IGNORED

First look at my new xvz13dt/dtc

Popsnana19655

Bought it yesterday 3/6/21. Rode it home in the freezing rain 🌧️. PO didn't much about bikes. Just rode it around town. 

What I know so far is.

It runs and rides good. In the freezing rain 🌧️. Lol 

No tail lights . Changed bulbs. Put a flashlight in it. To get it home.

Got brake lights work.

No dash lights. Computer, everything else works . 

Suspension adjustment not coming on . Or CB. No power to that side.

Getting a test light now.

39k miles garage keeper by both PO. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!  Beautiful bike!  Now, can you do something about the weather back there?  I'm planning to ride to KC at the end of the month and will be there most of April, bouncing down to St. Louis on a couple of occasions.

59 minutes ago, Popsnana19655 said:

Update fixed the tail light. It was the connection in the fuse box. CB works now. 

To bright to  see the dash lights. Are they on the same circuit as the tail light?

Now I got figure out the suspension.

Suspension is probably because the circuit card needs to be re-soldered.  They are notorious for having cold cracked joints. Even to the naked eye under inspection they can appear to be ok but they in fact are not.  If you need help with that let me know.

Edited by Pasta Burner

Lets pause for a moment.  The CLASS only comes to life when the key is in the Acc position.  Try that first.  

As far as rework I should correct myself that it’s not likely they were cold joints but are old and tired which is why you don’t see evidence.  There is a link somewhere that I couldn’t find. I spent the first 15 years of my career with an iron in my hand and still didn’t see any superficial error, although it was obvious someone before had tried.  Correct soldering skills are critical.  Having nothing to loose I reflowed every joint on the system and it now works flawless.

After fixing the board I also was getting a timeout error so I reworked the compressor with a little pneumatic oil on the rubber bits and it’s all good.

as for the desiccant in the dryer. I microwaved it for I wanna remember 10 seconds at a time till the blue came back.

I’ve been in this game less than a year so hopefully someone will correct any flaws.  This is just my experience.

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 1

I got power going to the computer now. I had to solder the dash computer on my 83 . No dim light. Changed the bulb and was about to start chasing wire. Then my friends on here squared me away.

I don't do anything I'm not 100% sure of till I post it. 

I wait till One the guru tells me what to do. 

Going to test it with jump wire first. 

Waiting on a Buddy to get home. He solder better than me.

Update fixed everything soldered the controls they have a bad solder on the back it look bad  .,*+. All the lights working no idiot lights on all the fluids are full . No leaks.Time to go for another ride. And thank you guys for all your help couldn't have done it without you.

• Like 3

.Question about gas mileage? Getting 26.3 a gallon. Ran seafoam in two tanks of gas. Did let it idle alot to charge the battery. When I was messing with the lights and class stuff. (Radio playing). When riding after it warm up. I was getting a higher idle about 2500 rpm. While at a stop light. Normal idle has been 0900 rpm. Runs and rides good on the highway. Couldn't get the cruise control to work. My old cruise control was a thumb clamp on the grip. I got to read the manual to see what I am doing wrong. Lights up unable to set speed. 

Got to do the windshield. It's like looking through a 1000 spider 🕸️ web when the lights hits it. Can't see anything . To short to see over the top. 5'8

I was able to get my old one from the 83 . Can I use it. I already cut 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 off the top . Still to short. Would sit on a boostersit to see over top.

Will be buffing one out this week. The 87 windshield is spiraled bad. Does it have a coating on it. 

GORGEOUS SCOOT @POPS@Popsnana19655!! BEAUTIFUL!! On the low MPG question,, as long as everything is in good shape = air filter/exhaust are not plugged, carb passages are clean, new plugs, carb diaphrams are good and all that, I have found that dropping the slide needles to accomidate worn emulsion tubes sometimes is required to restore MPG.  Also, on the windshield spider webbing issue. By using Plastx from Walmart as a polishing agent I have been able to use my original OEM shield. Even after being on multiple bikes and 100's of thousands of mile it remains crystal clear.. YES, the shields do have a coating on them that on mine has been absent for many many miles..  

39k original miles , The PO just rode it around town or to work and back. Just didn't go anywhere on it. It's was to big and heavy for him. Wanted something smaller. 

As for windshield I put the windshield from the 83 VR.on on it. I already cut it down so I can look over the top of it. Did it last night. To windy today. 55 - 60mph gust . 

I got everything working except the cruise control. All the lights the working on it. Been looking it over. The clutch switch is a little loose. It did jump once while in gear . Been going by the rules of KISS. and it's been simple stuff to fix.

Soldered the class controls.

Changed some fuses and lights.

Changed the windshield.

Seafoam in 3 tanks of gas. Getting 29mph into the wind.

I did turn The ldle down. For now. @cowpuc 

After you solder the class control you should  support the harness to the bottom of the control unit. These solder joints crack because all the strain from the harness is on the connector and  it puts strain on the solder connections every time you open and close it when checking your coolant level. I even added a bit of length to the harness to give it a bit more freedom of movement.

Edited by saddlebum

39k original miles , The PO just rode it around town or to work and back. Just didn't go anywhere on it. It's was to big and heavy for him. Wanted something smaller. 

As for windshield I put the windshield from the 83 VR.on on it. I already cut it down so I can look over the top of it. Did it last night. To windy today. 55 - 60mph gust . 

I got everything working except the cruise control. All the lights the working on it. Been looking it over. The clutch switch is a little loose. It did jump once while in gear . Been going by the rules of KISS. and it's been simple stuff to fix.

Soldered the class controls.

Changed some fuses and lights.

Changed the windshield.

Seafoam in 3 tanks of gas. Getting 29mph into the wind.

I did turn The ldle down. For now. @cowpuc 

Thank you. @saddlebum I was looking at that. Thinking it was binding there. That will save a headache later on.

Started a new store last night in Springfield MO. A 100 miles away. In the rain. Put the windshield from the 83 on it. Cut it down an inch and half to two inches. Was nice being able to see over the top. Again in the rain looking for a motel to take a nap. All are full. Got one in a small town. 

Mileage up to 33mph in the rain.

Cruise control still not setting the speed. Going to clean up switches on the grip. Limited on time, tools and a place to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news on 3/19/2021 the blond beauty has been wrecked. Left turn got me in a intersection in downtown Joplin, missouri. Head on with a full size truck. I slow down watching him . He was sitting still till I got to intersection then he pulled out in front of me. Me and Nana are still sore from the crash.  Front tire almost touching radiator. Will post the picture of it . ASAP THANK YOU GUYS for the help with her she was a beautiful bike. Oh yeah was getting 33.7 MPG that day. Lmao @saddlebum @cowpuc @Pasta Burner @Squidley

• Sad 5