IGNORED

Watta u think?

I'm not enjoying my BMW R1100RS because I'm getting to be an old man (66 in April] and the lean forward ,slightly aggressive posture and arthritis makes riding this excellent bike painful after a couple of hours. I was thinking something more comfy, like a Beemer LT or wing, but saw this on the local CL. I didn't know this bike even existed so it wasn't on my radar. It's only 30 mi. away, so I'm gonna take a look. advice?

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/youngstown-89-yamaha-1300-venture/7280660020.html

thanks, I've rebuilt brake MS, but not calipers.I don't know why you'd jam on the rear brake anyway, except in an emergency, and I don't know what's wrong with the shock, but I've seen used ones on ebay for pretty cheap, or can I live with the leak? I'm ok with a wrench, but I'd rather be riding than wrenching, and I'd rather pay a little more for a bike I could just ride. This seems a reasonable price and I could probably sell the beenmer for the same price, unfortunately I don't have room for 2. I've seen used prices as low as $1500 and as high as $5000, so I really don't know if the price is good.The plastic is probably pricier than the used mechanical parts, so I'll have a better feel for the bike when I see it in person. 

Edited by eastbayandy

Be ready to invest some money into  it, there are going to be things that need to be replaced, afterall it's a 30 year old bike.

Things I would look for:

condition of the plastic, is it missing tabs, cracked, paint condition.

Bottom of the trunk will crack out on some bikes.

Paint condition.

Age of tires, sure they may only have a few miles on them, but how old are they.

Things I would plan to go over before I ride it:

Brakes, including a caliper and master rebuild.

All wiring connectors taken apart and cleaned and then coated with fluidfilm.

Check and lube the steering head.

Change oil, including the forks.

Lube all points on the swing arm and remove the rear tire for complete service.

I will be 68this year and I have the same bike. Owned it  since 2006 have put 100,000 on it and can't think of a bike I would rather own. I  can do longer hours on it than in any car. I have been out for as long as 12 hours and the only thing I felt when I got home was the urge to turn around and go again. Market wise it is priced a bit high but on the other hand I would rather over pay for one of these bikes than than get a bargain on something else. One thing I did have to do in the past couple years was add a back rest because some of my old back injuries are beginning to haunt me. You may have to do some maint. but most of it is not that difficult and this site . has some  of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on the web were these bike are concerned. Some will even come and lend a hand if your close enough. One thing you do need to be sure of is that you have enough leg length to support the bike as they are a tad tall. Swapping the seat out for one from an 85 or older will drop the seat height by about  1-1/2". The seats are interchangeable without any modifications.

I have a 30” inseam 😩 I’ve been tip toe champing and scampering since Y2K.

The question I’d ask is if the rear brake stuck before the new tires.  The ad says new tires less than 1k miles.  Reason being is there is a spacer on the rear axel that is all to commonly put back incorrectly. (I personally know this)  also just for you to note while speaking of brakes, the bike has linked brakes from factory.

Andrew,

1st gen Ventures are notorious for the rear master cylinder return orifice clogging up due to old brake fluid in the system. I have actually had the rear tire lock up due to fluid getting hot, expanding, and not be able to vent back into the master cylinder. If you decide to get it, make sure you do a complete fluid change on all the brakes.

2 hours ago, Squidley said:

Andrew,

1st gen Ventures are notorious for the rear master cylinder return orifice clogging up due to old brake fluid in the system. I have actually had the rear tire lock up due to fluid getting hot, expanding, and not be able to vent back into the master cylinder. If you decide to get it, make sure you do a complete fluid change on all the brakes.

I second this.  I know you say you’d rather be riding than wrenching but this is all general maintenance.