IGNORED

Earbuds in helmet

AGrengs

I've started wearing a helmet more than not at the request of my wife.  The music from the speakers is muted and I have to turn it way up to listen, so I'm considering earbuds or speakers in the helmet instead.  If any of you do the same, I'm looking for recommendations.  Also, it is not my intention to start a helmet vs. not discussion, just a music in the helmet query.

I’ve not been happy with any of the helmet headsets.  J&M, Yamaha is also J&M or at least used to be.  What worked best for me is regular earbuds.   The wired type are a minor pain making sure you don’t catch the wires and pull them out of an ear while putting on the helmet but you get used to it.  

I wired up my SENA SMH 10 for ear buds. I agree the speakers (for me at least) are distorted sounding. So I use to have to use custom ear monitors/buds at work with the radios we used. Very noisy environment at race tracks. So I just was used to them and using them in my helmet was an easy adjustment. Recently my high dollar custom ones one side bit the dust. So I watched a couple you tube videos on making my own from some materials for ear plugs for shooters. I currently am using what they call In Ear Monitors. Similar to ear buds but better sound, and I think they fit better under the helmet than regular ear buds. Amazon Like 20 bucks

9 hours ago, saddlebum said:

I am open to correction but it is my understanding that wearing earbuds while operating any type of motor vehicle is NOT legal as per most highway traffic acts.

I'm pretty sure it varies by state.  Some only allow one in at a time, others don't regulate at all.  Also, going over the speed limit by even 1 mph is not legal either ;)

On 1/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, Freebird said:

I’ve not been happy with any of the helmet headsets.  J&M, Yamaha is also J&M or at least used to be.  What worked best for me is regular earbuds.   The wired type are a minor pain making sure you don’t catch the wires and pull them out of an ear while putting on the helmet but you get used to it.  

I'll have to practice that putting on a helmet with earbuds a little.  Got a lotta time before I ride again (dang winter).

On 1/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, djh3 said:

I wired up my SENA SMH 10 for ear buds. I agree the speakers (for me at least) are distorted sounding. So I use to have to use custom ear monitors/buds at work with the radios we used. Very noisy environment at race tracks. So I just was used to them and using them in my helmet was an easy adjustment. Recently my high dollar custom ones one side bit the dust. So I watched a couple you tube videos on making my own from some materials for ear plugs for shooters. I currently am using what they call In Ear Monitors. Similar to ear buds but better sound, and I think they fit better under the helmet than regular ear buds. Amazon Like 20 bucks

Thanks, those look interesting.  Do you have any issues with the detachable cables while putting helmet on?  Also, do you get the ones with a mic to receive phone calls?

Edited by AGrengs

I've used Edsets for several years now.  They have a module that mounts on the side of the helmet and it has a jack to plug earbuds into.  Mine had helmet speakers to start with but I just clipped them off.  That allowed me to use earbuds as the speakers but I still had the microphone to use for intercom and CB.  Their site is www.edsets.com but the site is down.  I don't know if they are just having an issue with the site or if they have gone out of business.   

The mounts for the latest Sena bluetooth headsets have an AUX out for earbuds.  I've been playing with my new headsets with the earbuds on a 1/2 helmet since I typically wear ear plugs anyways.  

BUT the newest Sena 50 line supposedly has better quality speakers over the 20 & 30.  Also Sena also makes a helmet mount for the 20s, 30k & 50s models of intercoms that has a second INPUT so you can run either the bluetooth AND the stock bike's intercom, or both together.  I'll be picking up some of these later this year so I can swap back and forth between the two bikes.
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-UNIVERSAL-HELMET-GOLDWING-SC-A0317/dp/B07FS8B4XX/ref=pd_ybh_a_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=904G3CNHR3FGRQK4WPDT

Due to my hearing loss, I've been using noise cancellation ear buds while riding. Etymotic Research has been my go to source. They provide serious passive noise reduction and sound great to boot.

The only issue Ive found with earbuds is getting them to fit comfortably under the helmet. I've cut more than one helmet to give more room under the speaker area. BTW, I also have edsets speakers mounted. They are quite good.

For trial purposes, try and make your own earbuds and see how they feel and work for you. Check out FUZE custom molded earbuds. find them on Amazon or on their website. They have been making kits for about 10 years. Not to shabby for around $50. You mold them yourself in about 5 minutes. They even provide enough material for a test run on one ear. I like them and carry them on both bikes as backups.....decent sound isolation if you make them right.

If you need to link the ear buds to your bike headset cable, search for motorcycle headset cable adapters. 5 pin DIN to 3.5mm headset adapters are cheap.I bought a plug that allows you to also plug in the helmet speakers and has a tap for the 3.5mm stereo ear buds. Can't find it now but around $80. Any standard 5 pin DIN adapter (like Honda) works.

You can also add a bluetooth sending unit to bike and get bluetooth earbuds. I choose the cable.

Edited by videoarizona
add...

No have not had any issues with the cables coming disconnected. Here are a couple videos to watch on making the molded ones. I tried it and it was OK but just not a comfortable as my expensive ones. So I currently am just using the sicone ones that come with the monitors

So just looked at a couple kind of generic articles. Most say you cant use "any" headset for anything other than like hearing aids. LOL What about all the big rig guys they forced into a headest for CB and cell phones for "hands free". Any ways looked up the Fla law and if it dont contact your ears IE a helmet speaker is OK ear buds in both ears no go. I have been stopped for something else and when I get off and take helmet off I always make sure I "knock" one out before getting helmet off so I can say I didnt have both in. 

11 hours ago, djh3 said:

So just looked at a couple kind of generic articles. Most say you cant use "any" headset for anything other than like hearing aids. LOL What about all the big rig guys they forced into a headest for CB and cell phones for "hands free". Any ways looked up the Fla law and if it dont contact your ears IE a helmet speaker is OK ear buds in both ears no go. I have been stopped for something else and when I get off and take helmet off I always make sure I "knock" one out before getting helmet off so I can say I didnt have both in. 

I'd have to verify, but I'm pretty sure we get to use one ear only here in WI.

15 hours ago, djh3 said:

Any headsets I have seen used by truck drivers that come into our shop only cover one ear. I have not seen any used for CB radio yet as the use of CB's in Ontario by any commercial driver is still legal and does not fall within the scope of distracted driving as yet. Hope fully it never will as I see a CB as a safety device in both the ability to warn drivers of upcoming road conditions to simple having a conversation with other truckers which has proven to do more to aid drivers in staying awake on long lonely hauls than it does in distracting them from driving.

I know I am going off topic hear for a moment but I also find it ironic  that a CB is could be considered distracting hence only commercial drivers are allowed to use them while much of the touch displays in modern cars are probably 100x's more distracting. On the other hand it does free up the CB airway  a bit more for those that benefit most.

Back to the ear buds with regards to the mold your own products I have to wonder what the odds are of someone pushing the mold material to far in and causing er damage though I gues it cannot be any worse than foam ear plugs. Just wondering.

Edited by saddlebum

I guess you could push it to far in. But you would have to work at it. I took a hole punch, punched out some masking tape and put the hole over the speaker part of the IEM then put it in the material when I put it in my ears.

13 hours ago, djh3 said:

I guess you could push it to far in. But you would have to work at it. I took a hole punch, punched out some masking tape and put the hole over the speaker part of the IEM then put it in the material when I put it in my ears.

That sounds better than the way the guy in the video did it. I too thought it odd that he A) He did not protect the hole in the ear bud and B) pushed the ear bud in after putting the putty in which to me would push the putty further into the ear canal.

Edited by saddlebum

• 5 weeks later...

I use a pair of wireless Bluetooth earbuds made by Jabra. They stay in my ears well, make a good seal once I swapped out the left silicone mushroom for a different size. I've had them for about 2.5 years, and the batteries are almost gone - I also listen to them while working much of the time, so almost 3 years of daily use. I'll be replacing them this year with the newer model, which has active noise cancelling, so I suspect I'll be able to keep the volume a bit lower; Cherry's exhausts give a sustained throaty bellow at highway speed.

I also cut the tags off mattresses. Call the black helicopters!