IGNORED

Venture Valve Party

Marcarl

The party has started.

Bikes were delivered and positioned. It's warm and lit.

Stands were located under the main frames. Good place I think.

Some plastic was removed as were the seats and fuel tanks. Probably good idea, seeing as it's warm outside.

Spark plugs removed and valve covers loosened. Found out that getting them loose didn't help much with getting them out.

So far the race is equal.

Next time the approach is to drain some coolant, and chuck the carbs.

Who said this was easy?

2 guys working hard, I feel sorry for them. Yah!!??

20210317_124754.jpg

20210317_124822.jpg

20210317_124845.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sleepy2 said:

Oil purchased along with filter and plugs.  Didn't even see you take pictures!(must have been concentrating on the task!)

Gotta watch him Phil, he’s sneaky, ya never know what kind of pics he’ll take. Hope they get the border open soon so we can all get together again. 

Did an oil change on the Spyder last night, had more oil left over so I did the diesel as well, now the neighbor wants his oil changed. No problem, after doing my two I have more left over than I need. Crappy thing is, I have just as much now as when I started this project. Just a bit different color is all. Gotta see if Marca has some food coloring,, that otta do it!! Leave it to beaver!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

No problem, after doing my two I have more left over than I need. Crappy thing is, I have just as much now as when I started this project. Just a bit different color is all. Gotta see if Marca has some food coloring,, that otta do it!! Leave it to beaver!!

You is supposed to toss the old oil out not add food coloring to make it look like new oil with updated additives. Leave it to a dutchman to stretch a penny :confused24:

• Haha 2

Valves are adjusted, got most of them right I think. Discovered that this is more interesting than it is on a first gen, might suggest to make some modifications so that it is easier to put back together. I'm thinking there is a lot of stuff just getting in the way of progress. More hoses and wires than you can shake a stick at. Hope @sleepy2 and @XV1100SEknow where all the crap attaches to. I helped them so far and @saddlebumwas here to add more confusion, so we'll see what happens next. May have a couple of scooters forsale shortly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Valves are adjusted, got most of them right I think. Discovered that this is more interesting than it is on a first gen, might suggest to make some modifications so that it is easier to put back together. I'm thinking there is a lot of stuff just getting in the way of progress. More hoses and wires than you can shake a stick at. Hope @sleepy2 and @XV1100SEknow where all the crap attaches to. I helped them so far and @saddlebumwas here to add more confusion, so we'll see what happens next. May have a couple of scooters forsale shortly.

Weel somebody had to come and help drink that big tank of coffee  :doh:  I mean supervise ... Good thing I was there to Cause Carl's idea of maintaining a .004 clearance for the intake And .006 for the exhaust btewwn the lobe and shim was just to leave pieces of feeler gauge in place and throw the covers back on. He mumbled something about this way the distance between the cam lobe and shim would always stay the same :bang head:

7 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Weel somebody had to come and help drink that big tank of coffee  :doh:  I mean supervise ... Good thing I was there to Cause Carl's idea of maintaining a .004 clearance for the intake And .006 for the exhaust btewwn the lobe and shim was just to leave pieces of feeler gauge in place and throw the covers back on. He mumbled something about this way the distance between the cam lobe and shim would always stay the same :bang head:

Bum is only welcome once in a while, though I do like him a lot, so I will add the word great! I will let you insert it into the sentence where you think it might sound the best. Thanks @saddlebumfor coming out and drinking our coffee and messing with the organization of tools.

2 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Bum is only welcome once in a while, though I do like him a lot, so I will add the word great! I will let you insert it into the sentence where you think it might sound the best. Thanks @saddlebumfor coming out and drinking our coffee and messing with the organization of tools.

:thumbsup2: 

Just now, ragtop69gs said:

Don't know what is taking so long ! Carbon One and I did both our bikes valves in about 6.5 hours and we didnt have a tanker of coffee.  Probably just the difference between USA time and that metric Canadian time,,, yep, thats gotta be it! 

Problem with these guys, they had to keep comparing each other and had big discussions as to who was boss. They did finally figure it out though.

Was that yours or mine?

20210319_113008.jpg

Where is everybody? Break time again???

20210319_132358.jpg

That goes WHERE??

20210319_132433.jpg

Now back to work, time is moving on.

20210319_155124.jpg

Picture time, they look happy!!

20210319_155132.jpg

It was supposed to go there,, drat!!

20210319_155155.jpg

Hope Don didn't notice, I know it's red!! Looks better that way.

20210319_155211.jpg

Runnin like a top!! First one done.

20210319_160409.jpg

This one likes runnin as well.

20210319_160850.jpg

They left the tools out!! Well at least they got that right. Thanks guys!!

20210319_162950.jpg

Was fun working on the two bikes at the same time.  Made it easier comparing how to take certain parts off and how to put them on....routing cables and hoses.... finding "missing" pipe clamps that found places to hide...  Carl as supervisor and advisor... 
Pic of bike stripped down and almost all the parts taken off... then not even a single extra bolt....and the bike back together and running.

20210318_145332[1].jpg

20210318_145351[1].jpg

20210319_162615[1].jpg

20210319_162620[1].jpg

20210319_162629[1].jpg

• Like 2

So where did you hide the box of left over parts? I was cleaning up one night after a job that someone else had done and found a small rubber fitting that didnt quite make a 180 bend. Looked important so i showed it to the other guy and he looked all over the car trying to find where it went.  Wasnt till months later fixing deer damage on the same kind of car that we found it was just a vent cover for the headlights. He spent two hours going over that car looking for where this little piece of rubber was suppose to go and here it was something we hadn't even touched. Go figure

Yep had a great few days working together! Carl let us take our time so we didn't forget anything. Even so we did put a couple things on out of order and a couple reroutes for hoses but NO missing parts and no left overs. I think we could have done the job quicker also  but we would have had less time getting along. And with all the parts that had to be removed slow and patience with thinking over and discussion helped a lot! I only had to change 2 shims on the valve check--not sure how many Don did.

Carl got my choke to work properly as I must have too much oil and  the fitting got covered with a film coating. He also repaired my lower fairing mounting tabs.

Can't say enough about the people on this site!

Also can't forget to thank  @saddlebum for his shim and tool loan. Also his help supervising with @Marcarl

• Like 3

Well you know supervising the supervisor to make sure he supervises the students properly is a very important undertaking. Now I may have done a better job supervising the supervisor if there had been donuts with the coffee but sometimes you just got to work with what you got. In any case I deemed Carl did well enough that my assistance was no longer required (and a second day without donuts would have been a hard go) So I stayed home the next day to finish working on my own bike. My sons camper and a pine corner book case I was drafted into building for my daughter. PSSST I hid the honey do jar cuss the missus kept tossing pieces of paper in it, not sure what they were for but I got the feeling it was not in my best interest.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Well you know supervising the supervisor to make sure he supervises the students properly is a very important undertaking. Now I may have done a better job supervising the supervisor if there had been donuts with the coffee but sometimes you just got to work with what you got. In any case I deemed Carl did well enough that my assistance was no longer required (and a second day without donuts would have been a hard go) So I stayed home the next day to finish working on my own bike. My sons camper and a pine corner book case I was drafted into building for my daughter. PSSST I hid the honey do jar cuss the missus kept tossing pieces of paper in it, not sure what they were for but I got the feeling it was not in my best interest.

DUTCHMAN!!!! YOU could have brought the donuts!!!!! I'm sure @XV1100SEwould have been very appreciative. And @sleepy2 might have helped in keeping them warm as well. Anyways though, the fact that you did show up for a while was much enjoyed, even though you had ulterior motives, such as the honey due list you mentioned.

Only problem I had was parts web site said my 2012 had different bolt washer assembly(bolt with washer) than @XV1100SEs 2009 that takes just replacement washer. So when I took off valve covers they were identical to his. The washers that came with my bolts were smaller in width across where they sit on cover but @Marcarl said they cover enough of the hole so should be OK. Will keep an eye on them the next few rides and if they leak I will have to order wider washers.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, Marcarl said:

DUTCHMAN!!!! YOU could have brought the donuts!!!!! I'm sure @XV1100SEwould have been very appreciative. And @sleepy2 might have helped in keeping them warm as well. Anyways though, the fact that you did show up for a while was much enjoyed, even though you had ulterior motives, such as the honey due list you mentioned.

Are you insinuating I only volunteered so as to get outa peeking in to the  honey do jar. That is so unfair. To make such an assumption. and then to publicize your unfounded guessing. :backinmyday:

:smile5:Ok so maybe there is just a teeny weenie smidgen of truth to that but I ain't-a-gonna admit it :whistling:  

Edited by saddlebum