IGNORED

A bad day

RAGING BULL

Wow  !!!

Sorry to hear that.   Do you know the nature of the failure?   Like Freebird said, I've never heard of a blown motor on one of these....many of the old ones have 2nd gear failure, but I've been with the site since '08 and yours is the first motor failure I've heard of.:yikes:

I have heard of a couple that have blown. I every case it was tracked down to a hydro lock. not necessarily at the time it blew but you may have recently had a hard start where the starter had a hard time turning it over, this could have started the damage and then while cruising finished it off.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Flyinfool said:

I have heard of a couple that have blown. I every case it was tracked down to a hydro lock. not necessarily at the time it blew but you may have recently had a hard start where the starter had a hard time turning it over, this could have started the damage and then while cruising finished it off.

Jeff hit the nail on the head. I have witnessed a friends Tour Deluxe let go after the bike hydrolocked on a hard start. They replaced the engine under warranty, but it's not totally unheard of, sorry about your mishap 😕

• Like 1

The motor on my 83. Blew after a 600 mile drive home. Started to get hot getting off the highway. Rode it home about 10mile. We we're tied and it was raining. My fault. Got a 87VR on Friday. 

May not help but someone posted a 83 motor same day for 250. FB marketplace in springfield missouri

The hard start referred to is caused by hydro locking the engine. If carb floats stick or leak with the gas left on it will fill the cylinders with gas, then when you try to start it the liquid can’t be compressed so it bends or breaks rods. Gas will also fill the crankcase. If you replace the engine make sure to get the carbs rebuilt and set correctly or you could very well blow the new engine the same way. 
1st gens aren’t near as likely to do this since their gas tanks are below the carbs. 

Edited by RDawson
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RDawson said:

The hard start referred to is caused by hydro locking the engine. If carb floats stick or leak with the gas left on it will fill the cylinders with gas, then when you try to start it the liquid can’t be compressed so it bends or breaks rods. Gas will also fill the crankcase. If you replace the engine make sure to get the carbs rebuilt and set correctly or you could very well blow the new engine the same way. 
1st gens aren’t near as likely to do this since their gas tanks are below the carbs. 

Ronnie's explanation is spot on. The cylinder is over fueled and when it's spun over, it stops dead. Sometimes it will start after that, but the damage is done.

• Like 1

After looking at it today you guys are right, sticky float. It started hard a couple times, I just thought it was due to weak battery. Boy was I wrong, hate learning this way lol. Gas in the oil.  Still looking for an engine, pinwall didn't have any and having a hard time finding one around here.  Next time I have problems I will ask here,  you all are pretty knowledgeable, thanks for the info and help.  It is much appreciated. 

• Like 2

If you are talking about a Royal Star Venture or Tour Deluxe, the motors from 1999 to 2013 are all the same, including the 2005 to 2010 Tour Deluxe. There were still some non Venture Royal Stars made between 1999 and 2001, those are not a direct fit a Venture or  2005 to 2010 Tour Deluxe. 

The early model Ventures had silver fins and stays to the front fin covers the older model ones had black fins and black stays.

Who is they?

I’ve been considering the last couple years of adding a vacuum petcock to my bike like the Virago and some other smaller bikes had. The hard part to that will be getting gas to the pump on start up. Maybe a 12v solenoid valve instead would be the answer, key on and gas flows. 

Edited by RDawson

7 minutes ago, Flyinfool said:

I wonder if it would be worth it to add a solenoid valve in the gas line.

That way it is only open if the ignition is on. Automatic protection.

I mentioned the same thing, kind of an I-D-10T proofing step. I got out of the habit of turning off the gas with my 1st gen and never got back into it. My bike is setting in the shop right now with the gas on. We got in around 75 miles and supper this evening. 

18 minutes ago, RAGING BULL said:

Makes sense but after what happened you can guarantee I will keep my head "out" and pay more attention 🤔

Don’t take my comments as a dig toward you. I am one of the worst about leaving mine turned on and I know better. All it takes is one piece of trash in a carb or a sticky float. I’m thinking of adding an automatic valve to mine before I end up where you are. 

You didn't bother me, I have thick skin lol. Just can't believe I  let that happen, should've listened to what the bike was telling me. Some lessons are more costly than others. You guys are pretty knowledgeable and I'm glad to hear what yall have to say. 

• Like 2