IGNORED

A good motorcycle camping tent

Ipleedthe5th

Hey all,

I'm looking to get out there finally and do some motorcycle camping with my lady. Anyone have any good recommendations for a good tent? I've been eye balling this one ( https://redverz.com/atacama/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpbl8-a37wIVEhvnCh1_ewcfEAQYAyABEgKLC_D_BwE )

Also, any tips on how to gear up the bike for a long trip like that? I tried before and had way to much weight on the back, wondering how I can maybe put some gear (tent and tarp at least) on the front end.

Stay safe out there!

-Zach

Edited by Ipleedthe5th
add link

That looks like a nice tent! It's a bit out of my price range!

I would highly reccomend setting up to pull a trailer for extended camping trips.

Kris and I just use a cheap Ozark Mtn. 4 man tent from Walmart. A good sleep system is a better investment than an expensive tent. Check the gun and knife shows or Mil Surp stores for the newer black Ranger systems. They can be had for under $100 in excellent condition and will have you set for every condition.

With the trailer, we have room to pack the tent, sleep systems, a small folding table, camp stove, cooking gear, a large loaded cooler(on the tongue), air matresses, and even a HF Canopy to set up the kitchen. This leaves the hard bags for snacks, water,  rain gear, and tools

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 2

On a side note i tend to spray the bottem of the tent each year with a waterproofing spray and use a piece of vapour barrier cut just smaller in size under it. Its a little less bulky then an extra tarp and cheaper. To spray the bottom set it up and flip it on its side. Alot easier then fighting with it. I used carriage bolts left over from a project for holding down the ground tarp. They dont bend as easy and are not as sharp as nails with washers welded on them.

12 hours ago, Pro procrastinator said:

On a side note i tend to spray the bottem of the tent each year with a waterproofing spray and use a piece of vapour barrier cut just smaller in size under it. Its a little less bulky then an extra tarp and cheaper. To spray the bottom set it up and flip it on its side. Alot easier then fighting with it. I used carriage bolts left over from a project for holding down the ground tarp. They dont bend as easy and are not as sharp as nails with washers welded on them.

There are foot prints available for most tents and they do give the floor a lot of protection, specially when camped on fine granular sand. You would be surprise how that sand can rub little pin holes through your floor. If you can't find a foot print made to fit your tent you can make a decent one from some tyvek house wrap. Just make sure you make it a bit smaller then the tent floor. You do not want the foot print  sticking out from under your tent so that it can catch rain water, otherwise you will end up with a pool of water between the foot print and the tent floor.

As far as Tents go I am a firm believer in buying a Quality tent such as MSR or Eureka for example. I have tried the cheaper tents and I find most of them almost always find a way to let water in. I have Three tents the eureka spitfire 2 for when I want to travel ultra light and just need enough room for me and my gear and this packs up not much bigger than a lunch box thermos bottle and sets up in ten minutes.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/spitfire-2-person-tent

For a bit more room but still very compact  I have an MSR 2 person tent which packs up about the size of a foot ball both these tents have gone on long back country backpacking trips and many motorcycle trips including VR rallys.

https://www.msrgear.com/ca/tents/backpacking-tents/hubba-hubba-nx-2-person-backpacking-tent/10316.html

My third tent which will house two military cots yet still packs up small enough to pack with the rest of my gear on a motorcycle but too large for back packing I have a Big Agness flying diamod 4 person ten. I like this one if I am staying put in one place for any length of time.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-443/Flying-Diamond-4-Person-Tent

All three of these tents have kept me dry through some of the worst thunderstorms with 60 MPH winds.

When it comes to tents I lways consider a 2 person comfy enough for one and a four person comfy enough for two. That is not to see they won't sleep the number they say they will but it means packing in like sardines and sleeping with your head in the opposite direction of the person or persons beside you.

Edited by saddlebum