IGNORED

BUY A BIKE THAT DOES NOT RUN

larrydr

Ever since 1963 I have always  bought a bike that does not run .

In 1963 found a Harley 45 that the mechanic said that it cannot be repaired ..

What I found was the distributor was out 180 degrees , I rode that old Harley for 4 years  .

If you buy the ones that run good they cost too much  , and often when you buy the perfect bike you often are in for a big surprise about a month down the road , something is not right .

There nothing that feels better than if you buy the bike that the repair shop says... it is not repairable .

Then you spend some time doing the repair and it fires for the first time  .

I have found that the best thing to free up a rusted tight engine is fish oil .

• Like 3

Still need to be careful, bike may not run for a number of reasons. Some very costly and Others not so much. I once bought a bike from a guy for $25 dollars who stated it had a broken crank. Checked around found a good used engine. I never need it though because what the prev owner thought was a broken crank was a stretched primary chain which skipped while cranking the starter. I replaced the chain which cost me $15 dollars and rode that bike for 3 years.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 4

Sometimes when I find that the chassis looks decent on a bike that does not run I will look for another like for a parts bike .

I think new bikes are great but I am the kind of guy needs to fix and then ride .

That is why I bought the 83 Venture , I knew it would need plenty of work .

I had the guy at the inspection shop take a look , he says it will be okay when I am done .

I have always done this with every bike I have ever had. I love the older bikes. Especially the 80's. Got a 87vr yesterday. Bought the 83 3/10/2020 . Just basic stuff to fix it. No 2 gear. Put 4k miles and wore out the back tire. Till I blew the motor. My bad. Paid $360. Was told to buy it from @cowpucback then. Fixed it with y'all's help @saddlebum @larrydr @cowpuc. And everyone else on here . Thank you all for the help. Got a new one work on. Going to start a post on it now. Have not really looked it over. Just rode it home. In the cold freezing rain 🌧️. With no gear. That's how bad I wanted other Venture.