IGNORED

Shifter rod linkage

I’m posting some pictures and maybe someone can tell me what I’m looking at and how big a job is it to fix. So when I purchased the bike the previous owner said he had rigged the linkage one day after going for a ride it had stopped shifting. He used a zip tie from what I can tell. So did it loose a screw or what actually holds it in place I can’t tell from looking, but it doesn’t look like I would trust it for long. So I’m gonna post these pics and say it’s at the end of a long rod connected to the shifter linkage in between the frame and exhaust.

AB912CF3-C29F-474E-837E-7E039F902840.jpeg

FCFBF4D6-DB8A-49A9-9EE5-6EB6B7B4FB43.jpeg

30E2DBB4-F78D-46D5-9BF0-A6083972B1D4.jpeg

I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but fairly mechanical and handy, so take this with a grain of salt:

First thing I would do is cut the zip tie to see what it is doing.  Personally, I can't see how that zip tie would do anything other than hold the boot on.  I don't see how it would fix a shifting problem unless the boot was loose and interfering with movement of the linkage, in which case a new boot is in order and should be a simple, low cost fix.  Albeit not as simple and low cost as a zip tie.

Please see attached photo from the Yamaha parts website. 

shift-linkage.jpg

Edited by circa1968
spelling

I thought he said the screw had maybe vibrated out . But looking at the pic I took it looks like there’s one in there. It does look as if the boot is not in line with the linkage on the front side.  It was shifting as I rode it home that day but it doesn’t look like anything I want to leave like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some parts on the way but you just made me think about that part in the diagram number 28 I might be needing if indeed it stripped out . I’ll put it on the jack this weekend and post some pictures in case anyone else had this happen.