IGNORED

FUEL MILEAGE OF A XVZ12TDK

larrydr

I am new to the Venture and have seen reports of fuel mileage of XVZ12TDK  ..None of the reports agree with each other ... I am hearing reports of 20 miles per gallon and some at  30 - to 40 miles per gallon ....I hope that the 40 miles per gallon is closer ...I just sold my 48 miles per gallon bike ....If it is a 20 miles per gallon bike then I am afraid the the Venture will have to go down the road with out me.

A Venture at 20mpg has problems. As far as low 30s to 40s can be a fair average depending on how it’s ridden. Keep the rpms up around 4K and ride it like a touring bike for the best numbers,  ride it like a sport bike (yes it’s capable) or two up at 90mph and those numbers will fall quickly. 

We just got back from a 850 mile run with my 2007 chev 3.5 Litre V6   engine Impala and I have been getting at least 38 - 40 miles per gallon ( running on premium gasoline ) out on the highway at 65 - 68 miles per hour with a full car ..Used a total of 20 gallons of gasoline on the whole trip ....

Assuming your ignition system is in good shape, your air filter in good condition and your engine compression is good, your likely looking at carb issues. If you never need to use the choke even on cooler days to start your bike, it is most likely running rich, you can also check the color of your plugs. remove your diaphragms and check the needles and seats as well as for proper needle settings.  Enrichment valves stuck open is a common problem for this, You may also want to check your choke cable adjustment, or  the  float level is too high. Before pulling your carb apart to OH it and if the choke cable adjustment appears to be OK, I would check those enrichment valves they can be removed and freed up without pulling your carbs apart. Check and set your float levels, 0n the carbs (easier done with the carbs off the bike and sitting on a flat level surface). There are different ways of doing this much easier than indicated in the manual and you will find various favorite techniques in the tech section that work very well.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

I had this question last year about my 87 and if I remember right I’m averaging around 24mpg but I had a lot of other stuff going on so it wasn’t a primary concern.  I’ve also read in this forum somewhere that these engines run so well that many don’t even realize they have a dead cylinder.  Having no comparison how do you check?  I know how to test spark, and have heard of compression test but have never done one.  Didn’t come up with any great results doing a search.

1 hour ago, RDawson said:

Fire it up from cold and check all 4 exhaust pipes coming out of the heads. A dead cylinder will have a cold pipe. 

That is the best way. Also even though they run quite well on three cylinders you will feel it bog a bit on a hill pull or a sudden full roll on of the throttle like in passing.

• Thanks 1

My 83 averages 40-42 mpg every tank, that includes a bit of hot-rodding too. I count on it, my gas gauge quit being reliable a couple years ago, I judge by odometer, never to stretch it past 200 miles usually getting gas at 150. If you are only getting 20 ish, I would start with plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, the basics.  Good luck.

I run gas thru the Victory so frequently that it never sits in there long enough to crud stuff up. The mower, now thats a different story. My Murphy (wal mart) started selling the non-ethanol stuff a few months back. I discovered it when I pulled up and the pump was blue I think. Then when I looked at the price, I left that pump. I had a 36 gallon tank to fill so thats a no go.

I use Seafoam on anything that sits.

I put 4 cans of it in the motorhome when I put it away for the Winter.

I've an 87 Venture Standard that was last licensed in 2014, and I put a very heavy dose of Seafoam in it because I knew it wasn't likely to be used soon.   I had pretty much dedicated myself to my 06 Venture, but still loved the 87 and couldn't let it go.

I store these bikes in my pump shed, so they're out of the weather, and kept above freezing.   Just for the heck of it, I tried to start the 87, and, believe it or not...she fired right up.   

As soon as I'm done bringing the old Nighthawk back, .... (and the snow melts enough to get the 87 the 300' to the work shed).....The 87 Venture is next on the list for a good going over.   I think I'll try to put a few miles on her this year.    

Now lemme get that Nighthawk finished up.

Nighthawk in garage.jpg

• Like 2

Unc,

Those Night Hawks were great little power houses! I had the Silver Hawk a while back. Not as cool looking but still a snappy little ride.

BTW, My dislexia still makes me see Uncle Jedi when I see your tag!

Now, back on topic;

My '83 never got great MPG. I could coax 32 MPG if I road very carefully, but I averaged 29 MPG. She pulled like a V-Max and was happiest at 100 mph. I know the carbs and ignition were good as they were all new or rebuilt. My '86 averages around 38 MPG and my '06 got 39 and 42 MPG the two times I checked.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1

adding to all the great advice above,  a couple of my MK1's developed gas guzzling tendencies that took them wellll below their customary +40 mpg and I was only able to get them back on course by dropping the carb slide main jet needles down.  The last time I had to it it took almost 1mm of shim before my mpg's returned.   I have a hunch that over time the emulsion tubes will wear/oblong enough to allow excess fuel into the carb circuitry..  Dropping those needles cured it.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I brought back to life enough older bikes that did not run that one more would just be another  bike . This my 83 Venture  ..What I am finding is that just about the time when think you are done one to do repair shows up .

Sept 6 003.JPG