IGNORED

XVZ12TDK CLUTCH

larrydr

WHEN i BOUGHT THE 83 I knew that it would a bunch of work ..Which is fine ..but OIL  OIL OIL  ...I drained the oil to repair the clutch basket , new bushings .

I have been  running Castrol 20  -  50 in many a bike with wet a clutch ...After assembly changed the oil to Castrol 20  -- 50  ...Only to find the clutch does not want release as it did before ..Previous owner was running s synthetic 10- 30 .....Anyone else running synthetic ....I have been buying the Castrol diesel semi- 15-40 blend oil for years ..to run in everything that runs on my yard ..  What is the best oil for the 83 XVZ12TDK

Edited by larrydr

As long as it's not an energy conserving oil, synthetic or conventional. I run 10w30 Mobil one in my RSV. I have run the Shell Rotella in several Ventures I've owned. 20w50 is a little heavy imo in any Venture. I do a 10w30 in the colder months and 10w40 in the Texas summer.

I drove up the lift and all was fine , except for the dirty oil ..I changed the oil and ran the engine till it was warmed till the temp gauge up all the way . The clutch was fine in all respects.

Turned engine off , waited till the next day and started it up , and that the clutch would not release enough to put it into gear ....This makes no sense , I serviced engines anything from Deisel to big hotrods .....What don't understand is how an oil change can do this.

Edited by larrydr

1 hour ago, larrydr said:

I drove up the lift and all was fine , except for the dirty oil ..I changed the oil and ran the engine till it was warmed till the temp gauge up all the way . The clutch was fine in all respects.

Turned engine off , waited till the next day and started it up , and that the clutch would not release enough to put it into gear ....This makes no sense , I serviced engines anything from Deisel to big hotrods .....What don't understand is how an oil change can do this.

When you put the clutch back together did you check to make sure the little ball #22 at the end of the push rod was still in place in case it fell out?

Did you put the disc's back in in their proper positions ? the first disc to go in #7 in the diagram only has a partial friction face and is combined with a spacer, if you mixed this one up with one of the other disc's the overall pack becomes too thick and you have no release clearance. when this disc.  is replaced with a full disc like some of us have done those spacer shims #5&6 and the wire retainer #4 are left out for this very reason.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042469f8700209bc787dfa/clutch

Edited by saddlebum

I know the ball was back in place . The oil I used was Castrol    SAE 20 - 50 ...Just checked the specs on the back of the battle and I did not see specs for use on a wet clutch ....

I may switch to  Lucas oil.....If it does not work in a couple of days ,  I will pull the clutch again ...The travel of the clutch plate  is 5/16  of an inch when I pull the clutch lever ...

I have a spare clutch basket and  plates on hand . I have back wheel off and am trying to find a seal , no numbers on it so my normal part suppliers I use for my industrial  parts cannot find me one .

I will call Yamaha in Winnipeg tomorrow .

As long as you didn't bleed the clutch and just messed with the basket there shouldn't be a problem with the clutch disengaging...   Valvoline makes a wet clutch oil in 10-30 and 20-50.  I ran 10-30 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer in my '83VR without a problem.  On occasion I might have used Castrol 20-50 which is my oil of choice for all my rolling stock. 

When you mentioned that everything was OK when you tucked her in for the night and in the morning the clutch wouldn't work makes me think that any air in the lines worked it's way back up to the master and the hydralics when fubar....??

• Like 1