IGNORED

wiring suggestions please. USB charging port

I make various jumpers for the Venture. I make a plug and play jumper break out that plugs in to the back side of the cigarette lighter that is in the lower portion of the fairing on the left side.

I can put wires on the bare pins in the photo and you can but splice or solder your adapter to those wires.

The jumper is $10.00 delivered to any where in the lower 48.

DSC_0081.JPG

• Like 2

I added a usb charging port in my trunk.  I have a 6 gang fuse block under the passenger back rest (there is a hollow area there).  This goes to the battery terminals.  For the USB port I use the running lights to enable a relay so that the usb port is powered when the bike is running.  I figured the trunk was watertight so if I'm riding and recharging my phone or other device it is out of the elements.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:45 PM, Stasher1 said:

Is there a reason you're not simply replacing the factory 12V lighter-style port with a dual USB version?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJFWLZB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_XYSHPDMHG0189B3P0F26

My question was really more for Thee_oddball. I completely understand gutting a dead cassette player and replacing it with charger ports. I was going to do the same with mine, but I was going to fabricate a new face out of steel coated in truck bedliner to hold a dual USB, a lighter-style port, and an aux input to make it look like it came that way. 

I realized as I was tossing parts in my Amazon cart that I have no use for a lighter-style 12V port and I could just replace the factory one with a dual USB for less money/time/effort. 

• 6 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, M61A1MECH said:

I make various jumpers for the Venture. I make a plug and play jumper break out that plugs in to the back side of the cigarette lighter that is in the lower portion of the fairing on the left side.

I can put wires on the bare pins in the photo and you can but splice or solder your adapter to those wires.

The jumper is $10.00 delivered to any where in the lower 48.

DSC_0081.JPG

Is there a way to plug one of those jumpers. Is anywhere on the rear of the motorcycle. I just bought a Gen. To venture the other day And I would like to Put a usb charging hub in the trunk. But don't want to worry about running a wire all the way from the front

52 minutes ago, Bubblezdamunky said:

Is there a way to plug one of those jumpers. Is anywhere on the rear of the motorcycle. I just bought a Gen. To venture the other day And I would like to Put a usb charging hub in the trunk. But don't want to worry about running a wire all the way from the front

I do not know if there are any ignition switched power sources with connectors close to the trunk. I do not have a Venture any more so I cannot investigate to find a suitable source of power. I make a breakout harness that plugs in under the seat to access the rear lighting circuits, the tail light circuit has constant power that is switched with the ignition. There are bullet connectors in the triable shaped housing behind the license plate you can access the tail light circuit and ground there, but I am not sure there is an elegant way to get wires from behind the license plate into the trunk. I suspect no matter where you pick power up you are going to need to pull the driver and passenger seat to do the install, so maybe using my under the seat break out could work, it is only a matter of a few feet of wire. I could make a special  harness with extra long leads for the tail light and ground to get you back to the trunk area. I know here is room in the existing wire management clips and clamps to where you can lace two extra wires in from under the seat back to the trunk. Here is a link to my under the seat break out harness.  Please note there may be a slight price increase as the post office has just raised their rates, I am researching now to determine the impact  to my published prices.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, Bubblezdamunky said:

You're absolutely right where are my manners I should have posted pictures yesterday. But I was so busy getting things squared away with getting an appointment at the DMV and shopping for insurance. Well that's what she looks like just ignore or the missing Leg faring panel on the right side that's sitting on the floor of my garage I have that off to get to the fuse Box cause I'm waiting for my cell phone mount/charger to arrive16332845886266264387420589709548.thumb.jpg.4604ff041200886e4493fb0d2f74d3ae.jpg16332845544475094262261748776636.thumb.jpg.e63c8418748f54d1a1dd0fa1b2347865.jpg16332845708555014137709986196245.thumb.jpg.6c957f151835e3baf0df1d4162ad6310.jpg16332842915828150164899626937881.thumb.jpg.1dacc5146b640460f669bca3b3c4fe9d.jpg

On 9/6/2014 at 8:11 PM, Seaking said:

I installed an Alpine KTP 445U 40W Amp under the radio frame. Easy enough to plug into the bike system etc. You get a bigger boost in sound to punch through the wind when traveling down the highway without distortion. I run my MP3s through my GPS which also speaks direction changes through the bike's audio system..

9 minutes ago, M61A1MECH said:

I do not know if there are any ignition switched power sources with connectors close to the trunk. I do not have a Venture any more so I cannot investigate to find a suitable source of power. I make a breakout harness that plugs in under the seat to access the rear lighting circuits, the tail light circuit has constant power that is switched with the ignition. There are bullet connectors in the triable shaped housing behind the license plate you can access the tail light circuit and ground there, but I am not sure there is an elegant way to get wires from behind the license plate into the trunk. I suspect no matter where you pick power up you are going to need to pull the driver and passenger seat to do the install, so maybe using my under the seat break out could work, it is only a matter of a few feet of wire. I could make a special  harness with extra long leads for the tail light and ground to get you back to the trunk area. I know here is room in the existing wire management clips and clamps to where you can lace two extra wires in from under the seat back to the trunk. Here is a link to my under the seat break out harness.  Please note there may be a slight price increase as the post office has just raised their rates, I am researching now to determine the impact  to my published prices.

Is there a way to access the power for the rear DC outlet the same as you would for the front. Is currently my idea is to use Is a piggyback fuse to add a secondary circuit in the fuse Box to the rear DC outlet circuit and then run the wire. The problem is I really don't want to have to worry about removing the gas tank. I don't care about moving the seats. But I can't think of a way that's not gonna look crappy to run a wire all the way from the right foot peg is foot peg Fierce Box all the way back into the trunk. As far as getting into the trunk that's not a problem my trunk has an LED Cyclops light and the wire for that already has a whole drilled into the bottom of the trunk I can use. It's just getting the wire back there without making it noticeable that's going to be the challenge.

10 minutes ago, Bubblezdamunky said:

Is there a way to access the power for the rear DC outlet the same as you would for the front. Is currently my idea is to use Is a piggyback fuse to add a secondary circuit in the fuse Box to the rear DC outlet circuit and then run the wire. The problem is I really don't want to have to worry about removing the gas tank. I don't care about moving the seats. But I can't think of a way that's not gonna look crappy to run a wire all the way from the right foot peg is foot peg Fierce Box all the way back into the trunk. As far as getting into the trunk that's not a problem my trunk has an LED Cyclops light and the wire for that already has a whole drilled into the bottom of the trunk I can use. It's just getting the wire back there without making it noticeable that's going to be the challenge.

Actually there is a small white two pin connector on the left side down by the battery, it is a low amperage maybe 5 amps max, I am pretty sure it is switched with the ignition. When you find it you will see that what you have is a dummied off connector with a seal pug in where the wire with a seal goes, you could also access that. You could do as I proposed above and put a fuse in the circuit going to the USB charger to protect the tail light circuit, you do not want to lose that light because the USB port goes south.

Here is link to an old post about that connector near the battery maybe this will help. If you decide to go with the white 2-pin, I have the correct contacts and seals for that style connector.

40 minutes ago, M61A1MECH said:

Actually there is a small white two pin connector on the left side down by the battery, it is a low amperage maybe 5 amps max, I am pretty sure it is switched with the ignition. When you find it you will see that what you have is a dummied off connector with a seal pug in where the wire with a seal goes, you could also access that. You could do as I proposed above and put a fuse in the circuit going to the USB charger to protect the tail light circuit, you do not want to lose that light because the USB port goes south.

Here is link to an old post about that connector near the battery maybe this will help. If you decide to go with the white 2-pin, I have the correct contacts and seals for that style connector.

I have to look at my bike later when I get home I think I know this connection you're talking about if it's the one I'm thinking of I was looking at it last night and wondering "what is this for" . Using what shouldn't be an issue as long as long as I use A charging hub that's under 5 amps. And put a fuse on it?

44 minutes ago, Bubblezdamunky said:

Using what shouldn't be an issue as long as long as I use A charging hub that's under 5 amps. And put a fuse on it?

That would be correct.

If you have not found it yet, here is a link to the wiring diagrams for the Gen II Royal Star Ventures. 

12 hours ago, Bubblezdamunky said:

I have to look at my bike later when I get home I think I know this connection you're talking about if it's the one I'm thinking of I was looking at it last night and wondering "what is this for" . Using what shouldn't be an issue as long as long as I use A charging hub that's under 5 amps. And put a fuse on it?

Here is another way to get power to the USB charging port if it needs more than 5 amps. Use the small white connector to switch on a relay when the ignition is turned on, run a fused circuit from the battery to the Normally Open contacts  of the relay to power the USB charging port. Using this method you could actually power up a hub with a couple of power circuits if you wanted to. 

• Like 1

I have located an auxiliary fuse block under the seat of my 02. I run a couple things off it as I have a 10 gauge wire feeding it directly off the battery. I run my passing lights from that fuse block and an additional horn as well as a 12 volt power source that is fed directly from the block into the trunk of the bike. It's constant hot so that I can plug in a phone even when the bike is off to charge it. I used a larger fuse and heavier wire for it as I wanted to be able to use one of the 12 volt air compressors in the case that I needed to fill a tire up.   

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:44 PM, M61A1MECH said:

Hey is this the plug you were referring to. So if I were to wire something up to that plug is that plug with a 5:00 a.m. fuse it would give me power only when the bike is keyed on?

16336363377762369620827943355831.jpg

Yes that is the one I was talking about and yes to the best of my recollection that is powered through the ignition and if you need more than 5 AMPs use it to turn on a relay and run fused battery power through the relay contacts.

PM me with your mailing address if you need or want the proper pins and seals for that connector.

• Like 1