IGNORED

Possible Purchase 2009 Venture S

Hello all, FNG here. Started out looking for a used 2005 to 2006 Goldwing then came across a 2009 Venture S. Just wanted to see if there were any known issues or anything to look out for if I decide to go look at this bike. Surprised these bikes are still carbureted in 2009. Link below, let me know what you think

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1033771087098908/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Reliable bikes.  Most of them have a gear whine at a certain rpm known as the clutch basket whine.  Mine has it.  It's irritating to me but it isn't a reliability problem.  I think the Venture is a better looking bike than the Goldwing.  There is a thread on this site about typical issues with these bikes.  

Even though this bike has low miles and is in excellent condition it's been sitting for 2 years with gas in it. Owner has already moved out of town and left it with a relative to sell. Current condition is unknown if it will even start. I don't need that headache.  Plus it's 3 hours away.

Edited by KC61

1 hour ago, RDawson said:

The RSV has more leg room. 

Very true, but the Goldwing is fuel injected, has much better aftermarket support, and has reverse.

My wife and boys called my ST1300 an "old man's bike", and they think the Venture is even worse. I'd never hear the end of it if I brought a Goldwing home. 

1 hour ago, Stasher1 said:

My wife and boys called my ST1300 an "old man's bike", and they think the Venture is even worse. I'd never hear the end of it if I brought a Goldwing home. 

I ride what I like and is comfortable to me. If I worried about what others say I’d be on an HD like all the followers, besides that I am an old man so it works. 

• Like 1

I was wrong about the gas being in there for 2 years. Just since this past December. Female owner, moved out of town. She will take $6k for the bike. Has less than 7k miles on it. Best I can do on a Goldwing in that price range is probably a 2003 or maybe an 03 at best. The Venture is heavy for sure and the carb's don't really excite me. 

Buy the bike that you like would be my advice.  Carbs are not that much of a problem if the bike is ridden but if it sits more than it is ridden, they can be a pita.  The Venture has a curb weight of 869 lbs but in my opinion it isn't top heavy although the wing is the least top heavy of the touring bikes for sure.  

@KC61, the Venture is a great bike.  I had a '99 until I gave up riding after my son was born and just picked up a 2007 last year with 21k miles on it.  I loved my '99 Venture and had no reservations about picking up another one to get back in the saddle all these years later.

However, it turned out I did have carb issue due to my bike having had some sit time on it.  One of the members here does a $400 carb swap, which is what I ended up doing & the bike runs great now! 

BTW, ironically, I am leaving in a few days to ride it to KC! 

6250 miles on it...basically has had one oil change.  When new this bike sold for around $18,000.  I see it has the passing lights and trunk rack...not much has been done to it so hasn't been messed with.   $6500 - sounds like a good deal to me.  Run carb cleaner thru it (Seafoam is good)... because of the age of the tires (probably original) you'll want to change them, oil and coolant obviously...

My ride is a 2009 with over 100,000km on it.  No issues.  The gear whine that was mentioned is due to straight cut gears and seem to be pre-2009 models.  For the 2009 year they changed the clutch basket (think it is a "H" basket) and on mine there is no whine.

If you've been reading the posts here (there is a "known issues" thread) you'll see that there were very few issues with the 2nd Gen Venture.  Very little to maintain and these bikes like the higher RPM's so don't be afraid to take it up to the 6,200 rpm rev limiter - just hang on !

For the price and mileage you would be getting a new bike.  Since it has been listed a while you can probably talk them down on the price but that mileage and condition for $6500 it is a good deal.