IGNORED

My other winter project or "Bucket list fulfillment 101". A shooter named Tony!

cowpuc

@OrlinEngh started his thread about winter accomplishments and I thought about posting this there with my grandkids but thought "Tony" the Beretta (you get that? If so you are probably in geezer world too and might want to consider the whole bucket list thing too :) ) deserved his own page so here we are..

I know,, LOTS of shooters hate these things they have been around a longg time and there are other makes/models available now that accomplish the tasks of downranging ammo better BUT,, bucket list for me they are not.. The Beretta "92" has been around a longgggg time and I have ALWAYS wanted one.. Years ago, while shooting with my dad on the Police Range in Muskegon (he was a cop at the time and I was just a young Puc of maybe 6 or 7) my dad pointed out to me the importance of finding a hand gun that would come to true point of aim. "It should be an extention of your pointer finger" he would say.. Later in life I found myself going thru hundreds of shooters at swap meets (good old days) handling everything I could touch in search of that one special shooter and attempting to find a handgun like dad had taught me. I have owned MANY handguns and nothing,, not even the 29 Smith I hunted with back then, had that advantage.  Then one day I found it! I lifted a Beretta 92F off the bench at a show, turned on its laser when I pointed at the wall about 75 yards away and was SHOCKED to find its "point of aim" accuracy for me.  THE MAGIC WAS THERE!!

Sadly I went thru life,, raising a family,, chasing across America and Canada on a Yamaha Venture, riding race tracks, playing in the snow on snowmobiles,, you know the routine,, but never ever did get to have a 92F. Till now!! Introducing Tony,, my brand new Beretta 92A1!! 

WHAT A MACHINE!! 

tony1.jpeg

tony2.jpeg

tony13.jpg

tony4.jpeg

tony3.jpeg

tony6.jpg

tony5.jpg

tony10.jpg

tony7.jpg

Edited by cowpuc
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

Very nice Puc, I've never shot one of those.  I've been spending my guberment handouts wisely, came across a new Sig P365, and must say, it's smooth for it's size.

Sigp365.thumb.jpeg.49ba165f2fdfafa6fe6ee290f3951ddb.jpeg

Thanks for the compliment Spence!! Come up here this summer and we can take care of the "never have shot one" routine for you!! Yeah,, "Tony" is a bucket list treasure thats for sure.. I am having wayyyy to much fun sitting here pulling his slide and looking inside :) !! I got the Beretta 22lr conversion kit coming for him too, I am finding that Tony the 92 is sort of like owning a Harley = endless factory and after market options available to soup em up. Next step after that arrives is into the world of silencers,, another "bucket list" adVenture :) ... TONS OF FUN!! I have a volume of questions I have to get answered before I get into shooting on the quiet side though,, working on that. The Class 3 world is totally new to me BUT,, retirement does have its advantages in time management!! 

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, LOVE YOUR SIG BROTHER!! Down right gorgeous!!! That a 9mm? How goes the ammo sourcing? I just scored 1000 rounds of Winchester steel for 37 cents a round and I was THRILLED to get it!! Getting ready for spring to break could not be more fun!! 

Puc

• Like 1

@cowpuc is that a 9mm?  I’ve never liked 9’s as I’ve always found them squirrelly except my buddy has a Beretta Px4 that is solid. Never shot your new baby.  For me I’ve got a few but my go to on target most comfortable and ruined most all other grips is my PK380.  When I unholster and level I always think “why can’t they all be like this?”   I might “Accidentally” buy the wrong ammo if I know what tool I’d like to use it in.

147F9A97-9AD3-4832-B920-062A4AFDE94B.jpeg

78CB6474-73C8-4EF4-AC27-AB5F4F1DAE41.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

@cowpuc is that a 9mm?  I’ve never liked 9’s as I’ve always found them squirrelly except my buddy has a Beretta Px4 that is solid. Never shot your new baby.  For me I’ve got a few but my go to on target most comfortable and ruined most all other grips is my PK380.  When I unholster and level I always think “why can’t they all be like this?”   I might “Accidentally” buy the wrong ammo if I know what tool I’d like to use it in.

147F9A97-9AD3-4832-B920-062A4AFDE94B.jpeg

78CB6474-73C8-4EF4-AC27-AB5F4F1DAE41.jpeg

Indeed Pasta,, "Tony" is a 9mm.. Oddly enough, of alllll the shooters I have owned thru the years he is my first 9mm.. I am anxious to find out whether Tony is an accurate tiger or a scatter gun, we shall see.. Seems like a good solid piece though with decent machining throughout.. BEAUTIFUL WALTHER THERE BROTHER - JUST GORGEOUS!! See it has the slide mounted decocker/safety?? The Beretta 92's do too.. How do you like it? I ask cause I have heard many times over that many shooters dont care for the slide mounts,, you ever hear that? I get it too cause I have been a 1911 shooter for years and can see where the slide mounted is out of place for many.. On the other hand though,  because of the loss of feelings in my hands (and strength) from Dupentrens that I actually LOVE the slide mount because I can work the action like I do on my Ruger MK1. I just grab the decocker between my fingers and rack it,, PERFECT!!  I have watched vids many times of people using the indentations on the front of the slide to work the action (looks very user friendly) but I am not one to like having my fingers anywhere around the muzzle of my loaded shooters... Kinda funny aint it,,, 100's of thousands of endless miles with no helmet :) but scared to fool around on that end of a shooter :) 

Nope,, Tony is still unfired and brand new at this point.. Soon though,, very very soon!!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

@cowpuc I’ve honestly never given the slide mount any thought, It’s just right there and works.  Also the action is perfectly broken in that when a new mag is loaded it chambers and closes without the need of the slide release. The thing to get used to with the Walther is the paddle trigger guard mag release.  It can be cumbersome. But I only carry for personal defense so I don’t carry extra mags anyway.

for what you mention about the 1911 and additional action features / grip points this is my other carry. She has many ways to rack, but being a 45 also brings a much heavier spring.  Since you made me pull them out and compare I think the thumb action of the safety and mag release on the 1911 is far superior to the Walther design.  But again for self defense and not carrying an extra mag I love both.

C8B65A66-466B-4862-88F9-51EA49EEA835.jpeg

9D775A51-438A-4416-95C6-01D16C4FFC86.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OrlinEngh said:

I like it Puc, and all of the others, I have had a few but gave up, Figured that if I could throw one and hit the target better than shooting one, I should just stay with the long guns.

Kind of like the ol Tom Selleck in that movie Quigley = "said I never had much use for em, never said I didnt know how to use one" routine LOL.. Thanks for the compliment brother!! Swing by and touch off a few sometime!! Bring that Shrek along with you and fill up another truck load of old Venture parts while your here!!!!! 

Love ya!

Puc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pasta Burner said:

@cowpuc I’ve honestly never given the slide mount any thought, It’s just right there and works.  Also the action is perfectly broken in that when a new mag is loaded it chambers and closes without the need of the slide release. The thing to get used to with the Walther is the paddle trigger guard mag release.  It can be cumbersome. But I only carry for personal defense so I don’t carry extra mags anyway.

for what you mention about the 1911 and additional action features / grip points this is my other carry. She has many ways to rack, but being a 45 also brings a much heavier spring.  Since you made me pull them out and compare I think the thumb action of the safety and mag release on the 1911 is far superior to the Walther design.  But again for self defense and not carrying an extra mag I love both.

C8B65A66-466B-4862-88F9-51EA49EEA835.jpeg

9D775A51-438A-4416-95C6-01D16C4FFC86.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL!!! Lead tossing machine right there for sure!! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cowpuc said:

That a 9mm? How goes the ammo sourcing? I just scored 1000 rounds of Winchester steel for 37 cents a round and I was THRILLED to get it!!

Yes, 9mm Sig, 10 round clips.  Ammo, can find basic brass range ammo local, had to order Federal tactical online.  If we drag our camper to MI this summer, I'll look you up.  

• Like 1

Good looking peace there Puc. I thought about you while surfing Gun Broker the other night. I landed a nice one yesterday and I think I will sling a lot of lead with it. I plan on killing a slew of those old clay birds with it. It is in the mail as of today so I can try it out soon. It is a Weatherby Orion 1 O/U  3" chamber 26" barrel (Very purdy wood on this one). I will post pics when it comes in.

• Like 2

Nice pistols!  I have a number of 9mm's but no .45's yet.  I work at the local range as an RSO and one of the perks is being able to drool over other peoples' guns.  Today, however......all the idiots were out in force.  Ground shots galore, the extremely inexperienced trying to teach those with zero experience, guys who just bought their first AR-15 and didn't know how to lock the bolt back.....and when I showed them how a live round came out of the chamber of a gun that was supposedly unloaded......most stressful day I have ever had as an RSO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, slowrollwv said:

Good looking peace there Puc. I thought about you while surfing Gun Broker the other night. I landed a nice one yesterday and I think I will sling a lot of lead with it. I plan on killing a slew of those old clay birds with it. It is in the mail as of today so I can try it out soon. It is a Weatherby Orion 1 O/U  3" chamber 26" barrel (Very purdy wood on this one). I will post pics when it comes in.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can not wait to see some pics @slowrollwv, sounds like a GORGEOUS shooter!! 

2 hours ago, MonsterBiker said:

Nice pistols!  I have a number of 9mm's but no .45's yet.  I work at the local range as an RSO and one of the perks is being able to drool over other peoples' guns.  Today, however......all the idiots were out in force.  Ground shots galore, the extremely inexperienced trying to teach those with zero experience, guys who just bought their first AR-15 and didn't know how to lock the bolt back.....and when I showed them how a live round came out of the chamber of a gun that was supposedly unloaded......most stressful day I have ever had as an RSO.

Yeppers,, we are living in some CRAZY times @MonsterBiker,, that for sure..  I read something a while back that was staggering, I read there were over 8 million new gun owners here in the States. Kind of reminded me somewhat, albeit on a much larger scale, of Bow Hunting years ago.  When I got into it the Compound had not been introduced and a person pretty much had the deer woods to themselves. Then, a few years after Allen came out with the Speedster owning a bow and hunting deer with them took off.  A few years after that though, after many who had jump into the sport and found out there was/is a LOT more to being successful at hunting deer with a bow than a newbie just grabbing a new bow and heading out, all of a sudden compound bows became almost worthless as people exited the hobby. I hunted with a bow for many many years after that using equipment I had picked up DIRT CHEAT (I did one buy out that included Bow/Aluminum Arrows/2 Baker Board tree stands and entire camo outfit for $100). I seriously wonder if sometime in the near future the same thing wont happen to the shooter market..  Seriously Monst,, working with those folks as a Super on a gun range = keep your head down!!

Edited by cowpuc
  • Like 1

I'm a little late to the party!

I have to say, I have a little hate hate thing going on for Mr. Blake.

Uncle Sam took my beloved 1911 from me and replaced with that abomination back in 1986.

It's an extremely accurate, reliable pistol. It's jut not a Browning. I know, that is a ridiculous argument, but it is still TRUTH in my mind.

Funny thing is, my two favorite pistols right now are both 9mm and neither is a Browning design. They are both from Walther. The PPS, single stack sub compact and the PPX.

Even more funny, I've never actually shot JMB's ultimate creation, the Wunder 9, though I've handle quite a few. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, luvmy40 said:

I'm a little late to the party!

I have to say, I have a little hate hate thing going on for Mr. Blake.

Uncle Sam took my beloved 1911 from me and replaced with that abomination back in 1986.

It's an extremely accurate, reliable pistol. It's jut not a Browning. I know, that is a ridiculous argument, but it is still TRUTH in my mind.

Funny thing is, my two favorite pistols right now are both 9mm and neither is a Browning design. They are both from Walther. The PPS, single stack sub compact and the PPX.

Even more funny, I've never actually shot JMB's ultimate creation, the Wunder 9, though I've handle quite a few. 

#1 Rich,, and actually most important of all IMHO = THANK YOU for your service my brother!! @luvmy40,, I was never in the service but only imagine the complete mass chaos when Uncle Sam did that.. The two side arms could not be any more different. My mind goes in hyperspeed as it contemplates 100's of thousands of America's finest trying to relearn memory motor skills of just operating the controls.. Sort of like when HD switched the Sporty over from right side shift to left side shift = a total disastor waiting to happen.. I know that is probably only a small part of what you are referring to but in my minds eye I see that as a big one, especially for those - like you, whose very life depended on those skills developed on the 1911.

Speaking of Browning,, THE MASTER OF ALL GUNNERY,, I read another article in one of my shooter magazines recently about him.. Back in WW1 Mr. Browning came up with a design that REALLY caused some issues for those who hated our way of life.. In 1918, shortly before the war ended, Germany sent a letter to our Gov DEMANDING this particular gun (wont tell you whether I speak of handgun or rifle - gotta guess it!!) be withdrawn from the battle field because of its devestation destructive power - especially in the trenches and stated that "if it is not removed, ANY American soldiers caught with one would be executed upon surrender.  Now with out googling, or pulling a fast one on ol Puc,, can you (or anyone else) GUESS what shooter I am referring to? NO - it is NOT the 1911! 

Puc

If you’re ever out in Salt Lake aside from the obvious visit to me you should check out the Browning Museum in Ogden about 40 min north of SLC.  They have many pieces there that are original prototypes and first run I don’t recall the exact BAR on display if it’s an original or not but they do have the first 1911.

https://www.ogdencity.com/1333/Browning-at-its-Core-Ongoing