IGNORED

Completed the Insta-Trike today

Guest CJVenture

Guest CJVenture

I finally finished wiring the trike attachment, then put the fenders on and replaced the saddlebags. I have been riding the beast around all day, and I think it's a keeper!:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

It feels really weird when cornering hard, but in all I'm really pleased... I feel a lot less tense riding it now, so I guess it was worthwhile.

I am especially proud of the two round tail lights on the trike fenders. They have 24 dual intensity red LED's for stop and tail, then an outer ring of 24 more amber LED's for signals, all in the one 2 1/4 inch light. They were expensive little dudes, but they really worked out well.:thumbsup2:

Some of y'all might notice the fiberglass yellow and red rods mounted horizontally just above the radiator. They are there temporarily to remind me that I am wider than I used to be. I believe someone on this site commented that it could be a problem since you don't SEE the extra width, and the comment was absolutely right! So two easily removed reminders were added.

Now if I can just retire as planned this spring, I will be ready to ride!

:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

Charlie

Guest scooter38

Hey, the bike looks great. Where did you get the trike extension from, I would like to know for the future when I get older, Scott.

Guest CJVenture

The Insta-Trike is made by a company called Tow-Pac. Best place to get into (and where I bought mine) is at www.cyclestuff.org. They are very helpful and good folks to do business with.

Incidentally the entire assembly can be removed in about 15 minutes... it is shown very clearly in a video on the web site.

The only negative is that no lighting or wiring is included. That wasn't a problem for me, I enjoy wiring, but I had to search quite a bit to find a tail light I thought looked good. I think I am going to enoy my Venture much more, not having to worry about all that weight and whether my arthritic legs will work when I stop, etc, etc.

I am just thankful to God that my general health is good enough that I can still ride and enjoy a sport I started over 53 years ago!:soapbox: :soapbox:

Charlie:canada: :325:

Charlie

Look good Charlie. Can you give us a source for the LED lights on the fender. Looks like they could work on a trailer. Looks like you are using a Whelen strip lite under the trunk. I've got the same one and it is great.

DT

Looks GOOD....Great Job! I put a voyager kit on my wife's Intruder and now she really enjoys riding. No more worry about holding it up. Actually, it's a fun ride and I sneak one every once in awhile. Love to lift those rear wheels

:cool10:.

CJVenture nice job there. While we all know most of the fun is leaning into curves if it means going to a three wheeler or 4 in this case to continue riding the bike I say go for it. After all your safety and others is #1. Besides you're still able to enjoy your scoot and that's what counts IMO.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Looks GOOD....Great Job! I put a voyager kit on my wife's Intruder and now she really enjoys riding. No more worry about holding it up. Actually, it's a fun ride and I sneak one every once in awhile. Love to lift those rear wheels

:cool10:.

I never saw an Intruder Trike before. I REALLY like the look.

Nice photos.

Peggy

• 1 month later...
I finally finished wiring the trike attachment, then put the fenders on and replaced the saddlebags. I have been riding the beast around all day, and I think it's a keeper!:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

It feels really weird when cornering hard, but in all I'm really pleased... I feel a lot less tense riding it now, so I guess it was worthwhile.

I am especially proud of the two round tail lights on the trike fenders. They have 24 dual intensity red LED's for stop and tail, then an outer ring of 24 more amber LED's for signals, all in the one 2 1/4 inch light. They were expensive little dudes, but they really worked out well.:thumbsup2:

Some of y'all might notice the fiberglass yellow and red rods mounted horizontally just above the radiator. They are there temporarily to remind me that I am wider than I used to be. I believe someone on this site commented that it could be a problem since you don't SEE the extra width, and the comment was absolutely right! So two easily removed reminders were added.

Now if I can just retire as planned this spring, I will be ready to ride!

:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

Charlie

I saw a black Venture trike very much like this on Saturday, 12 May on Virginia Interstate 81 heading south (around 1:00 pm). Man rider and woman passenger with stuff strapped on to the fenders of the outriggers. It started to rain and the trike exited the highway (probably to put on rainsuits). It rained like crazy for about a minute, then stopped. Remembered seeing pictures of a trike like this. Wondered if it was you.

Guest CJVenture
I saw a black Venture trike very much like this on Saturday, 12 May on Virginia Interstate 81 heading south (around 1:00 pm). Man rider and woman passenger with stuff strapped on to the fenders of the outriggers. It started to rain and the trike exited the highway (probably to put on rainsuits). It rained like crazy for about a minute, then stopped. Remembered seeing pictures of a trike like this. Wondered if it was you.

Nope, sorry, it wasn't me (I wish!!!)

I am still working full time till the end of June, then retirement (AGAIN!!!). But it's nice to know there's more than one triked 2nd gen around.

Charlie

Guest CJVenture
So can I ask some questions..?? (I'll assume yes.. tell me to go away if not)

Why did you select the Tow-Pac rather than the MTC Voyager?

What's the price difference?

Can it tow a trailer like the Voyager can?

I see you say you can remove it in 15 minutes. The Voyager is removed quickly also by removing only two bolts and unplugging the taillights harness. What do you need to do to this Tow-Pac to remove it?

It looks neat..

Ask any question you want... I am loving it more all the time.

1. I selected the Tow-Pac because (a) it was a little cheaper, (b) I thought it looked better with the "skirts" on the fenders, © I understand the Voyager reduces ground clearance a LOT. (d) I also think (not sure on this one) that the Tow-Pac is a little wider, therefore a little more stable.

If I am not mistaken the Tow-Pac was something like $600 cheaper, and in addition when I bought mine they had a special going - free shipping - which probably added another hundred or two savings.

The Tow-Pac comes with a trailer hitch standard equipment, which is really just a L-shaped piece of steel that bolts to the frame. there is no ball, but the hole is there.

With the Tow-Pac, the part that stays on the bike has a U-shaped frame that bolts to the bike frame under and behind the saddlebags and rear crash bars, and it has a 1 inch (I think) receiver just like a trailer hitch in the very back. The wheel assembly is also U-shaped, with a square piece that goes into the receiver and is secured with a pin, then just inside each wheel there are two large bolts, so it is anchored in three places.

The thing that took the most time was wiring for the tail lights, that is after I found lights that I liked. The wiring was not difficult, but there is no place on the wheel assembly to hold the wires away from the wheel, so I took some pieces of heavy copper wire about 4 inches long, mixed up some Bondex body filler and secured one end of the wire to the inside of the fender and made a hook in the other end, and I had a rust proof wire holder. I used two trailer hitch connectors, one for each side and under and to the rear of the saddlebags.

I don't know if the Voyager comes with lights and wiring or not, but if it does then that is a plus. The Tow_Pac came with some peel and stick paper reflectors that I wouldn't put on my grandson's clipper wagon.

As previously discussed, if I had my druthers I would still be on 2 wheels, but this kit has provided me with what I needed: stability at the stoplight, and probably allowed me to ride another year or two. I could probably ride a smaller bike OK, but my wife and I like to take trips, and after you have ridden a Venture nothing else will do for long tours.

Hope this helps - if not post again or email me at cjewett@nc.rr.com. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Charlie

Guest CJVenture

Nice looking ride, Spud! And as I have said, and others have said to me, if a couple extra wheels can keep you riding, then why not?

The Tow-Pac is also 60 inches wheel to wheel, with another inch or two taken up by the fenders. So I guess my stability argument doesn't hold water. Oh well...

The lights on your voyager look like the Harley "tombstone" lights. I visited the Voyager site today and saw no lights on any of their pics... so I assume they were either an optional extra or the guy you bought it from put them on. they do look good though.

I also like your trailer - larger than I would dare to pull with two wheels, but with the extra wheels trailers don't scare me near as much. I have never pulled on with a bike, and probably never will unless we start doing serious touring again.

Ride safe...

Charlie

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Jay R

Charlie and Spud,

How difficult is it to back up with either of these trike kits installed? I'm sure it is more stable but does the weight and extra 2 wheels make it harder?

Guest CJVenture

Jay,

IMHO it is MUCH easier to back up. I can use all my strength to push backwards without worry about the bike falling over. And of course if I get really desperate I can just get off and push back together with my reverse gear (wife).

Charlie

:thumbsup2:

Guest CJVenture

12 inch. And if I could have gotten 14 or 15, I would have gotten them, although I must admit after having used it for a while, the 12 inch seems perfectly adequate.

CJ

So the tow=pac is pretty easy to install yourself then?

(the MAIN Part?) Did you take pictures of the install?

I would love to see some if you have them.

I am getting pretty anxious to do this project myself.

I am already lining up a auto body shop to paint

the main frame and the fenders. I have the 2000 RSV With

the light Colors on it and do not think black will look

very good . I Just have

to figure out how to tell me wife *lol*

Jeff

-Do I notice a flat spot to add rear tail lights on those fenders?

-Are the fenders metal or fiberglass?

-Also, what type of tires come with the Unit.

-Are the chrome rims well done?

So many Questions! :detective: *lol*

Thanks,

Jeff