IGNORED

What is going on?????

RDawson

13 hours ago, ragtop69gs said:

Playing in the snow got as old as I did. Was fun when we had snowmobiles, sold them so we now have no use for snow.

Never had much use for noisy snowmobiles, preferring the quiet and serenity of riding my horse through the woods instead.

Winnipeg Global  news this morning reported there were total of 641 frozen Vent pipes , so far 351 were in the last 3 days ....This Vent pipe lets the drain in your house work ,Toilet , bathtub , sink etc.  .  ..The wind chill temperature hit minus 41 degrees...

Edited by larrydr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, larrydr said:

Winnipeg Global  news this morning reported there were total of 641 frozen Vent pipes , so far 351 were in the last 3 days ....This Vent pipe lets the drain in your house work ,Toilet , bathtub , sink etc.  .  ..The wind chill temperature hit minus 41 degrees...

Eeeeeww with them plugged up draining water will suck the P-traps dry and then there is no stopping those aromatic sewer gasses from entering you house.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:45 PM, saddlebum said:

You don't know what you missed. Those were the days when winter as kid was fun. We  built forts caves tunnels you name it. Didn't have to drive for miles to get out for a bit of snowshoeing or cross country skiing. We could build ice rinks that lasted from through to almost April. Yup you don't what you missed!:snow2:

Yep I remember those days, snow banks 6' high easy, and lots of forts, had to dig the driveway out on almost a daily basis so the milk truck could get in, skated on the field all winter long, tobogganing already in November, cold enough that the only vehicle that would start was the VW, no heat in the bedrooms but lots of frost on the blankets and ceilings,,,, yep, that was southern Ontario back in the 50, 60's.

We got THIS one! 

Anybody else live in Montreal in Spring of '70??? Storm of The Century.

We remember opening Blinds in Kid's 2nd floor bedroom, and a DOG OUTSIDE WAS  LOOKING IN THE WINDOW!!!! 

Opened Front Door:  packed-snow-covered top-to-bottom.

Our 4'10" secretary - sent her home early on Day One - stepped off commuter train at  Beaconsfield, and completely disappeared - head to toes - in a snowbank. Fortunately two other folks saw her go in.

Friends came for Dinner that night - his Birthday Wed. Mar 3rd. They went to leave at 10 pm - couldn't see Car! Finally got home on Saturday. Fortunately we had a grocery store at end of block, staff trapped for the duration. We grabbed their last Turkey on Day Two, and gained ten lbs by Saturday when Friends finally left.

Paperboy delivered the Paper on Day Two! Kid deserved the Medal of Honour.

Those weren't The Days.

Rgds,  WRIDR

Y’all keep those thoughts up there. We have very few plow trucks and salt spreaders here so it doesn’t take much snow/ice to paralyze the area. Nobody has snow blowers here, farmers and a few of us with tractors clear our back roads. We rarely get a dry snow, the first two or three trucks going down a wet snowy road compress it into an ice sheet. No snow tires or chains here. Google the 2009 KY ice storm and you’ll see what  two inches of ice can do overnight here. Some were without power 6-8 weeks, ours was 9-10 days. Luckily I have generators that got us thru it. Our town of 20,000 was completely cut off. No groceries or gas for a few days, a water main break left most without running water for a few days, we lost 3 buildings to fire because our hydrants were dry. We’re just not equipped to deal with it because it rarely happens here. Now they’re calling for 8-10” of dry snow Monday, should be fun dealing with that. Us old farts with 4 wheel drive trucks don’t miss a beat but everything else is so bad it’s comical. 

• Like 1

Well up here in canada this morning its a balmy 27.5 below Fahrenheit or -42 with the wind chill. Cold enough that the stock coolant in one of our snowmachines gelled enough to take out the impeller on the water pump earlier this week.  When the kids complain about the cold they get to go out and split fire wood and we all come back in with streamers of frost and ice hanging off our scarves and cheeks and noses as red as apples. We've had five batteries die in the last week and i had to actually look at the manual to find the one our traverse. Who designs a vehicle with a battery located between the passenger seats?  Anyway enough of my ranting, Happy Valentine's Day folks!

• Like 1

Just do what we do in Buffalo...Put a sweater over your shorts and fire up the grill... The snow will melt by May !!!!  Lake Erie finally is at 32 degrees as of yesterday...The snow machine if shut off as long as it stays frozen.. Ice fishing time.....lol

I’ve only seen the Tennessee River/KY Lake freeze enough to go out on it once. I was a kid and dad took us to see it but didn’t let us on it. No ice fishing here, not to mention I’m not into that whole freezing thing while fishing. I took my boat in last week for service, he promised I’d have it back in two days. I responded that I didn’t care if it was two weeks, should be back in the 50s by then. 

3* tonight, last night was 10* with -8 windchill and a house fire for a bonus. Every time we stopped moving our gear froze stiff. I’m 36 hrs thru a 48 hr shift hoping it’s not a repeat tonight. I’m telling you it’s time to come get your weather. Snow, ice, freezing temps do not belong down here. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RDawson said:

3* tonight, last night was 10* with -8 windchill and a house fire for a bonus. Every time we stopped moving our gear froze stiff. I’m 36 hrs thru a 48 hr shift hoping it’s not a repeat tonight. I’m telling you it’s time to come get your weather. Snow, ice, freezing temps do not belong down here. 

That's all just so you can be aware of how life is lived elsewhere. Getting your leftovers tonight.

9 hours ago, Marcarl said:

That's all just so you can be aware of how life is lived elsewhere. Getting your leftovers tonight.

I am aware Carl, that’s why I live down here 🤣🤣. There’s a possibility we may retire farther south to get away from more of it. All this slipping and sliding and I don’t bounce back up like I used to. 

• Like 2

I thought about putting something pretty solid in line with the mailbox.     I've a length of 3" pipe....How about taking a post hole digger and going down a couple of feet, then concreting in a length of pipe with a threaded nipple at ground level.....then, when I know snow is coming, thread a ? 6' ? length of pipe into the nipple and wait for the "CLANG".....I could paint it like a barber pole to make it hi-vis, but my concern is that if he damages the plow / truck when he hits it,....I'm gonna be payin'....

I've done stuff like that before...if we ever meet...ask me about the pumpkin boobytrap....Hilarious.

ps:   Just looked at the diagram for the swing away mailbox.   Looks super easy to build....I'll put it on my list for when the weather breaks....or maybe for this Summer...but by next Winter this issue will be addressed..

I'll post pics.

Edited by uncledj

Just a little light at the end of the tunnel.  We reached low 40's today and snow melting occurred everywhere, but it is short lived.  We will be down in the low 20's again and mother winter is still very much around.  I know it is not as bad as Canada, but on any day that a ride is not possible is deemed a sad day for me.  

Below 0 last night, below 32 for several days. Saturday will be 37* first day above freezing for over a week, next Saturday forecast is 60*. And that folks is how KY weather works. I lost a firefighter to a broken ankle Sunday night, slipped on ice fighting fire in 2*weather, next week it’ll be warm enough to ride and fish. 

• Like 1