> thru the infotainment system ---> thru the Sena Freewire ---> to my Sena headset.  

BUT what a convoluted, crappy way to operate.  It is incomprehensible how Yamaha in, say, 2016-2017 when the Star Venture was in final design and testing that they made the engineering decision that, "Yes, we'll install a jury-rigged system to connect a rider to the infotainment system."  

Don't get me wrong, I just got my bike in November 2020 and have ridden about 700 miles and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this motor.  What a fine machine.  But the rider to infotainment system ... let me be nice and just say, 'not so much'.

So, I"m sending back the Freewire and going back to using my excellent Samsung phone, Spotify, Google Maps with Bluetooth connection to my headset.  I'll do my best to get the bike infotainment set up BEFORE I ride off.

Too bad ...