IGNORED

83 venture no spark

I just bought an 83 venture 1200 project bike and when I put the battery from my cbr 600 in it a have good spark but not enough power to get it started 

I purchased a brand new battery but when I installed it no spark and the same problem when boosted with the 600 battery  

Long story short  I have spark with a slow crank but not with a fast crank 

Any thoughts????

Edited by Dan85

• Dan85 changed the title to 83 venture no spark

I would start by checking and cleaning all the connectors and wiring going to the stater, regulator and ignition module. I almost replaced my module because of no spark but when I pulled it apart I found all the terminals had turned green. I decided to clean all the connectors and terminals and the bike ran like a dream. That was 4 years or so ago and the bike has ran great ever since.  If that does not solve your issue then you will have to do a more in depth diagnoses.

As mentioned, I'd clean and examine all the starting process connections.  There is a starter solenoid up to the left of the battery as well.  Starters on the early models were 2 brush and not the best.   Many exchange them for a 4 brush unit.  I still have my original 2 brush and it works adequate.  Make sure you check and clean the ground by the starter as well.

I do not know how much or when an 83 should spark, but you mentioned you do have spark at times.  I'm just throwing this out there.  My first start in the spring with my 83, no way will it start unless I squirt a little starting fluid in the carbs.  little.  It always perks up and fires.  Never have figured out why, I think the carbs drain out, and I will have to do this anytime it has sat more than a few weeks.

4 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

I do not know how much or when an 83 should spark, but you mentioned you do have spark at times.  I'm just throwing this out there.  My first start in the spring with my 83, no way will it start unless I squirt a little starting fluid in the carbs.  little.  It always perks up and fires.  Never have figured out why, I think the carbs drain out, and I will have to do this anytime it has sat more than a few weeks.

My bike always fires up in the spring on the first crank but if you don't keep it running it is almost impossible to fire up on the second go around. Once you do keep it running it runs like crap for the first couple miles. I keep it down a gear or two and RPM's up. once it smooths out it runs like a dream and fires instantly for the rest of the season. Its like a spring ritual. Any type of stabalizer seems to make no difference.

I fired both girls up a few weeks ago just for shits and giggles when I was doing other randomness in the garage.  It was a nice day so opened the doors and let me breathe.  I was mostly curious to see if my new found use of harbor freight battery tenders was doing what they should.  The venture didn’t have any more trouble than a normal cold morning, I gotta adjust the choke lever or maybe just lube it.  Damn All this bike talk makes me wanna go for a ride!

On 2/6/2021 at 7:34 AM, Pasta Burner said:

Are you using a spark tester? Just wondering how you are measuring your spark.

Yes I am 

When the new battery is installed by itself no spark  but when the weaker battery is installed perfect spark  just slow crank tho