IGNORED

My snow shoe collection'

saddlebum

So with the covid restrictions in place I have been doing my spring cleaning early. I came across my collection of snow shoes. the first ones are a small pair of antique emergency snow shoes given to me by a friend who used to be a bush pilot.

The second pair is a set of full size snow shoes given to me by a friend who used to do some winter trapping in the north country.

Now the last pair I am not quite convinced are snow shoe but according to @Marcarlwho gave them to me insists they are dutch snow shoes. Notice the color indicators on the tail ends this was apparently done so Marcarl  knew which was for the left foot and which was for the right. I have actually seen something like this before but never in pairs, Usually as a single item used by mother as a disciplinary aid. But Marcarl insists they are Dutch snow shoes so who am I to argue

35861480_20210110_182205(Small).jpg.ea498c028658acb561beb726ba7de7fb.jpg

1457593140_20210110_182241(Small).jpg.fd21f2b8cad658a01103f09b67b1c595.jpg

1113959550_20210110_182046(Small).jpg.92092a896d4ff264e1862eb3b32dd6b1.jpg

630549406_20210110_212100(Small).jpg.75599d5a82561d78c7d011ed54a4811c.jpg

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can't let that go!!!! Reason you found those is that your mother probably had to use them a time or two,,, yah you made them look fancy and all with the wooden shoes,, but really they were called 'mattekloppers', used for cleaning floor mats and such, even the old style mattresses come spring. But the most use for them was when father wasn't available and mother had to threaten with the matteklopper, and I'm sure if you search back in your memory bank you will find the results.

• Haha 2

Back in my more adventurous days I actually made a set of those things out of leather I got from soaking large dog chew "bones" in water to soften the leather, cutting it into strips and stretching it over a couple sassy frass branches I cut down out of my dads front yard.. Now that I think about it,, Bum,, your cache is a lot nicer looking than mine were.. Quick question, are you absolutely positive that you got both those Dutch White Wash shoes (aint saying the S word - Fool may be down but he aint out) from your buddy Carl? I always thought the Dutch only used one white wash shoe and that caused them to walk in a circle resulting in the person doing the walking always finding their way home for dinner... :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Can't let that go!!!! Reason you found those is that your mother probably had to use them a time or two,,, yah you made them look fancy and all with the wooden shoes,, but really they were called 'mattekloppers', used for cleaning floor mats and such, even the old style mattresses come spring. But the most use for them was when father wasn't available and mother had to threaten with the matteklopper, and I'm sure if you search back in your memory bank you will find the results.

I may or may not have been on the receiving end of a switch or belt a few times. We didn't live where Mattekloopers would be needed.