IGNORED

Hamm radio on my bike, things that make you go hhmmm.......

Jesusjunkie

One of our older members @GeorgeS from Seattle was into HAM and had it mounted on his '93VR.  I don't know if he's still around but you might check??  I do remember he had a couple of batteries mount in the saddles for power...  If no longer active you might try the HAM listings for Seattle...

• Like 1

@Jesusjunkie Welcome to the forum.  I've thought about installing ham radio equipment on my bikes, but I realized that I need 100% of my attention on the road and enjoy the ride itself.  That is what the HT is for...I take it with me all the time.  The only time I use the radio when mobile is when I am on my cager.  It takes a lot of planning and selecting the right equipment for your bike is the key.  VOX operation may be your best bet when it comes to tx/rx.  I am not trying to discourage you, but if you do install ham equipment on your bike...be safe out there.  73

5 hours ago, Condor said:

One of our older members @GeorgeS from Seattle was into HAM and had it mounted on his '93VR.  I don't know if he's still around but you might check??  I do remember he had a couple of batteries mount in the saddles for power...  If no longer active you might try the HAM listings for Seattle...

THANKS JACK - BEEN A WHILE!! I actually had the honor of meeting @GeorgeS years ago at the Venture West The Delles, Dalles, Dellas Rally  (how do you spell that @Condor :) ) .. I hope he chimes in as I would love to hear from him!!  If George was in Ham he will have the scoop on mounting on a scoot!! 

P.S. George - the speedometer worked AWESOME!!

Puc

• Like 1

Yeah, George and I shared one of the wildest rides I ever had on my old '83VR coming back from Ft Collins in Colorado.  We split off from the rest of group at Rock Springs WY and headed north.  Me to visit the kids in Shoshone ID, and George going back home to Seattle.  On they way we got hit with black storm clouds with 65mph winds out of the west.  The road was two lane with semi's headed south.  They'd pass us and we'd end up on their side of the highway when they'd block the wind, and then get blown back after they past.  I think the big advantage was the frame mounted fairing of the 1stGen.  A lot easier keeping control of the scoot.  We stopped in Karrammer WY for fuel and George's eyes were as big as saucers.  His remark... That had to be the worst conditions I've ever rode in!!  I think I had an advantage due to being a lot heavier and harder to shove around...  George being pn the lighter side..not so much...It's one ride I'll never forget...  🙂

• Like 2

I never setup a VHF or UHF rig on my bike, but I do remember reading an article in QST many years ago about a ham that rode his 1200CC Gold Wing to Alaska and back and operated HF Morse Code while riding along the Alaskan Highway.    I went to the QST web site (ARRL.ORG) and did a search for it, but all I could find was a mention of the article that said that it was in the July 93 QST, but their archive only went back to 2000.    The article I found today did say that it was a 10,500 mile trip

Frank D.   KA9J