IGNORED

When to replace tires?

SpencerPJ

So, I have an 83. Below are pictures of my current tires.  They are Shinko 230 Tour Master, purchased and installed July 2018, and I have 11,706 miles on them. I know they are nearing their end, but how far do you guys typically ride with them.  FYI, I generally keep within 75 miles of my house, mostly country afternoon rides, do not ride very sporty, on occasion will crank on throttle .

598867017_front2.JPG.39377baafef9eb472d58d47cb1310a15.JPGrear1.JPG.7cf940a0233e9866e375cf50ce14e4de.JPG

Surprisingly, they were both early 2018 tires.  I forget the week, too lazy to get on my knees and look,  but I do recall being a stickler (I own a TT, know all about that discussion). I'm just wondering if those dots are the 'replace now threshold' ?

As well as the wear bars you can measure the tread depth. For motorcycle tires minimum tread depth is 1.5mm or 2/32nds, at three equally spaced areas around the tire. This is to eliminate a single flat spot caused by braking for example from condemning a tire when the tread depth around the rest of the tire is acceptable, ( unless of course that flat spot is down to a dangerous level such as near or at the cords ).  Anything less and you need to replace those tires. Other factors you need to look for are hairline cracks in the side wall or in the tread grooves. Abnormal sidewall bulges or signs of tread separation. Lastly a tire may appear perfectly normal with lots of tread but got hard with age, so when you feel a tire loosing road grip when they should still be biting replace them. The last thing you need is a tire breaking loose, from the road in a curve or corner.  The  manufactures date stamp, is a good guide line but I have had tires go hard and become dangerous within three years of the manufacturing date stamp and have to admit it hurts to replace tires with plenty of tread left but I am sure road rash or worse would hurt a whole lot more.

With regards to those dots I am pretty sure they are also wear indicators. easy way to find out is measure the depth of the dot with a tread gauge and compare to the tread depth adjacent to the dot if the difference is approx 1.5 mm or 2/32nds than you know.

Edited by saddlebum