IGNORED

High miles

Thee_oddball

At 62,000 it's barely broken in. At best it may need its 1st valve set if not already done. These 1300 engines are high millage reliable engines and tend to give very little trouble. Many have gone beyond 150.000 and some have even surpassed 200,000. the bike itself may need some  regular maintenance such as changing all fluids and checking tire and brake condition. How much depends on the TLC given by previous owner..

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thee_oddball said:

Thank you for the response I currently own a vtx 1300 Honda which also has the same reputation for longevity.

You mentioned valves are you talking about a valve adjustment?

Yes, valve adjustment. These are shim over bucket top ends. skydoc_17 has a shim kit that he loans out if you buy your gaskets from him. Earl is a stand up guy and one of the most helpful and friendly people I have the good fortune of knowing. In fact, most of this motley crew will go out of their way to help another Venture Rider or anyone else for that matter.

I can tell you that my '06 RSV was in darn near show room condition when I bought her from another member. The clock was right around 98K mi and I have put another 5k on her with zero trouble. According to the PO, the valves have never been adjusted. I will be checking them soon.

• Like 1

I second @luvmy40’s recommendation. If you’re gonna do the valves print off the instructions in the read only library here and contact Skydoc. His kit has the tools and shims to get the job done quickly. Plenty of help and advice available here, it’s not a real hard job if you’re handy with tools and follow the directions. 

• Like 1

I had 60,000 on my 89 when I bought it in 2006 and now have 160,000 on it Have not touched the valve set  so it is overdue but the bike runs like a charm. Problem is being a mechanic and working on trucks all day I tend to procrastinate when it comes to my own vehicles and yet the bike has forgiven me and remained reliable despite my  neglect. That is not to say i don't keep my brakes, tires  and other safety items in peak condition. just don't fuss over the engine as much as I should. I toss a four season  cover on the bike when winter hits, it sits out side all year. Add seafoam to the fuel tank and fill it to the top to reduce condensation build up, plug in the battery tender and fire it up in the spring and off I go. Like I said the bike is quite hardy and forgiving. This is not to say that because I am a bad boy that everyone else should be. Obviously it is always better to give your bike the TLC it deserves. I only mention this to show how good of a machine these bikes are.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...