IGNORED

Engine Oil

Idrys

1 hour ago, cowpuc said:

Isnt that strange,, here in our area it was ALWAYS Pennzoil that created the sludge in the old days.. Quaker was ALWAYS the go to oil around here.. I cant tell you how many Chevy 283's ended up in my possession because of Pennzoil usage.. Cams lobes ran right off them..  On another note, I think it may be Honda Line oil that is crystal clear if memory serves me right.. I use to have a neighbor who worked for an oil distributer who also kept my oil supplied for free via damaged product from their warehouse and I had a bunch of bike oil that was clear as water.. I actually saved the stuff and ran it in my own bikes cause I always liked being able to see when the oil was dirty at a glance... 

That is strange. But true for me at well. My old dodge van with a 318 was running poorly with only about 160k miles on her. Took in to shop. But asked me about oil. I said only Pennzoil. He smiled and said you know the base on that oil is wax (parafin)? Uh no. He pulled the heads... Really gunked up. No more Pennzoil for this kid....

On 4/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Pasta Burner said:

I posted in the tech forum but may as well ask here too cause it’s relevant and not bike specific.  The filter cover bolt is stripped and using vice grips I started to damage the cover fins.  Any tips?  

898A64FF-FBFA-4A45-B475-230AAB208A7C.jpeg

Take it with any means possible , then find a regular nut that you fit over it and then weld the nut as a permanent fitment ..You put it  into a metal lathe to fit a smaller size nut ..It really does not matter what size it as long as you have a wrench or socket to your new size 

10 hours ago, videoarizona said:

That is strange. But true for me at well. My old dodge van with a 318 was running poorly with only about 160k miles on her. Took in to shop. But asked me about oil. I said only Pennzoil. He smiled and said you know the base on that oil is wax (parafin)? Uh no. He pulled the heads... Really gunked up. No more Pennzoil for this kid....

Actually it makes sense that Pennzoil and Quaker state share the same issues , since Pennzoil and Quaker are basically the same oil produced by the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company.

It would be specially bad for the 318 because they were notorious for for the drain holes at the back of the heads plugging up and an oil like Pennzoil or Quaker State would worsen that issue.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have been reading though Pennzoil is now one of the best oils on the market.  Their regular oil is one of the best in the Noack volatility test and their synthetic is made from natural gas.  

I have been using Castrol in my XV1100 Virago  for years and all seem to be well .  When I bought the old 83 Venture XVZ12TDK the former owner had been running the automotive grade Synthetic 5/30 ..  after I changed to Castrol 10/40 and I noticed the Clutch did not want to release ...I flushed the clutch system but still no change , seemed odd because after running the  Castrol for at least 5 years ...I switched to Lucas 10/40 and so far the clutch seems to be working ..

7 hours ago, larrydr said:

I have been using Castrol in my XV1100 Virago  for years and all seem to be well .  When I bought the old 83 Venture XVZ12TDK the former owner had been running the automotive grade Synthetic 5/30 ..  after I changed to Castrol 10/40 and I noticed the Clutch did not want to release ...I flushed the clutch system but still no change , seemed odd because after running the  Castrol for at least 5 years ...I switched to Lucas 10/40 and so far the clutch seems to be working ..

When using automotive oils you need to be aware of what additives may be added to the oil. Some of these are not clutch friendly.

• Like 2