IGNORED

First look at my new xvz13dt/dtc

Popsnana19655

2 minutes ago, Popsnana19655 said:

Sad news on 3/19/2021 the blond beauty has been wrecked. Left turn got me in a intersection in downtown Joplin, missouri. Head on with a full size truck. I slow down watching him . He was sitting still till I got to intersection then he pulled out in front of me. Me and Nana are still sore from the crash.  Front tire almost touching radiator. Will post the picture of it . ASAP THANK YOU GUYS for the help with her she was a beautiful bike. Oh yeah was getting 33.7 MPG that day. Lmao @saddlebum @cowpuc @Pasta Burner @Squidley

OH NOOOOO!! I am sooo sorry to read this Pops!! But am VERY happy to hear the two of you are ok!! My thoughts/prayers are with you folks as you heal up!! DOG GONE IT!!! It is truly a jungle out there!! Hey Pops,, just an FYI,, I sold Maggie (my R1 bucket list bike) a couple days ago because my health got to the point that I could no longer trust my reflexes in situations just as the one that got you.. It really is a jungle out there!! 

• Like 1

Glad you made it out of that alive! Plan on making her whole again?

My one regret is not getting around to riding my gen1 when I had it after restoring it. Ended up with a tour deluxe that took it's place  ut I am sure if I rode both back to back I would still still have the gen1😁.

Ride safe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popsnana19655 said:

Sad news on 3/19/2021 the blond beauty has been wrecked. Left turn got me in a intersection in downtown Joplin, missouri. Head on with a full size truck. I slow down watching him . He was sitting still till I got to intersection then he pulled out in front of me. Me and Nana are still sore from the crash.  Front tire almost touching radiator. Will post the picture of it . ASAP THANK YOU GUYS for the help with her she was a beautiful bike. Oh yeah was getting 33.7 MPG that day. Lmao @saddlebum @cowpuc @Pasta Burner @Squidley

Sorry to hear of the accident, but relieved it's you telling us. We'll get on the lookout for another machine for you if you would like.

• Like 2

I'm always looking for the left turn in front of me. I don't ride in the blind spots if I can help it. I try to ride invisible. Cause I know they are not looking for me. This Guy was at a stop in the left turn lane. I slowed down watching him just sitting there. I got to the intersection and gassed to go through it. That's when he pulled out in front of me and stopped. Only going 25/30 mph. Hit Head on. 4th and main downtown Joplin.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have started to add abut 2 OZ of diesel fuel conditioner to each tank full on my 83 .

I know that 83 Venture is not a diesel , I started this about 5 years ago in all my vehicles , the alcohol blended gasoline  runs hotter and forms condensation in the intake plenum and then the Map sensor forms water droplets on the sensor and the engine runs poorly .

Diesel fuel conditioner helps remove water from the gasoline , then the engine runs cleaner 

It has made a change for the better in all around riding

Pops,

WOW! Glad to hear you and Nana are OK after the blind idiot murphied you.

I've still got the '83. I know the logistics are tough, but I'll put a little time in this today and get the plugs changed. I just returned from Manhattan KS, through MO yesterday. I doubt I could have squeezed The Beast onto my service van, but it might have been fun to try😁.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, larrydr said:

I have started to add abut 2 OZ of diesel fuel conditioner to each tank full on my 83 .

I know that 83 Venture is not a diesel , I started this about 5 years ago in all my vehicles , the alcohol blended gasoline  runs hotter and forms condensation in the intake plenum and then the Map sensor forms water droplets on the sensor and the engine runs poorly .

Diesel fuel conditioner helps remove water from the gasoline , then the engine runs cleaner 

It has made a change for the better in all around riding

If you run gasoline with alcohol, water collection in the fuel tank shouldn't be an issue because water will mix with alcohol and move it through the combustion chamber instead of collecting on the bottom of the tank.  But, when the fuel is burned, one of the products of combustion is water.  That's why water drips out of the exhaust when a cold engine is first started.

• Like 1

Wow it almost sounds like he hit deliberately. More than likely he was on his cell and did not look up before he pulled ahead. Glad your around to talk about it those type of accidents tend to be a lot worse.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:53 AM, Marcarl said:

You could also use methyl hydrate, it absorbs water and is normally called gas-line antifreeze, but a whole lot cheaper if you buy it by the gallon.

I have been buying it in bulk from dealer since 1980 ...5 gallons at a time

On 3/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, BlueSky said:

If you run gasoline with alcohol, water collection in the fuel tank shouldn't be an issue because water will mix with alcohol and move it through the combustion chamber instead of collecting on the bottom of the tank.  But, when the fuel is burned, one of the products of combustion is water.  That's why water drips out of the exhaust when a cold engine is first started.

I have been building  stock and race car engines since 1964 .

Have several engine built GM and others ranging from 3.3--3.5 --3.8 litre and 5.7 litre with condensation build up in the intake plenum resulting in water collecting on the Map Sensor , switching to premium grade fuel with octane rating 91 or better the problem is gone .

The 5.7 litre running 12.5 compression ratio will not run on the low grade blended fuel .

My Honda GL1000 did run on it but not to well

The XV1100 Virago did not run well on it either 

My 83 Venture ran on but the performance was way down as it  has 10.5 compression ratio

My Kenworth needed the additive 

I have been running the Kleen Flo brand , I do buy in bulk and it is cheap , 5 gallons will last me a year .

I buy all my oil and any fuel products in bulk 

I would suspect that water in the intake would be caused by blowby.  Engines crankcases are typically vented through a check valve of some sort to the intake so that the blowby gases are routed through the combustion chamber as an emission control.  This blowby is composed mostly of carbon dioxide and water, the main products of combustion.  When the engine is shut off and cooled any combustion gases left in the intake could result in condensed water vapor, the same thing that happens in the exhaust pipes.  Race engines may not be vented to the intake.  Remember the old cars that had a tube connected to the crankcase behind the  intake that was routed to the bottom of the car.  

Edited by BlueSky

On 3/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, BlueSky said:

I would suspect that water in the intake would be caused by blowby.  Engines crankcases are typically vented through a check valve of some sort to the intake so that the blowby gases are routed through the combustion chamber as an emission control.  This blowby is composed mostly of carbon dioxide and water, the main products of combustion.  When the engine is shut off and cooled any combustion gases left in the intake could result in condensed water vapor, the same thing that happens in the exhaust pipes.  Race engines may not be vented to the intake.  Remember the old cars that had a tube connected to the intake that was routed to the bottom of the car.  

What you are saying all makes sense , I did contact my GM tech support team and the did mention the same ...We were 1000 miles from home and the car ran terrible ..The car has 25000 miles on it from new and it just came out of storage ...I switched fuel from alcohol blended fuel to a none alcohol blended fuel to a  premium grade octane 91 fuel and added some fuel conditioner and the problem went away .