I recently purchased an Electrical Connection's sub harness, isolator and lighting distribution block for my 2018 Yamaha Star Venture. 

The reason I purchased this was to install an under glow kit with brake and turn signal functionality. 
For the turn signal feature of the under glow kit the lights turn amber and blink (only the side that corresponds with the turn signal the other side turns off). 
For the brake feature of the under glow kit all lights turn to red when the brake is applied, once the brake is released the color reverts back to the selected color.

I have followed the installation instructions for the sub harness, isolator, and lighting distribution block. 
Once that was installed I connected the under glow kit using the "accessory light wiring" section of the lighting distribution block installation instructions.

The initial results are as follows:

When the bike is off the color of the under glow kit is green, which is the selected color.
When the bike is turned on the color of the under glow kit immediately turns red, as if the brake has been applied. Also the turn signal feature does not work at all.

In trouble shooting, without the help of a multimeter or test light, I have found the following:
If I disconnect the blue brake wire on the under glow kit from the lighting distribution block then when the bike is turned on the color of the under glow kit stays green until the turn signal feature is engaged at that point it works as desired. 
The lights turn amber and blink (only the side that corresponds with the turn signal the other side turns off). 
Once the turn signal is disengaged then the color reverts back to green.

To make sure the blue brake wire of the under glow kit was not the issue, I hooked it into the left signal side of the lighting distribution block.
This was the result:
When the bike is off the color of the under glow kit is green, which is the selected color.
When the bike is turned on the color of the under glow kit stays green until the turn left turn signal signal feature is engaged at that point it works like this The left side lights turn red and blink. Once the turn signal is disengaged then the color reverts back to green. This tells me that the blue brake wire to the under glow kit is fine.

My thought is that the lighting Distribution block has constant power coming in on the blue brake wire. Following that line of thought I am wondering if the front brake switch, which I received a recall notice on is truly faulty and causing this.

I am awaiting a multimeter to get more detailed data.

I would like your thoughts on this, any assistance would be appreciated.

I have an underglow light kit that has that ability as well . . . where did you find the wires for the turn and brake . . . I know it shows in the manual but I'm not following, I'm not good at reading wiring schematics . . . if I know what I'm looking for on the bike itself I'm good.  

Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram so we can tell what it is supposed to be?

It sure sounds like the brake wire you picked is not the correct one.

On the 1st gen (MK1 and MK2) and 2nd gen Ventures the blue wire is the tail lights and the brake wire is yellow. I have not seen a wire diagram for the 3rd gen.

If you are connecting the brake wire to the tail light circuit you would get what you describe.

Edited by Flyinfool

Update:

While attempting to get some readings with the multimeter, the signal fuse popped. That was fun tracking down but I found which fuse it was and replaced it.

Since everything  on the under glow kit works great (except for the brake feature), I have decided to for go the brake function for now. Once the faulty brake switch is replaced, I will revisit this.

I would say if I'm following this correct, you are getting power to the "brake" side of light all the time. So I'm with flyinfool. So if you have a recall on the front brake switch, what if you disconnect it and see what you get. Also most CAN buss systems are "ground switched". Meaning the controller connects the ground when it is turning on the circuit. Good luck.

• 5 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 9:47 AM, SKRAW_STAR443 said:

Update:

While attempting to get some readings with the multimeter, the signal fuse popped. That was fun tracking down but I found which fuse it was and replaced it.

Since everything  on the under glow kit works great (except for the brake feature), I have decided to for go the brake function for now. Once the faulty brake switch is replaced, I will revisit this.

Did you ever get the brake wire issue figured out?  I have used the wire splices and found the brake wire coming from my trunk and was able to splice into it just fine and my turn and brake lights work fine.  Just thought I would follow up with you.