IGNORED

Any of you shooters into the Silencer/Suppressor world?

cowpuc

Now that my bucket list Beretta 92a1 is laying here smiling at me while the two of us wait for its factory 22lr conversion kit to come in the mail, the thought occurred to the two of us that I still have not pursued to any real extent getting his (Tony's) Suppressor. I have done some research though and here is what I am pretty sure of thus far:

1. Purchase silencer off Gunbroker and have it shipped to a Class 3 FFL.

2. When FFL calls and says its in, go there and fill out my tax stamp info on a KIOSK and send in the $200 tax stamp money.

3. Wait my 6 to 12 months for approval.

4. Bring home my suppressor when paper work comes back from the ATF..

All that sound about right? Thoughts?

Here is one fly in the ointment that I am wondering about.. My hands are shot.. I did have my right hand repaired a while ago but my left hand pinky finger is still pretty much laying in my palm with no way to raise it. There is no way I can open my hand and place it on the KIOSK screen for finger prints. Do any of you know if the option of going to a Police Station and have the finger printing done there the old fashioned way is still an option? I can pry my left pinky up about 1/2 inch so I am almost sure "hard" prints are possible.. Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance for any and all info concerning shooting on the silent side!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc
  • Like 1

Go down to your local LEO station and talk to them about getting your prints for the form. Take a copy of the form with you in case they do not have one. They will know if they can get the prints from your hand to the form.

Ya know if ya stopped hiding from the chat room we could discuss this properly........

Snow Ball.gif

Edited by Flyinfool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:47 AM, Sylvester said:

Dang Puc, you're about as bad off as I am.  Can't tell you how to get finger prints but I can tell you to enjoy your shooting while you can.

No wiser words have EVER been spoken my brother!! 

4 hours ago, Sylvester said:

Puc's problem is he can't open his pinky finger to get it on the glass.  Maybe having it amputated would solve the problem.

Just kidding!

Yep,, and unless I can find a way to get under there for prints, my silencer plans are disappearing.. The local LEO dept said no way and there is absolutely no chance I can get it done on a KIOSK.. Oh well,, I may have stay LOUD the rest of my life LOL..

DSCN8925.JPG

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Flyinfool said:

How about just put it in Tipps name?

I actually checked into that very thing as I was thinking that would indeed solve a lot of issues.  Problem is with the Class 3 stuff like silencers the person who has the stamp has to be present anytime the Class 3 is being used so being able to go shooting with the boys with Tony on my side and my silencer screwed on his barrel would not be possible.  I even stopped by our local FFL/SOT Class 3 shop and talked to them about doing a Trust with both of us on it as sharing in the ownership thinking that may be a solution. Even that requires my pinky print so right back to square one.  Perhaps @Sylvester's idea of amputating my pinky is not so far fetched.. If I did that I could just carry my digit down to the FLL/SOT and use the KIOSK like any normal person would do..  Appreciate the thoughts though brother!!

Puc I would check elsewhere for your prints, I work in a central booking facility and if someone has a finger that can't be printed there is an option to skip that finger with reason selected.

Ron

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ragtop69gs said:

Get with a lawyer and form a Trust. Move all the firearms into it, then have the trust purchase and register the suppression devices.

Thats been the exact game plan all along Raggie BUT,, and it is a HUGE BUT,, all persons named on the trust (including myself) MUST be finger printed and thats the rub..

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I've heard of taping a plastic drink bottle on the end of the barrel and it would work like a silencer but it is illegal.  Anyone tried that?

A person would be a fool to ever admit to have done that Sky.. I just heard of a shooter in Michigan that purchased some Desiel truck filters that are known for being used as make shift silencers and he ended up with LEO's knocking on his door.. CRAZY!!!

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I've heard of taping a plastic drink bottle on the end of the barrel and it would work like a silencer but it is illegal.  Anyone tried that?

33 minutes ago, cowpuc said:

Thats been the exact game plan all along Raggie BUT,, and it is a HUGE BUT,, all persons named on the trust (including myself) MUST be finger printed and thats the rub..

I can't beleive you can't get the NFA check with 9 out of ten finger prints. There has to be a way around this. If I cut my pinky off in table saw accident, I can never get an NFA item? Seriously???

Go right to the source, call the BATF and explain your situation and ask what you need to do. Or call the silencer manufacturer, Their sales depend on being able to steer you in the right direction. The rest of us are just guessing and trying to apply logic to a government agency.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cowpuc said:

There has to be a medical exemption in the law somewhere. It's not like they can't get any prints. Have you checked with BATF about your situation, they may have info you are not aware of.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flyinfool said:

Go right to the source, call the BATF and explain your situation and ask what you need to do. Or call the silencer manufacturer, Their sales depend on being able to steer you in the right direction. The rest of us are just guessing and trying to apply logic to a government agency.

I will call them Monday and say "Hi, this is Jeff from Wisconsin....."

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Flyinfool said:

Please do, then they will have contact info......:sign20:

You may not be so LOLish when I explain the operation of the WWW to them Fool.. I gotta hunch the nozzles on that puppy and/or the turbo boost is not registered and I am SURE the high temp snow chemical mix is not.. LOL

I have been fireman guy years past user as a kid , and entered many legit events all sizes of guns/shooters .

I think you guys in the USA are fortunate to at least be able to own a firearm without having the government calling you a criminal .

I was loading ammo for law enforcement , all was going well , and I was registered and licensed .

2 tears ago I wanted to sell or give away any hardware I had , in doing so I had to de-register ,

I handed in the forms they had sent me as legit owner , they tryed to arrest me calling me a criminal because they did not know where Manitoba was and could not find any paper work .

The people running the registration office had no clue as how big this country is and how many provinces Canada has

Then along came activist groups who would scream and yell  that all guns kill people .

They put no thought to the fact that bad guys do these things not the hardware .

Our federal government  funds  these groups in order to get more votes come election time ..

Good luck guys and have fun