IGNORED

‘83 brake question

Hi all, been doing some research on upgrading the brake calipers and rotors on my ‘83 beast and I’m wondering if there are any aftermarket parts to do this? Was reading about R1 and R6 caliper upgrades but from what I have read that will only work on 2nd gens? Just thought I’d ask and get some idea bouncing going. The brakes work now, but the rotors do have some grooves in them and I could only find used rotors on eBay and I’d really like to replace them with new or better. Brakes are still linked and I plan on keeping them linked, just curios about the rotors and calipers.

I’ll do my best here, but I’m sure some of the experts will correct me if I’m wrong, but you can use the R6 calipers on your ‘83. You will in fact need to get 2nd Gen rotors to complete the swap.

I will add, upgrading to stainless steel brakes will make a huge improvement especially if your bike is still rocking original 1983 brake lines (Yamaha advised a service interval of 5 years....which nobody adhered to). If you’re going to upgrade your calipers and lines, that leaves you’re master cylinder seals as the next weakest link....as a matter of course, those should also be rebuilt at the same time (image the hydraulic force you’ll be able to exert on those 40 year old seals...not something I’d want to rely on in an emergency situation).

Many will also add de-linking your brakes as an upgrade, unfortunately I did not go down that path, so I’ll let them explain the advantages to that mod.

I had replaced my lines with stainless as well at the time I de-linked my brakes. I did not de-link my brakes to increase front braking,  because I could raise my rear wheel off the ground as it was and to me you do not need any more brake than that. My reason was because on a few occasions, on slippery road surfaces, I came close to having the front wheel slide out from under me because it would lock up on me, even even though I only used the rear brakes, no matter how gently I applied them. On one occasion I was coming down a steep hill with sand covered asphalt at the intersection, and after three attempts to get stopped with no luck I knew  I was going to end up either in or through the intersection,  so an a whim and prayer I rolled hard on the throttle and shot the intersection, (with my eyes closed and fingers and toes crossed). I now have better control over my bikes braking and in those situations were I only want rear brake I can have only rear brake.

Skydoc does over a de-link kit with stainless lines or you can take your old lines into a shop that is DOT certified to make brake lines and and have have them copy the lines in stainless. Make sure they are certified for this purpose do not use just any hose making shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Zach,

Hey Ben, Thanks for the mention! Saddlebum is correct I offer a kit that De-links the front and rear brakes and replaces every rubber brake and clutch line on your motorcycle with Kevlar lined, S.S. covered material. It also uses a modified VMAX front brake splitter. The MKI VR's (1983 to 1985) had the two piston front and rear calipers with the 80MM spread on the front caliper brackets. The MKII VR's had the four piston front and rear calipers with the 100MM spread on the front caliper mounting brackets. Since the early R1 and R6 Calipers all have the 100MM caliper mounting brackets, you would need to change out your front forks to the MKII forks to be able to put the R1/R6 calipers on your bike. This is a direct bolt on swap, and I have a set of forks if you are interested as well as the De-Link Kit. You can also install a four piston rear caliper on your bike if you swap out the caliper mounting bracket, I have this bracket and a freshly rebuilt 4 piston rear caliper if you are interested. If you have other questions about upgrading your brakes, please feel free to contact me at:   skydoc17@gmail.com

Good luck with your project!

Earl

• Like 3